British Army at home September 1940

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
RichTO90

Re: British Army at home September 1940

Post by RichTO90 » 01 Oct 2014, 22:50

RichTO90 wrote:
The attack on Lympne on 13 August was particularly heavy, with 400 bombs falling on the landing ground alone. Repairs were slow because construction workers had been sent to Manston to help with the attacks of the previous day. The Air Ministry sent 100 of its own building workers to help, and 150 men were found from firms in the surrounding district. When Lympne was attacked once more, on August 15, the local men were so upset that they left, with only a small alnding strip yet clear. They were induced back only to be hit by a third raid on 30 August. This time five local workers were killed when a bomb hit a slit trench; work was once more delayed. Park took advantage of this unfortunate history to press the Air Ministry to supply at least one bulldozer and one excavator at each aerodrome, and to allocate repairs from a central pool of government workers.
This, from AIR 2/7355, Headquarters, No. 11 Group, 12th September, 1940, p. 6, para. 40 (which was highlighted in the original), may be relevant.

"The attacks on our fighter aerodromes soon proved that the Air Ministry's arrangements for labour and equipment quickly to repair aerodrome surfaces were absolutely inadequate, and this has been made the subject of numerous signals and letters during the past four weeks."

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 01 Oct 2014, 23:28

Regarding the local AA defence of RAF airfields, it seems that in the 1930s the RAF considered various weapons such as the 40 mm Pom-Pom and the .5 Vickers MG, but decided in the end to spend its money on aircraft, so that on the outbreak of war only Lewis guns were available. The .303 Vickers K aircraft gun, which had a higher rate of fire than the Lewis or the Bren, was also considered but apparently no spare guns were available for ground use yet in 1940 (the SAS and Commandos used them later on).
To begin with...Pom-Poms were tested for the purpose but not used because of a serious design issue - their ordnance fell back to earth armed! Which is a serious issue...on an airfield with aircraft parked on it... :lol: See Oliver. The Bofors was preferred - but supplies of it were not available as the Army had first call, hence also the decision to opt for the Hispano, which was at least available...

The Vickers "K" gun had problems; as well as the previously-mentioned lack of ground-to-air AA sights, a common problem with a lot of the MGs used by the RAF, there had been an early but unsuccessful attempt to convert it to pistol grip operation. The SAS later used aircraft items mounted on extemporised post mounts...while the version used by the Commandos and the Free French Commandos was actually a different version of the "K" gun to the aircraft one; a variant that HAD been successfully adapted to pistol grip operation later in the war.
The .5 Vickers, while not as powerful as the American .50 Browning, would certainly have been an improvement on the Lewis as regards range and penetration of light armour plate; the twin version in armoured tubs as used by the Royal Navy on MTBs would have been very useful for airfield defence IMHO, certainly more so than oddball inventions like the Hamilton-Pickett turret.
Nothing oddball about the idea of the Pickett-Hamilton....for it meant there were three obstacles right in the middle of an airfield's flightline, getting in the way of any possible offensive landing by enemy aircraft. The only problem is they didn't become available as we know until into 1941...and using Vickers.5in MGs at every airfield would have meant supplying large stiocks of yet another ammunition type for the RAF. It was bad enough when they started mixing old .303 MkVII Lewis Guns and .300 American-made Lewis Guns on the same airfield...
The 20 mm Hispano guns became available in 1940 because production was ahead of that of the aircraft intended to be armed with it; according to a report by the 6th AA Division (Official History) they did not give entire satisfaction but nevertheless they remained in use for a long time on various fronts - the third IWM picture is from North Africa 1942 allegedly.
The problem was essentially its single barrel/gun installation as used by the ground gunners. Otherwise the Hispano cannons in the hands of ground gunners did score some AA kills during the BoB.

And finally...
Regarding the local AA defence of RAF airfields, it seems that in the 1930s the RAF considered various weapons such as the 40 mm Pom-Pom and the .5 Vickers MG, but decided in the end to spend its money on aircraft
...spending was not an RAF issue; it was in the hands of the Air Ministry.

But more specifically, the RAF through the 1930s actually looked to concealment and camoflage for protection rather than an RAF ground defence role. The MGs and men to crew them sent to France were sent because, as noted previously, the Army couldn't and wouldn't guarantee to provide the airfield protection it had agreed to...and the French Army-provided airfield protection melted away after May 10th.
According to a (short) history of the RAF Regiment:
...which I see you're choosing NOT to link us to; I can understand why, as even it's very first sentence -
"In 1937 the Air Council directed that flying stations were to be issued with up to 8 Vickers or Lewis guns for Anti Aircraft Defence
...contains multiple mistakes. See Oliver.
In Sept. 1939, 100 Lewis Guns for Anti Aircraft Defence went to France with the AASF, supplemented by later additions of Lewis guns and Ground Gunners In May 1940, there were 433 machine guns and 835 Ground Gunners.

