The fall of Britain

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
CoffeeCake

The fall of Britain

Post by CoffeeCake » 23 May 2004, 19:33

If Operation Sealion actually went through, and the Nazis occupied it, were there any plans for it as a military jumping point? Were there any specific plans for Britain during an occupation and what did Hitler think of the English? Since English is a Germanic Language like German, could they be considered Nordic and Aryan?

cyberdaemon

Post by cyberdaemon » 24 May 2004, 04:12

i thin you know wery well taht germany never invaded england.
it just werent launched , due to other plans.not sure why.
but it never started - maybe cus nazis wanted to beat england trought el a mein ?

hauptmannn

Post by hauptmannn » 24 May 2004, 12:32

The reasons the Nazis could not invade it were very simple.

The Royal Navy of the British was much too strong and the Kriegsmarine was nowhere near ready to even start a war. The Kriegsmarine was tiny and there were few capable capital ships to deal with the British, Hence the U-boat programme. This is very similar to WW1 were the High Seas Fleet was not as large as the Royal Navy so it resorted to U-boats to strangle Britain of its imports and to slowly chip away at its naval strength. The same tactics were employed in WW2 but the U-boats were more concentrated on merchant shipping rather than navy ships.

Germany lost the Battle of Britain, a prerequisite for the invasion was air supremacy over England, or at least Southern England, this the Germans failed to achieve.

The Germans had near zero capabilities to efficiently transport her troops and to keep them supplied in England, they had few proper transports and would have to rely on civilian barges that were not appropriate for the tides and conditions of the English Channel.

Air supply is out of the question, the Luftwaffe did not have the capability to supply large numbers of troops for the invasion. And it is very difficult even if you had enough aircraft for such an operation.

I hope i didn't leave any reasons out :) If i did please add them in :D

Wasa

Post by Wasa » 24 May 2004, 18:58

The Germans might have though if Hitler hadn´t halted his panzers in Vlaanderen just before they encircled the entire BEF.
If the plans for Seelöwe had been put to work just after the destruction of the BEF the brits wouldn´t have had any heavy equipment at all because it was already lost in Vlaanderen..

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 24 May 2004, 20:33

Can we please keep this thread in line with the original question.

The issue regarding the What If's and feasibilty of the Seelowe Op have been debated many times over-This thread isn't to add to that list of such debates.

Andy H

Zygmunt

Post by Zygmunt » 25 May 2004, 13:31

CoffeeCake is asking about plans for Britain after invasion and occupation... well, I always believed that the objective of an invasion would not have been to acquire Britain as a strategic outpost, or as Lebensraum, but merely political - to end the war on the Western front, so that the German war machine could focus on fighting the Soviet Union. As such, I presume that after Britain had totally capitulated, troop numbers would be reduced to the minimum necessary to keep a Quisling/Vichy type regime in power. Knocking Britain out of the war would also allow reductions in Wehrmacht strength in Norway and France. I don't think Britain would have been needed for any military operations - Germany would have been happy to concentrate on the Eastern front.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, serious response over, now Gossip/Trivia time:
Legend has it that Hitler was an admirer of the building "Senate House" in London's Bloomsbury area, and had decided that in the event of occupation, this building was to become Nazi Party UK headquarters. I've never heard any definite proof of that, but have a look for yourself:
From http://www.dcs.bbk.ac.uk/about/senatehouse.html
I do know that George Orwell based his description of "The Ministry of Truth" on the building. It is now part of the University of London.

Zygmunt

KraniX

Post by KraniX » 31 May 2004, 08:08

General Brauchitsch (Army Commander in Chief) signed a directive on September 9th saying...

"the able-bodied male population between the ages of seventeen and forty-five [in Britain] will, unless the local situation calls for an exceptional ruiling, be interned and dispatched to the Continent."

Supposedly orders to this effect were sent by OKH to the 9th and 16th armies which were assembled for the invasion, but I can't be sure.

von Schliesian

Post by von Schliesian » 01 Jun 2004, 12:03

My information (from a two-part documentary, aired on British television two years ago), was that England would virtually be split in two. The south being run by the Military Governor of Britain (Feldmarschal von Braushitsch), and the north being run, (from Balmoral), by HRH The Duke of Windsor, whom Hitler planned to have restored to the thrown.

