114 mm (4.5 in) AA Mk.II

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Robert Hurst

114 mm (4.5 in) AA Mk.II

Post by Robert Hurst » 23 Feb 2005, 14:18

Hi

I would be most grateful if anyone can help me with the following query. In a publication that I read recently it stated that some of these guns fell into German hands and that they were used as the 11.4 cm Flak (e).

What I would like to know is when and where they were captured by the Germans, and in what numbers. The reason why I would like to find out about this is because most sources state that this weapon was used for the protection of dockyards and naval installations in the UK, manpower coming from the Army.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Bob.
Attachments
untitled1.jpg
Shown here is the 114 mm (4.5 in) AA, Mark 11 installed on its land-based mounting, the Mark I. Although a static gun a special transporter allowed a measure of mobility.
untitled1.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 797 times

David W

Post by David W » 23 Feb 2005, 17:47

I'm wondering if they might have got some from Tobruk. There were at least 4 heavy batteries there at the time of it's capture. What I don't know is, if they had 3.7" or 4.5" guns.
Another possibility is Mersa Matruh, but I have even less info on the Heavy AA guns there.

Not a lot to go on I'm afraid.

Dave.

The Argus

Post by The Argus » 24 Feb 2005, 20:55

I thought the Heavies in NA were all 3.7"s?

My guess is Crete. The RNMNB (RN Mobile Naval Base) had a defense comnponent to provide security including AAA. The 4.5" was a RN weapons, it would have been defending a 'naval base' and it's semi-fixed so perfect for them. IIRC they left most of their heavy kit behind on Crete, the RM security detachment (about battalion strength) ended up out in the far east, either garrisioning islands in the INdian ocean or being used as reinforcement for Burma. But the naval side of things ened up working the Egyption ports (mainly Alex IIRC).

Interesting side note, of the RM's who ended up in Burma, few made it out, but one turned up walking in the gate of Plymouth Barracks two years later. When the unit had broken up around Mitkynia, the last orders given by the OC were "We're Plymouth marines, so we'll remuster on the barraks square!" No one of course expecting to reach India let alone Plymouth. Still those were the last orders this man had recieved, so he carried them out, he'd even managed make himself a set of RM blues to muster in.... scary.

shane

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”