In Great Britain, 365 RAF stations were equiped with Anti Aircraft Machine guns manned by 3000 Ground Gunners, subsequently supplemented by 376 Hispano 20mm cannon on ground mountings."
I'm not sure why you bothered with that, as it's so lacking in detail and precise dates that it's next to useless. Get a look at Oliver instead.
Apart from AA machine guns, it seems that RAF stations also had MGs purely for ground defence; RAF Eastchurch, for example, received 5 .303 Vickers ground MGs for local defence in August 1940. The 2nd Kensingtons (MG battalion) were requested to provide instructors.
I hope you're really not extrapolating the one (1) issue you know of of .5 Vickers across the entire service...!
And allow me to point out once more that it's REALLY not necessary to quote and comment on every single sentence I write - I'm sure our readers would be greatly relieved if you would limit your comments to those rare occasions where you have something worthwhile to say.
And as *I* noted before, I'm only commenting on those sentences where it's appropriate and necessary. It's not my problem that so many are...
Last edited by phylo_roadking on 02 Oct 2014, 00:06, edited 2 times in total.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 01 Oct 2014, 23:46

Would you please stop playing childish games?
Indeed. We BOTH should...
Any chance we could see the ENTIRE paragraph rather than one sentence taken out of context? P.125 happens to be one page of James that I can't see online.
I'm not using "James" or Google Books, I'm using the original, which I have been recommending to you for some time. The "chance" would depend on whether I feel it necessary to demonstrate further how far off you are in your assumptions based upon secondary sources and wish to spend the time transcribing it to do so.
Do I take it from that you don't know what "James" is?
It may have been in Care& Maintenance, but it was in use as a forward dispersal field by squadrons at Biggin. No, there were no squadrons posted there - but it was operating as a dispersal field. Same as Manston; I would hate to have to go through Tony Robinson's RAF Fighter Squadrons in the Battle Of Britain page by page to note down the number of times a flight or flights or occasionally a whole squadron was dispersed forward to operate out of Manston, serviced by No.600 Sqn's ground staff - including the occasion when all of the aircraft of one squadron were taking off when Manston was raided 8O...but I know you're aware this forward dispersal occured.
Oddly enough, I was aware that after it had been transferred from the RN to the RAF it was intended to use Lympne as a dispersal field, but its deficiencies as such were quickly realized and it was no longer being utilized as such by the time of the 12 August raid.
I'd like to see an original source for that - and not the one already used. As there is no mention of such a decision in the Lympne ORB. You may remember that I've already noted that there also no mention of any actual forward dispersals from Biggin in the ORB, but that's not the same thing as confirming there had been a hard policy decision/change.
In the contrary - there is zero evidence they were civilian workers or Air Ministry workers. If there was, Overy wouldn't have described those who arrived at Lympne AFTER the August 12th raid in the way he did. And if they were Ministry of Works civilian workers, they wouldn't have been under RAF authority to send to Manston anyway...
Your quote from Overy:
The attack on Lympne on 13 August was particularly heavy, with 400 bombs falling on the landing ground alone. Repairs were slow because construction workers had been sent to Manston to help with the attacks of the previous day. The Air Ministry sent 100 of its own building workers to help, and 150 men were found from firms in the surrounding district. When Lympne was attacked once more, on August 15, the local men were so upset that they left, with only a small alnding strip yet clear. They were induced back only to be hit by a third raid on 30 August. This time five local workers were killed when a bomb hit a slit trench; work was once more delayed. Park took advantage of this unfortunate history to press the Air Ministry to supply at least one bulldozer and one excavator at each aerodrome, and to allocate repairs from a central pool of government workers.
Now, the problem, which had already been pointed out to you and that you should immediately have noticed. Lympne was not bombed on 13 August. It was bombed on 12 August, the same day Manston was bombed. How were workers sent from Lympne to Manston to repair damage from the "previous day" when in fact it was the same day?
So are you saying they weren't sent, and that Overy is incorrect?
It's not an assumption - Overy's use of English clearly indicates that (snip)
Forgive me, but Overy's use of English only indicates that he is seriously confused by the sequence of events in this case. Mind you, it might be helpful if you could identify what source or sources Overy used in confusing these sequence of events. Or are you unable to access the page in Google Books where that is found?
Not at all....the paragraph is just not footnoted. And you're assuming he was confused about the sequence of events...and not just the one date.
This, from AIR 2/7355, Headquarters, No. 11 Group, 12th September, 1940, p. 6, para. 40 (which was highlighted in the original), may be relevant.

"The attacks on our fighter aerodromes soon proved that the Air Ministry's arrangements for labour and equipment quickly to repair aerodrome surfaces were absolutely inadequate,..."
Relevant to the issue of the preparations being inadequate - as I noted previously from James...that is, the positioning of the works depots and their heavy plant, the pre-positioning of stocks of filler for craters etc..

But this is interesting -
...and this has been made the subject of numerous signals and letters during the past four weeks
...in that it confirms that Keith Park had indeed been rocking the boat... :D
Park took advantage of this unfortunate history to press the Air Ministry to supply at least one bulldozer and one excavator at each aerodrome, and to allocate repairs from a central pool of government workers.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 02 Oct 2014, 00:51