The intention was that the Royal family and government would have already have been evacuated to Canada. Hitlers' plan was then to take hostages, to be kept as a barganing tool on the continent (3 000 000 approx), to threaten the British people with in regards to resistance.

Then, a system of removals would be initiated by members of an SS branch, headed by a psyudo-Doctor, that would eliminate all British public figures, that in any way posed a threat to the German occupation. THe list still actually exists!

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 01 Jun 2004, 13:09

There were no concrete plans for what would happen if........if Britain could be successfully invaded and more importantly held after capitulation. In fact Sealion was was a non starter in the first place. There may have been flimsy preliminaries drawn up, but the fact remains that the there was no real intrest in an occupation of Britain. Hitler's plans just didn't account for it. The best he could hope for was that Britain would "voluntarily" withdraw from the war and thus leave Germany free to attack Russia, the reason for the war in the first place. Hitler considered the people of the British Isles as Aryan, or to be more specific, part of the Indo-European speaking peoples and wished for an alliance with Britain and a conclusion which would see Britain's Empire in the Far East and India conicide with Germany's new Empire in Eastern Europe. Beyond this dream, Hitler had no real "plan" for Britain at all.

In the end, an Invasion and occupation of Britain is absolutely unrealistic and this fact was not lost on the nazi party officials or its head echelon.

Tony

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 02 Jun 2004, 00:57

Wasa wrote:The Germans might have though if Hitler hadn´t halted his panzers in Vlaanderen just before they encircled the entire BEF.
If the plans for Seelöwe had been put to work just after the destruction of the BEF the brits wouldn´t have had any heavy equipment at all because it was already lost in Vlaanderen..
Had the Germans landed in Southern Britain, then they too would be without heavy equipment as it would be at the bottom of the English Channel.

Sealion / Seelowe was just a bluff.

redcoat

Post by redcoat » 03 Jun 2004, 13:38

Polynikes wrote: Had the Germans landed in Southern Britain, then they too would be without heavy equipment as it would be at the bottom of the English Channel.
No it wouldn't, because the Germans didn't plan to land any heavy equipment with the first wave (which by the way would have taken over ten days).
All that the Germans planned to land was 9 infantry divisions and a few tanks, its this which would have been at the bottom of the sea :lol:

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 03 Jun 2004, 13:48

KraniX wrote:General Brauchitsch (Army Commander in Chief) signed a directive on September 9th saying...

"the able-bodied male population between the ages of seventeen and forty-five [in Britain] will, unless the local situation calls for an exceptional ruiling, be interned and dispatched to the Continent."

Supposedly orders to this effect were sent by OKH to the 9th and 16th armies which were assembled for the invasion, but I can't be sure.
Great news if you're a 16 year old Brit then.....

Think of the female demand!!!!

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 03 Jun 2004, 13:51

redcoat

No it wouldn't, because the Germans didn't plan to land any heavy equipment with the first wave (which by the way would have taken over ten days).
All that the Germans planned to land was 9 infantry divisions and a few tanks, its this which would have been at the bottom of the sea.

I read that the plan called for the embarkation of horse drawn artillery.

9 infantry divisions would require a lot of transport, logistics, artillery, engineering and signals units - none of which is man-portable a lot of which was horse drawn. A lot of which was supposed to get across the Channel in flat bottomed river barges.

Enkpitt

Re: The fall of Britain

Post by Enkpitt » 07 Jun 2004, 04:41

CoffeeCake wrote:what did Hitler think of the English? Since English is a Germanic Language like German, could they be considered Nordic and Aryan?
If Hitler new history he would know that germanic tribes occupied the islands some time ago. So I would think he regarded them as Aryans.

kordts

Post by kordts » 14 Jun 2004, 03:37

SS/GB by Len Deighton is one of the first, and possibly the best alt/history novel on this subject. Hitler Victorious is a bunch of "what if" short stories, from the mid 80's several of them focusing on England. I highly reccomend both, for some answers to your question.

Cheers, Jeff.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”