1 Air Landing LAA Battery RA weapons?

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Dili

1 Air Landing LAA Battery RA weapons?

Post by Dili » 25 Apr 2016, 04:16

This was an unit of 1st Airborne Division.

I have only found this blurb: In June 1942 283rd (COLY) AA Battery of 11th LAA Regt were re-roled and redesignated No.1 Air-Landing Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RA (The Rough Riders, COLY) and were placed under command of The Airborne Division. This title was changed to "1st Air Landing Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RA (The Rough Riders) in March 1943.

What kind of AA guns and how many it had? I don't believe it had Bofors since these were too heavy/big i think.

Gary Kennedy

Re: 1 Air Landing LAA Battery RA weapons?

Post by Gary Kennedy » 29 Apr 2016, 02:08

The Nov1942 establishment authorised the A/L Lt AA Bty 18x 40-mm guns (plus 3 with 1st Reinforcements) and 48x 20-mm guns (plus 6 with 1st Reinforcements). The Bty was organised with a HQ and three Tps, each with six Sub-sections. The WE doesn't actually show allocation of guns per Tp, but I'd go with one 40-mm per Sub-sec as the basic, and an alternative of sixteen 20-mm guns per Tp (allowing for say four with Tp HQ and two per Sub-sec). I think I have somewhere a Horsa load for a 40-mm gun.

1 Bty did send a small detachment to Normandy with 6 Abn Div HQ, with the Seaborne Tail I think.

Gary

Dili

Post by Dili » 29 Apr 2016, 02:58

Thanks. A very big battery with 18x40mm and 48x20mm

For the period i am looking for is more about at time of Husky(Sicily invasion July 1943). I suppose at this time the 20mm were Madsen or was it already Oerlikon? Polsten only appeared later i think.

There were 30(27 arrived) Horsa for Husky. All information i got was AT guns and Mountain artilley. But by no means a complete info about operation. Do you have anything?

Gary Kennedy

Post by Gary Kennedy » 29 Apr 2016, 16:05

The WE table doesn't specify types of weapon, just refers to 20-mm and 40-mm guns. This site on 6th Abn Div refers to 2 A/L LAA Bty receiving Hispano Suiza weapons initially, then moving onto the Polsten in early 1944.

http://www.gotoitgunners.co.uk/twoairlanding.html

I'm reasonably certain that the Bty would take either 40-mm or 20-mm guns (or a mix) as the situation permitted, but not all 66 pieces at once! Sub-secs consisted of an NCO and 11 gun numbers/drivers with just one Jeep; eight arty tractors were held by the Bty overall.

There was a Horsa loading table for the 40-mm Bofors so it could be airlifted. The Horsa could carry either two pilots, 4 gun numbers, a gun, light motorcycle and bicycle, or two pilots, 6 gun numbers and a gun + Jeep. I don't know what the Bty took on Husky I'm afraid. I had a look at the Pegasusarchive site and that doesn't have the war diary for them.

And I'll correct my 'deliberate' mistake above, it was of course 2 Air Landing LAA Bty that went to Normandy, not 1 Bty...

Gary

Dili

Post by Dili » 29 Apr 2016, 21:22

Ok. So do you think it is realistic that each sub sec will take 2x20mm or instead 1 40mm?

That would make 36 20mm or 18 40mm.

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 30 Apr 2016, 07:06

I have never heard of them airlanding a Bofors 40mm, it certainly wouldn't go in a Horsa and the Hamilcars were needed for more important loads. The Bofors if they joined the unit would have been in the "sea tail".
Alan

Gary Kennedy

Post by Gary Kennedy » 30 Apr 2016, 16:44

It's supposition on my part, but I'd certainly go with either one 40-mm or two 20-mm guns per Sub-sec. The Sub-sec was authorised 1 Serjeant, 1 driver-mechanic, 1 Jeep and 10 gun numbers, which was a similar strength to a standard 40-mm Sub-sec serving a single gun. If they switched to 20-mm weapons then the same strength could easily serve two guns. Tp HQ had two more Jeeps, giving the Bty 24 overall, and I just wonder if the idea was one Jeep could tow a pair of 20-mm guns, so Tp HQ had spare weapons? Also a correction, I said eight tractors in the Bty but the WE says 12 (four per Tp HQ), so not enough for each 40-mm gun.

I don't know whether the 40-mm was ever actually landed by Horsa, but I definitely have examples of how they could be loaded in documents I obtained from the Airborne Forces Museum a few years ago now. I'm not sure I got a full set as some of the page numbers are skipped, but they are titled 40M/M Gun Detachment on MkIII or MkIV platform. And if I'd have thought to turn a few more pages I'd have seen the 20-mm loading table, which does show a single Jeep towing two 20-mm Hispano MkII, the Horsa also carrying two pilots and four gun numbers.

2nd A/L LAA Bty did go on Market Garden, but was involved in defending 1st Abn Corps HQ (see above link). I don't know if they flew in or what weapons they took.

Gary

Dili

Post by Dili » 02 May 2016, 23:04

Thanks Gary.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”