phylo_roadking wrote:Indeed. We BOTH should...
Good. I will if you will.
Do I take it from that you don't know what "James" is?
Phylo, of course I know what "James" is. It is the published transcription of AIR 41/15 with the appendices and maps in AIR 41/16. However, I thought we were going to stop playing childish games?
I'd like to see an original source for that - and not the one already used. As there is no mention of such a decision in the Lympne ORB. You may remember that I've already noted that there also no mention of any actual forward dispersals from Biggin in the ORB, but that's not the same thing as confirming there had been a hard policy decision/change.
I just quoted the "original source" for that so just what is your problem with it? I could also refer you to pages 75-77, which address the difficulties with using forward bases along the coast and the pressures put on 11. Group to do so. Significantly, while Manston and Hawkinge in fact are mentioned specifically as being periodically used for forward basing, with dates, Lympne is not. Nor does Lympne feature as a base of origin for the various combats of the period, which are extensively detailed on a daily basis by mission. Nor does it appear in "Combats and Casualties", AIR 16/1960-962, which we mined extensively for data for the BoB Database. I will continue to look for a primary source reference, but...
So are you saying they weren't sent, and that Overy is incorrect?
No, I am saying they could not have been sent as Overy states they were, because the "day before" there was no attack on Manston; they occurred on the same day. I am afraid I am at a loss as to why you fail to see the conundrum. Further, given we now have a primary source that refers directly to the problems with Air Ministry workers, it seems to me the burden is now on you to show some evidence that Overy didn't somehow scramble things. Again, what reference does he give for that passage?
Not at all....the paragraph is just not footnoted. And you're assuming he was confused about the sequence of events...and not just the one date.
Oh, if there is no footnote then I'm afraid this is simply a suspect secondary source that cannot be confirmed. Given the glaring date error and the problem with sequencing, I am afraid I have to place greater weight on the primary source.
Relevant to the issue of the preparations being inadequate - as I noted previously from James...that is, the positioning of the works depots and their heavy plant, the pre-positioning of stocks of filler for craters etc..
I missed the reference; what page was it in "James" so I can confirm from the original?
But this is interesting -
Yes, it would be even more interesting if Overy hadn't sloppily missed referencing it so that we could confirm the context.

BTW, the remarks WRT AA defenses are also interesting. Light AA Guns (Bofors, Vickers, 2-pdr (Mk.VIII) and 3" (Case 1)) guns are noted as "deployed fir the defence of industrial and communication V.P.s, R.A.F. stations and R.D.F. stations." 1st and 6th AA Division in 11. Group's area had 171 as of 21 August. AA Light Machineguns (Lewis and Hispano) were "deployed chiefly at searchlight sites and R.A.F. stations". There were 582 of those. Somewhere they give more detail on the guns allocated to defend industry, so we may be able to narrow down the numbers more.
Last edited by RichTO90 on 02 Oct 2014, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 02 Oct 2014, 02:28

RichTO90 wrote:I just quoted the "original source" for that so just what is your problem with it? I could also refer you to pages 75-77, which address the difficulties with using forward bases along the coast and the pressures put on 11. Group to do so. Significantly, while Manston and Hawkinge in fact are mentioned specifically as being periodically used for forward basing, with dates, Lympne is not. Nor does Lympne feature as a base of origin for the various combats of the period, which are extensively detailed on a daily basis by mission. Nor does it appear in "Combats and Casualties", AIR 16/1960-962, which we mined extensively for data for the BoB Database. I will continue to look for a primary source reference, but...
The note on page 230 is also relevant.

The organisation for airfield repair was primarily the responsibility of the Air Ministry Works Directorate. At this time the first line of defence, so to speak, consisted of detachments of Royal Engineers, usually sixty strong, which were stationed at over twenty stations south of the Thames and as far west as Middle Wallop. Then there were twenty-seven Works Repair depots in various parts of the country so located as to be central to a group of airfields. The number of men in each varied from fifty to two hundred; and reserves of equipment, including bulldozers, excavators, mobile generating plants, petrol and water pumps, and more electrical repair equipment were held at these depots. Stocks of hard core, clinkers, and ashes had been laid down at all stations prior to the battle, but they proved insufficient to deal with a major attack.

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 02 Oct 2014, 13:01

If Lympne was one of those over twenty RAF stations south of the Thames where a detachment of 60 R.E.s was stationed, the place is really getting crowded now, with 250-300 RAF personnel, up to 300 infantry and AA gunners, and at one point up to 250 construction workers, who, if I understand Phylo correctly, were actually all Grenadier Guards in disguise - or something like that. :milwink:
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 02 Oct 2014, 13:55

Knouterer wrote:If Lympne was one of those over twenty RAF stations south of the Thames where a detachment of 60 R.E.s was stationed, the place is really getting crowded now, with 250-300 RAF personnel, up to 300 infantry and AA gunners, and at one point up to 250 construction workers, who, if I understand Phylo correctly, were actually all Grenadier Guards in disguise - or something like that. :milwink:
I doubt that the RE were stationed there. I would imagine they were prioritized to those airfields used for daily operations. Manston probably had one for instance, but it was likely relocated along with the rest of the operational personnel after the 24 August attack that closed down daily operations there.

The first attack on Lympne on 12 August did some damage to the buildings there, but left the landing ground usable. The second attack that day cratered the field and did further damage to the buildings, but left a strip usable for emergency use, which was all it was used for anyway. The 15 August attack further cratered the airfield, leaving it unusable for operations of any kind, until a narrow strip for emergency use was opened sometime in the next 48 hours. The 20 August attack did no significant further damage. The 2 September attack did further damage. I suspect that an Air Ministry team augmented by local contractors was used there, but gave up after it became evident that the airfield and the workers were vulnerable to further attack...but that minimal work was all that was required to leave the narrow emergency strip available, which was all that was wanted anyway.

Gooner1

Post by Gooner1 » 02 Oct 2014, 14:09

Knouterer wrote:
In Great Britain, 365 RAF stations were equiped with Anti Aircraft Machine guns manned by 3000 Ground Gunners, subsequently supplemented by 376 Hispano 20mm cannon on ground mountings."

Apart from AA machine guns, it seems that RAF stations also had MGs purely for ground defence; RAF Eastchurch, for example, received 5 .303 Vickers ground MGs for local defence in August 1940. The 2nd Kensingtons (MG battalion) were requested to provide instructors.
I expect any Station commander worth his salt would ensure that a number of Brownings were kept 'off the books'.

