LRDG Jeep Willys

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
von thoma

LRDG Jeep Willys

Post by von thoma » 12 Oct 2014, 22:33

It was a good measure ( technically efficient ), to break the grid of radiators in these Jeeps ?
Why did they not break all of them ? :D
Thanks for your inputs !
tEJhLAF.jpg
Photo:http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=16521.0
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Bill Murray

Re: LRDG Jeep Willys

Post by Bill Murray » 12 Oct 2014, 23:29

I am not trying to be funny here, but I believe it was necessary to leave two of the grids in place to prevent the entire radiator surround from collapsing. This is in the context that the Jeeps were subject to driving in heavy terrain and the shocks that they received could have resulted in the entire front of the surround falling apart.

Bill

pugsville

Post by pugsville » 13 Oct 2014, 09:12

I would shave thought these were SAS jeeps not LRDG which typically used trucks rather than jeeps?

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 15 Oct 2014, 15:23

Hi

I would agree with Bill's post, that there retention was from a purely structural POV

Regards

Andy H

ian Chard

Post by ian Chard » 25 Mar 2015, 16:10

A belated response to Pugsville.

The LRDG used jeeps - or bantams as they called them - increasingly during the latter stages of the desert war. Initially these were abandoned SAS vehicles found, repaired and reused by LRDG patrols, but towards the end of 1942 they seem to have formed part of the usual complement of a patrol. Whether or not this more establish use implies that the jeeps were formally issued to them, I'm not sure.

Hope this helps.

Ian

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 26 Mar 2015, 05:13

Yes, I would say the grill struts left are for support and the missing ones are to allow a little extra air into the radiator.

What I wondering about is the tank on the front end. It is IMO obviously extra water. But I also think it is a jury-rigged water and cooling reservoir connected directly to the radiator.
It kinda looks like the radiator is pushed to one side, perhaps to allow for extra piping/hoses.

Too bad we can't see the second jeep's front.

Note , there is a side-view picture of these two jeeps. I recognize the driver in the first jeep as the same driver as in this other picture. I believe his name and the unit are noted.

There may well be a large set of these two jeeps , as part of some PR film/article and if that, it may have a-lot even more info.

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 26 Mar 2015, 15:06

Here you have a scan of a drawing extrated from the book "La Jeep" written by Jaques Borgé and Nicolas Viasnoff (page 58)
The tank on the front end served for extra water. When the water was boiled it was send to the radiator.
Jeepone.jpg
And here below you will find a picture extrated from the same book (page 62)
Jeeptwo.jpg
The book was written in 1973 or 1974.
Kindly regards from Belgium and sorry for my poor english knowledge.
Prosper :wink:

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”