questions about the Churchill AVRE

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
tom!

questions about the Churchill AVRE

Post by tom! » 24 Oct 2004, 18:42

Hi.

I have some questions about this tank:

1. What ammo was used?

2. How was it reloaded ?

3. Where there different versions (bridgelayer, chargelayer etc.) or was there only one version with different mounted features?

4. Was it only used in Europe or also in Africa and/or Asia?

5. Whas it only used by armoured engineers?

6. How was a unit with AVRE´s organized?

Yours

tom! :wink:

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 24 Oct 2004, 20:20

I'm no expert but......

1. It fired a 40lb shell some 80yds from its Spigot mortar, called a Petard.

2. Loaded from the outside using the front MG's hatch

3. There were variants of the AVRE, but these were Mat Laying vehicles. The Bridgelayers etc were other variants of the Churchill design

4. It's production and deployment came to late for the North African campaign. As far as I know it was only used in NW Europe.

5. I presume so

6. ?

Source:The British Soldier Vol 2 by Jean Bouchery
Source:British & American Tanks of WW2 by Chamberlain & Ellis

There is a book about the 79th Armoured Division called Hobarts Funnies I believe which will answer many questions, plus many other posters who will jump in no doubt

Andy H

LegalAssassin

Re: questions about the Churchill AVRE

Post by LegalAssassin » 24 Oct 2004, 20:28

1. What ammo was used?

290 mm spigot mortar ammo, don't know the exact name. It's the spigot system that makes it into a mortar - A small charge sends it away, just as on a mortar or a PIAT round.

2. How was it reloaded ?

As far as I know, from the outside. That is the major drawback of the spigot system.

3. Where there different versions (bridgelayer, chargelayer etc.) or was there only one version with different mounted features?

The AVRE was a modified Churchill tank which had it's main gun replaced with a 290 mm spigot mortar.
It could, if needed, carry extra equipment, such as bridges, bulldozer "shovels", mine ploughs, mine rollers, charge placers, carpet layer... just as all Churchills could. It was in no way limited to the AVRE only.

4. Was it only used in Europe or also in Africa and/or Asia?

No idea, see the next question for clue.

5. Whas it only used by armoured engineers?

6. How was a unit with AVRE´s organized?

I'll try to answer both questions in this way:

It was, in fact, just one division that had access to it, the 79th Armoured Division. All the funnies active in other units were "on loan".

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”