Although not necessarily to be used like that. :D

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 02 Oct 2014, 21:01

Significantly, while Manston and Hawkinge in fact are mentioned specifically as being periodically used for forward basing, with dates, Lympne is not. Nor does Lympne feature as a base of origin for the various combats of the period, which are extensively detailed on a daily basis by mission. Nor does it appear in "Combats and Casualties", AIR 16/1960-962, which we mined extensively for data for the BoB Database. I will continue to look for a primary source reference, but...
Manston and Hawkinge are different; the dispersals to there are longer-duration "detachments" rather than daytime-only dispersals. Biggin Hill aircraft dispersed forward to RAF Lympne would still show their "base of origin" as Biggin; they would fly back to Biggin to their own mechanics every evening. Also, as noted before, Manston was up to August an "operational" field, with No. 600 Sqn there...and there was a detachment of 141 Sqn's Defiant nightfighters at Hawkinge while the squadron is actually listed at Turnhouse in Scotland in September, and there were day fighter squadrons there right up to the end of July IIRC.
No, I am saying they could not have been sent as Overy states they were, because the "day before" there was no attack on Manston; they occurred on the same day. I am afraid I am at a loss as to why you fail to see the conundrum.

No, I see your conundrum; you're bound up with the dates, but what's important is the events. Which the date confusion still doesn't prove didn't happen.
Further, given we now have a primary source that refers directly to the problems with Air Ministry workers, it seems to me the burden is now on you to show some evidence that Overy didn't somehow scramble things.
No we don't; we have a source dated a full month after the mid-August raids discussing the Air Ministry's workers and level of preparation, a source that actually CONFIRMS exactly what Overy said.
Again, what reference does he give for that passage
Again, it isn't footnoted/referenced.
Oh, if there is no footnote then I'm afraid this is simply a suspect secondary source that cannot be confirmed. Given the glaring date error and the problem with sequencing, I am afraid I have to place greater weight on the primary source.
Except

1/ we know that the raid on Manston occured on the 12th; as Overy says it did. It's the raid on Lympne he's confused about, not the Manston details.

2/ your OTHER primary source confirms one of the elements noted by Overy in that passage.

3/ Kentfallen, the Lympne ORB etc. confirm the other events at Lympne, such as the deaths of the civilian workers later in the month.

As I said before, all that's visibly wrong is the Lympne raid date. Everything else is either confirmed - or still too opaque to say didn't happen as Overy states.
I missed the reference; what page was it in "James" so I can confirm from the original?
Footnote no.43, p. 131.

EDIT: - I see you've found the note in the original http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1900140
Yes, it would be even more interesting if Overy hadn't sloppily missed referencing it so that we could confirm the context.
Overy provides enough - remember who was AOC at "Headquarters, No. 11 Group"...
Park took advantage of this unfortunate history to press the Air Ministry to supply at least one bulldozer and one excavator at each aerodrome, and to allocate repairs from a central pool of government workers.
BTW, the remarks WRT AA defenses are also interesting. Light AA Guns (Bofors, Vickers, 2-pdr (Mk.VIII) and 3" (Case 1)) guns are noted as "deployed fir the defence of industrial and communication V.P.s, R.A.F. stations and R.D.F. stations." 1st and 6th AA Division in 11. Group's area had 171 as of 21 August. AA Light Machineguns (Lewis and Hispano) were "deployed chiefly at searchlight sites and R.A.F. stations". There were 582 of those. Somewhere they give more detail on the guns allocated to defend industry, so we may be able to narrow down the numbers more.
I doubt you'll do it by teasing apart the RAF allocation of guns from the Army's deployed AA assets if the sources are written up like that, mashing the two together; what I'm interested in is the RAF's ground defence allocations for airfields only; not the Army guns. We know what AA Command weapons the Army had at Lympne - two Bofors and crews. We don't know at present what the RAF had there, we can only work with the establishment figures and regard them as minimums.

What we need to do is find defence schemes for particular airfields such at Lympne and count the number of RAF positions. It's not the number of actual barrels that determined the allocation of ground gunners per airfield - it was the number of positions, with six men per position/crew. According to Oliver, that was one of the failings of the Air Ministry's approach to ground defence for RAF airfields; a single Lewis Gun installation in a position was allocated on paper six "ground gunners"...a twin-mount Lewis was allocated - six ground gunners. And if the pretty quad-mount Lewis installation had ever worked properly and been introduced, it would have been crewed by....six ground gunners! :P

We hardly EVER see six ground gunners at an RAF-manned position in pictures...but that was the "establishment" figure accounted for on paper. That way of doing it led to major manpower issues into 1941; SO many extra guns were found and allocated to RAF airfields that there were nearly 25,000 RAF personnel allocated to man them! 8O The Air Ministry had to cut the ground gunner allocation per gun and send as many heads as they could off for re-training!

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 02 Oct 2014, 21:04

Knouterer wrote:If Lympne was one of those over twenty RAF stations south of the Thames where a detachment of 60 R.E.s was stationed, the place is really getting crowded now, with 250-300 RAF personnel, up to 300 infantry and AA gunners, and at one point up to 250 construction workers, who, if I understand Phylo correctly, were actually all Grenadier Guards in disguise - or something like that. :milwink:
No you don't understand me correctly. Not a suprise.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 02 Oct 2014, 21:23

I doubt that the RE were stationed there. I would imagine they were prioritized to those airfields used for daily operations. Manston probably had one for instance, but it was likely relocated along with the rest of the operational personnel after the 24 August attack that closed down daily operations there.
Actually - that's over twenty fields south of the Thames and as far west as Middle Wallop...in other words, 11 Group-used fields south of the Thames. And even counting Lympne there's less than twentyof those 8O so there must also have been RE allocations to Coastal Command and possibly Fleet Air Arm stations within that geographical description to reach a total of "over twenty".

