David Lloyd George's pro-Nazi views

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Darth Vader

Re: David Lloyd George's pro-Nazi views

Post by Darth Vader » 30 Jun 2013, 19:06

It is a fact that David Lloyd George admired Adolf Hitler as a leader, sympathised with Nazi Germany as a regime and was strongly impressed by Nazism as an ideology.

Whether or not you accept this as pro-Nazism, it is unacceptable.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 01 Jul 2013, 15:29

Hi DV,

Certainly Lloyd George was impressed by Hitler personally, especially initially, as were many others.

Lloyd George was a pragmatic admirer of the state-sponsored public works programme in Germany as a means of alleviating unemployment. However, as both Stalin and Roosevelt also had similar state-sponsored public works programmes, this does not appear to be a defining characteristic of Nazism

I have seen no reference to his supposed admiration for Nazism as an ideology on this thread yet. Evidence please.

Sid.

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » 01 Jul 2013, 16:19

Hello Sid
Certainly Lloyd George was impressed by Hitler personally, especially initially, as were many others.
David Lloyd George expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler even after war had been declared.
Lloyd George was a pragmatic admirer of the state-sponsored public works programme in Germany as a means of alleviating unemployment.
David Lloyd George was an admirer of Nazi Germany including its public works programmes.
I have seen no reference to his supposed admiration for Nazism as an ideology on this thread yet. Evidence please.
For the third time: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=tRRo ... ud_r&cad=6

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 01 Jul 2013, 17:32

Hi DV,

No, none of the three quotes your link points to offer any evidence that Lloyd George had any admiration for Nazism as an ideology.

One does make the same accusation you are making, but it, too, offers absolutely no evidence.

I will believe anything if the evidence is there, so please provide some.

Cheers,

Sid.

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » 01 Jul 2013, 19:28

Hello Sid

Here is a link to the book which the three quotes derive from:
http://www.faber.co.uk/catalog/fellow-t ... 0571271320
How coincidental that the book's original cover was a picture of David Lloyd George and Adolf Hitler. :D

Harro

Post by Harro » 01 Jul 2013, 19:51

Darth Vader wrote:How coincidental that the book's original cover was a picture of David Lloyd George and Adolf Hitler. :D
Yes, being pictured with Adi must be conclusive prove that someone was pro-nazi...

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » 01 Jul 2013, 20:02

Yes, being pictured with Adi must be conclusive prove that someone was pro-nazi...
Considering that the book is about British Enthusiasts for Nazi Germany, David Lloyd George is the perfect paradigm.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 01 Jul 2013, 20:21

Hi DV,

Is that the sum total of your evidence? Some anonymous art director's choice of photo for a book cover decades later?

Are there no sourced quotes from Lloyd George regarding Nazi ideology in the book?

Lloyd George was certainly an embarrassingly gushing admirer of Hitler personally in 1936 and, although by 1940 a supporter of Churchill, believed Hitler a great (not good) man in 1940. Yet Lloyd George doesn't make it onto the list of public figures mentioned in the publisher's blurb.

Please, give us some sourced substantive evidence that Lloyd George was an admirer of Nazi ideology. Was it the racial theory? Was it the drive for lebensraum? Was it the one-part-state? Was it the Fuhrer Prinzip? Was it the militarization? Was it the corporatism? Strength Through Joy? Mass youth movements? Etc., etc.

Sid.

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » 01 Jul 2013, 20:48

Hello Sid
Are there no sourced quotes from Lloyd George regarding Nazi ideology in the book?
I assume that you do possess the necessary means to purchase the book.
Lloyd George was certainly an embarrassingly gushing admirer of Hitler personally
We agree on something then.
although by 1940 a supporter of Churchill
His support for Winston Churchill did not last long.
believed Hitler a great (not good) man in 1940.
He believed him to be a great man in 1936.
Yet Lloyd George doesn't make it onto the list of public figures mentioned in the publisher's blurb.
No, he features on the original front cover.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 02 Jul 2013, 02:39

Hi DV,

I presume from the above that you haven't actually seen the book you are citing as a reference. Conventionally, if one wants to cite something as evidence, one does at least read it first.

As you appear to have missed all my direct questions, I will help you by repeating them:

"Please, give us some sourced substantive evidence that Lloyd George was an admirer of Nazi ideology. Was it the racial theory? Was it the drive for lebensraum? Was it the one-part-state? Was it the Fuhrer Prinzip? Was it the militarization? Was it the corporatism? Strength Through Joy? Mass youth movements? Etc., etc."

Sid

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » 02 Jul 2013, 10:30

Hello Sid
I presume from the above that you haven't actually seen the book you are citing as a reference.
You are mistaken.
Conventionally, if one wants to cite something as evidence, one does at least read it first.
Which is why I have suggested the book for you to read.
"Please, give us some sourced substantive evidence that Lloyd George was an admirer of Nazi ideology. Was it the racial theory? Was it the drive for lebensraum? Was it the one-part-state? Was it the Fuhrer Prinzip? Was it the militarization? Was it the corporatism? Strength Through Joy? Mass youth movements? Etc., etc."
You will have your answer as to why David Lloyd George was strongly impressed by Nazism in the book.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 02 Jul 2013, 12:45

Hi DV

Your dodging the question(s) again!

Please answer Sid's question:-
If you can't then fine and I'll close the thread down

Regards

Andy H

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » 02 Jul 2013, 17:11

Hello Andy

If this thread was going to be closed down, it would have been done already.

Crazy_Ivan

Post by Crazy_Ivan » 02 Jul 2013, 19:39

It has not been shut down because there is the potential for a good discussion, but this is a research forum that requires substantive sources. You have not provided much, even that book you have provided, have you read some of the peer reviews? Some of the sources are 2nd and 3rd hand.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 03 Jul 2013, 00:14

Darth Vader -- There is a pending question for you. Answer it.

Unresponsive future posts from you will be deleted on sight, so as not to further spoil the thread.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”