Also - I don't see why there wouldn't be any RE allocation for Lympne to begin with; "Care&Maintenance" means that an airfield is kept in full working order, ready for immediate occupancy if required. If a field under Care&Maintenance was damaged, particularly those fields down at the coast and vulnerable, there would have to be facilities there to repair them.

And, as we're frequently reminded, it WAS a "Class I" airfield...

But it's likely that if there had been an RE allocation for RAF Lympne - then it too was "evacuated" in Mid-August. RE construction troops are as vulnerable to all the issues of lack of accomodation etc. as RAF personnel...

As for Manston, I've a feeling they stayed; in discussions of the "Manston Mutiny" around the net there's often mention of "pioneer corps" troops staying there all the way through the BoB. I think that's just a misidentification...but there were Army labourers of some type there all the way through.
The first attack on Lympne on 12 August did some damage to the buildings there, but left the landing ground usable. The second attack that day cratered the field and did further damage to the buildings, but left a strip usable for emergency use, which was all it was used for anyway. The 15 August attack further cratered the airfield, leaving it unusable for operations of any kind, until a narrow strip for emergency use was opened sometime in the next 48 hours. The 20 August attack did no significant further damage. The 2 September attack did further damage. I suspect that an Air Ministry team augmented by local contractors was used there, but gave up after it became evident that the airfield and the workers were vulnerable to further attack...but that minimal work was all that was required to leave the narrow emergency strip available, which was all that was wanted anyway
I think you're forgetting something. It's not just craters that caused problems on RAF airfields such as Lypmne after a raid - it's the percentage of unexploded German bombs. It's not just that craters have to be filled in, those UXBs have to be found and made safe for an airfield to be useable. The whole flightline and apron has to be safed, even if aircraft can only physically land on a narrow strip.

In regards to your idea that they just stopped work at the beginning of September having done an absolute minimum...I doubt this; the thing about aircraft in distress is that pilots don't always have the opportunity to go round again if they're on the wrong approach line :wink: They might just need to put down anywhere inside an airfield's perimeter they can reach...if they actually make it that far on approach. Personally, I would read the ORB-recorded instances of narrow strips etc. as the exceptions to the rule I.E. they were the times when use of Lympne as an ELG was restricted to a narrow strip; on all other occasions it would ALL have to be useable and safe. What was the point of even using it as an ELG otherwise, if doing so required a degree of control that a pilot in distress couldn't guarantee?
Last edited by phylo_roadking on 02 Oct 2014, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 02 Oct 2014, 21:35

I expect any Station commander worth his salt would ensure that a number of Brownings were kept 'off the books'.

...Although not necessarily to be used like that. :D

Hardly. Who was going to use them even if they could be cobbled into some form that could be fired "by hand" on the ground? Have you read the comments on who was to use the RAF's ground defences? If you keep guns "off the books" you don't get the ground gunners necessary for them...and what happens when any defence scheme details that pass back up the line of command then shows more guns and RAF ground defence positions than an airfield is supposed to have been allocated from whatever source? :lol:

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 02 Oct 2014, 22:22

phylo_roadking wrote:Manston and Hawkinge are different; the dispersals to there are longer-duration "detachments" rather than daytime-only dispersals. Biggin Hill aircraft dispersed forward to RAF Lympne would still show their "base of origin" as Biggin; they would fly back to Biggin to their own mechanics every evening. Also, as noted before, Manston was up to August an "operational" field, with No. 600 Sqn there...and there was a detachment of 141 Sqn's Defiant nightfighters at Hawkinge while the squadron is actually listed at Turnhouse in Scotland in September, and there were day fighter squadrons there right up to the end of July IIRC.
Sorry, I understand all that very well, and how such confusions could occur from using secondary sources. However, the primary sources describe where the various flights took off from - not where they were based - since they were taken from the original squadron records. Lympne simply doesn't appear as a point of origin in August, before or after the attacks on the airfields began. And, as you say, Manston was different and was used as an operational base - until 24 August 1940 after which it wasn't used at all for some time.
No, I see your conundrum; you're bound up with the dates, but what's important is the events. Which the date confusion still doesn't prove didn't happen.
I'm afraid the conundrum is yours and Overy's, not mine. You see, we know very well exactly when the bombings took place and the sequence of events on the airfields, so it is impossible for workers at Lympne to have been sent to Manston to repair damage that occurred the "day before". Sure they could have been sent days after, but that simply calls the veracity of Overy's transcription even further into question. Here is the actual sequence:

12 August - two raids on Lympne, the second of which made it U/S except for a "narrow strip". Manston was hit and knocked out, but was serviceable on the 13th. Lympne was then hit on the 15th and was U/S for 48 hours. It was hit again on the 20th, but without significant damage. On the 24th Manston was severely hit and knocked out - initially it was "temporarily vacated" and then "permanently vacated" (in the sense of the "battle" that is. Lympne was again hit on the 30th, but without significant effect. On 2 September Lympne was hit yet again, but was considered still usable as a ELG.
No we don't; we have a source dated a full month after the mid-August raids discussing the Air Ministry's workers and level of preparation, a source that actually CONFIRMS exactly what Overy said.
Oh dear...here's the quote with my comments in brackets.

"The attack on Lympne on 13 August [it was 12 August] was particularly heavy, with 400 bombs falling on the landing ground alone [yes, but there were two attacks and only the second did any real damage to the landing ground and even there it was operational for the purpose it was intended on the following day]. Repairs were slow [so slow that it was operational for the purpose it was used for the next day] because construction workers had been sent to Manston to help with the attacks of the previous day [there was no attack on Manston the previous day, so no reason to send workers from Lympne to Manston]. The Air Ministry sent 100 of its own building workers to help, and 150 men were found from firms in the surrounding district [to Lympne? Or Manston? When? Are these the ones sent the previous day - 11 August - to Manston to repair damage that hadn't occurred?]. When Lympne was attacked once more, on August 15, the local men [so the 150 men that went to Manston to repair damage that hadn't occurred returned to Lympne?] were so upset that they left, with only a small alnding strip yet clear [the small strip had already been cleared by the 13th and remained clear on the 15th]. They were induced back only to be hit by a third raid on 30 August. This time five local workers were killed when a bomb hit a slit trench; work was once more delayed. Park took advantage of this unfortunate history to press the Air Ministry to supply at least one bulldozer and one excavator at each aerodrome, and to allocate repairs from a central pool of government workers [the actual assessment simply included the damage to Manston and Lympne, along with nine other stations, as evidence for the change in requirement]."
Again, it isn't footnoted/referenced.
Yes, I got that and I'm afraid it is a red flag.
Except

1/ we know that the raid on Manston occured on the 12th; as Overy says it did. It's the raid on Lympne he's confused about, not the Manston details.
Except the sequence of events he describes cannot happen.
2/ your OTHER primary source confirms one of the elements noted by Overy in that passage.
The only thing it "confirms" of Overy is that in late August, after the assessment of the airfield attacks, Park pressed for that action. Otherwise, there is no evidence to confirm the movement of workers and no evidence for those workers being other than Air Ministry or local contract labor, unless an RE complement was moved, which is possible of course.
3/ Kentfallen, the Lympne ORB etc. confirm the other events at Lympne, such as the deaths of the civilian workers later in the month.
Why yes, which actually only confirms the deaths of civilian contract workers at Lympne and nothing else.
As I said before, all that's visibly wrong is the Lympne raid date. Everything else is either confirmed - or still too opaque to say didn't happen as Overy states.
You need to explain exactly how you think the real events conform to Overy's account.
EDIT: - I see you've found the note in the original http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1900140
Yep.
Overy provides enough - remember who was AOC at "Headquarters, No. 11 Group"...
He provides enough? Did you note that both the A.O.C. 11. Group and the A.O.C.-in C. concurred in the inadequacy of the measure, but there is no note regarding the measures taken. Did you also note the textual reference to Manston?
Again, Overy fails to reference where that comes from; it would be nice to know.
I doubt you'll do it by teasing apart the RAF allocation of guns from the Army's deployed AA assets if the sources are written up like that, mashing the two together; what I'm interested in is the RAF's ground defence allocations for airfields only; not the Army guns. We know what AA Command weapons the Army had at Lympne - two Bofors and crews. We don't know at present what the RAF had there, we can only work with the establishment figures and regard them as minimums.
Those are not RAF allocations of guns. They are the guns allocated to the RA AA divisions and the missions they were tasked with. The divisions were all directed to cooperate with the FC Group in whise zone they were deployed. RAF allocations are a different matter.
What we need to do is find defence schemes for particular airfields such at Lympne and count the number of RAF positions.
That's a bit obsessive and given the small number of RAF gun allocations - until later as you note - unlikely to change things significantly in August-September 1940.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 02 Oct 2014, 22:35

phylo_roadking wrote:Actually - that's over twenty fields south of the Thames and as far west as Middle Wallop...in other words, 11 Group-used fields south of the Thames. And even counting Lympne there's less than twentyof those 8O so there must also have been RE allocations to Coastal Command and possibly Fleet Air Arm stations within that geographical description to reach a total of "over twenty".
Yep...OTOH its a pretty imprecise geographic description too. It could well be they all had an RE complement...or we may simply not know exactly what they included.
Also - I don't see why there wouldn't be any RE allocation for Lympne to begin with; "Care&Maintenance" means that an airfield is kept in full working order, ready for immediate occupancy if required. If a field under Care&Maintenance was damaged, particularly those fields down at the coast and vulnerable, there would have to be facilities there to repair them.
True as well.
And, as we're frequently reminded, it WAS a "Class I" airfield...

But it's likely that if there had been an RE allocation for RAF Lympne - then it too was "evacuated" in Mid-August. RE construction troops are as vulnerable to all the issues of lack of accomodation etc. as RAF personnel...
Technically, Lympne wasn't "evacuated"; Manston after 24 August comes closest to that description.
As for Manston, I've a feeling they stayed; in discussions of the "Manston Mutiny" around the net there's often mention of "pioneer corps" troops staying there all the way through the BoB. I think that's just a misidentification...but there were Army labourers of some type there all the way through.
Again, it could be, since exactly what was "evacuated" appears to have been the operational units and their operational support elements. The station C&M element may have remained - the language is imprecise and it would have been logical to maintain a caretaker presence even if a flying element wasn't there.
I think you're forgetting something. It's not just craters that caused problems on RAF airfields such as Lypmne after a raid - it's the percentage of unexploded German bombs. It's not just that craters have to be filled in, those UXBs have to be found and made safe for an airfield to be useable. The whole flightline and apron has to be safed, even if aircraft can only physically land on a narrow strip.
That was counted as a problem at Manston and led to its "abandonment", but was not assessed as a problem at Lympne.
In regards to your idea that they just stopped work at the beginning of September having done an absolute minimum...I doubt this; the thing about aircraft in distress is that pilots don't always have the opportunity to go round again if they're on the wrong approach line :wink: They might just need to put down anywhere inside an airfield's perimeter they can reach...if they actually make it that far on approach. Personally, I would read the ORB-recorded instances of narrow strips etc. as the exceptions to the rule I.E. they were the times when use of Lympne as an ELG was restricted to a narrow strip; on all other occasions it would ALL have to be useable and safe. What was the point of even using it as an ELG otherwise, if doing so required a degree of control that a pilot in distress couldn't guarantee?
That's nice...except that is not the way its condition was recorded. Work of some sort likely was continued at Lympne, if not Manston, but it is all rather moot since nobody used it except as an ELG after 2 September.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 02 Oct 2014, 23:37

Oh dear...here's the quote with my comments in brackets.

"The attack on Lympne on 13 August [it was 12 August] was particularly heavy, with 400 bombs falling on the landing ground alone [yes, but there were two attacks and only the second did any real damage to the landing ground and even there it was operational for the purpose it was intended on the following day]. Repairs were slow [so slow that it was operational for the purpose it was used for the next day] because construction workers had been sent to Manston to help with the attacks of the previous day [there was no attack on Manston the previous day, so no reason to send workers from Lympne to Manston]. The Air Ministry sent 100 of its own building workers to help, and 150 men were found from firms in the surrounding district [to Lympne? Or Manston? When? Are these the ones sent the previous day - 11 August - to Manston to repair damage that hadn't occurred?]. When Lympne was attacked once more, on August 15, the local men [so the 150 men that went to Manston to repair damage that hadn't occurred returned to Lympne?] were so upset that they left, with only a small alnding strip yet clear [the small strip had already been cleared by the 13th and remained clear on the 15th]. They were induced back only to be hit by a third raid on 30 August. This time five local workers were killed when a bomb hit a slit trench; work was once more delayed. Park took advantage of this unfortunate history to press the Air Ministry to supply at least one bulldozer and one excavator at each aerodrome, and to allocate repairs from a central pool of government workers [the actual assessment simply included the damage to Manston and Lympne, along with nine other stations, as evidence for the change in requirement]."
I don't think you've got what I meant there; your source is dated september 12th...a calendar month after the events began on the 12th of August that prompted Park's correspondence. Your reference confirms that in his eyes (and Winston's incidently, he visited Manston on the 12th!) the preparations were inadequate, and that he began to agitate...

What Overy's passage records is the panic measures the Air Ministry took in the immediate aftermath of the attacks on the 12th because of that inadequacy - rushing their own repair depot workers to Lympne, employing local workers etc.. The HQ , 11 Group reference confirms is yes, preparations WERE viewed inadequate and Park began trying to do something about it...

But his longer-term view across the period from 12th August to 12th September and what was needed is different from the immediate actions taken by the Air Ministry on or after the 12th. In effect - what THEY did was react to the events of the 12th of August and threw MEN at the problem from various sources...and kept on doing so, using local workers. What Park was saying is they needed instead to have the necessary PLANT closer at hand.
You see, we know very well exactly when the bombings took place and the sequence of events on the airfields, so it is impossible for workers at Lympne to have been sent to Manston to repair damage that occurred the "day before".
Look again at what Overy said - "Repairs were slow because construction workers had been sent to Manston to help with the attacks of the previous day". If you take out the bit referring to the incorrect date...what do you have?
Repairs were slow because construction workers had been sent to Manston to help with the attacks...
THAT's my point about it only being the date of the raid on Lympne that's wrong. If you take out just the bits arising from the incorrect date...we still have a cohesive account. And that is why I'm waiting to see the Manston ORB - to see what it says about the men sent from Lympne. Overy must have got it from somewhere, yes - and yes, we don't know where...but the Manston ORB is the obvious first port of call.
Except the sequence of events he describes cannot happen
NOW do you see what I mean? Overy may be incorrect about the date the men were sent from Lympne...but that doesn't necessarily mean he's incorrect about the OTHER side of the equation, them being sent to Manston.
Here is the actual sequence:

12 August - two raids on Lympne, the second of which made it U/S except for a "narrow strip". Manston was hit and knocked out, but was serviceable on the 13th. Lympne was then hit on the 15th and was U/S for 48 hours. It was hit again on the 20th, but without significant damage. On the 24th Manston was severely hit and knocked out - initially it was "temporarily vacated" and then "permanently vacated" (in the sense of the "battle" that is. Lympne was again hit on the 30th, but without significant effect. On 2 September Lympne was hit yet again, but was considered still usable as a ELG.
That's the sequence of the raids and the serviceability - but what I'm interested in is the sequence of the remedial actions taken. Because according to Overy one of those actions is the transfer of men from Lympne to Manston. That's what I meant several posts back about you getting hung up on the actual arfield serviceability dates. It's what he says about the remedial actions that has bearing on the personnel at Lympne...or not.
The only thing it "confirms" of Overy is that in late August, after the assessment of the airfield attacks, Park pressed for that action. Otherwise, there is no evidence to confirm the movement of workers and no evidence for those workers being other than Air Ministry or local contract labor, unless an RE complement was moved, which is possible of course.
Yes. That's why I said ONE of the elements...and that's why I said a couple of posts ago it only had limited relevance to the discussion at hand, the Park correspondance bit only.
Why yes, which actually only confirms the deaths of civilian contract workers at Lympne and nothing else.
No, it directly confirms one other important thing...they were there, working, to BE killed; as Overy states -
They were induced back only to be hit by a third raid on 30 August. This time five local workers were killed when a bomb hit a slit trench; work was once more delayed.
But look at exactly what he says about them...
They were induced back only to be hit by a third raid on 30 August. This time five local workers were killed when a bomb hit a slit trench; work was once more delayed.
...which by inference therefore confirms -
When Lympne was attacked once more, on August 15, the local men were so upset that they left, with only a small alnding strip yet clear...
They had to go away on the 15th, as Overy says, to be induced BACK ;)

To address a couple of your additional notes...
[to Lympne? Or Manston? When? Are these the ones sent the previous day - 11 August - to Manston to repair damage that hadn't occurred?]
To Lympne; the paragraph is about the attack(s) on Lympne...whatever the date. It's a Lympne-centred paragraph and account, the Manston stuff is peripheral to the main topic of his account.

And no they're not the as-yest unidentified ones that went to Manston; "The Air Ministry sent 100 of its own building workers to help, and 150 men were found from firms in the surrounding district..." - These 150 local workers were NEWLY contracted on that day. In other words - the 100 Air Ministry workers and the 150 local contracted labourers were sent to Lympne immediately after the raid of the 12th...they were needed because repairs were slow - the inference being that this was in turn because some element of Lympne's own cconstruction/repair complement had been sent off-site.
Did you note that both the A.O.C. 11. Group and the A.O.C.-in C. concurred in the inadequacy of the measure, but there is no note regarding the measures taken.
Yes, I noted that a few pages back now. But looking at Overy's account - he'd only been making concrete (sic) suggestions since the 30th of August...and the Air Ministry was hardly going to be able to rejig its entire damage repair organisation, including the depots it had rented or had had constructed for them, in just two weeks?. Park had the ability to get right up people's noses; there's every chance the correspondance was filed in someone's bottom drawer...
Again, Overy fails to reference where that comes from; it would be nice to know.
Well, it reads like an extract from a letter or letters...
"The attacks on our fighter aerodromes soon proved that the Air Ministry's arrangements for labour and equipment quickly to repair aerodrome surfaces were absolutely inadequate, and this has been made the subject of numerous signals and letters during the past four weeks."
...some of which must have survived somewhere for Overy to make that statement.
Those are not RAF allocations of guns. They are the guns allocated to the RA AA divisions and the missions they were tasked with. The divisions were all directed to cooperate with the FC Group in whise zone they were deployed. RAF allocations are a different matter.
That's my point; it's the RAF allocation on a per-airfield basis that controls the number of ground gunners at said airfields...
What we need to do is find defence schemes for particular airfields such at Lympne and count the number of RAF positions.
That's a bit obsessive ....
Not really obsessive - it's just the easiest way into the issue as I doubt there's ANY way we'll find anything on paper now that states the precise number of whatever type and calibre of guns were allocated in toto to RAF Lympne; you've been on the job long enough to read enough accounts of missing war diaires, and files at Kew with nice file numbers and subject titles...but when pulled from the shelf all that remains is an index of now-shredded contents :cry: But the defence diagram should at least list Army-manned pillboxes, seagull trenches, etc.,...and the RAF's ground defence positions.
....and given the small number of RAF gun allocations - until later as you note - unlikely to change things significantly in August-September 1940
On the contrary; there's enough indication that the establishment figure of eight MG or cannon positions was added to at many RAF airfields as extra items like the .300 American Lewis Guns arrived from the U.S. through the summer. Look at the example that Knouterer gave yesterday of an RAF field with eleven gun positions instead of eight; on paper that's 66 ground gunners in that airfield's "Anti-Aircraft Flight" as opposed to the 48-man figure for eight AA positions. It may look insignificant - but it's still a 32% manpower increase in that one airfield defence flight.

The only problem is - as I stated previously - that we don't know about RAF Lympne, so can only reliably work on the basis of the establishment figure.
Technically, Lympne wasn't "evacuated"; Manston after 24 August comes closest to that description.
Well - we DO have the statement by one witness that it was "evacuated"; the question is what that evacuation did consist of...which is a question I've raised several times recently. But -
Again, it could be, since exactly what was "evacuated" appears to have been the operational units and their operational support elements. The station C&M element may have remained - the language is imprecise and it would have been logical to maintain a caretaker presence even if a flying element wasn't there.
...some things to bear in mind;

1/ We know RAF Lympne was allocated a full Care&Maintenance unit in June...but that's a good deal larger than the establishment manpower figure for an ELG ;) So, once it's status was reviewed, or downgraded, or changed, or however you want to describe it after August 15th...its establishment manpower allocation should have gone down...

2/ We have evidence that various support elements were increasingly NOT available through August- two instead of an ideal three working on Allard's Hurricane, no driver being available by the end of AUgust to take downed fighter pilots to the officers' mess, etc...

3/ There's the whole issue of accomodation not being available, and personnel having to be billeted off the field...

4/ And not least - there's the aspect that "evacuation" in Fighter Command parlance also had a specific meaning as described previously; it's detailed in footnote no.45 in James on p.132, whatever that equates to in the AIR file.
That was counted as a problem at Manston and led to its "abandonment", but was not assessed as a problem at Lympne.
We don't atually know that; we don't (as yet?) have access to the Inspector-General's report on RAF Lympne of the 15th of August...or the 12th, come to that.
That's nice...except that is not the way its condition was recorded. Work of some sort likely was continued at Lympne, if not Manston, but it is all rather moot since nobody used it except as an ELG after 2 September.
It's how it was recorded in the ORB. Which does of course tend, as with any ORB, to be a very "subjective" document by its very nature.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”