234 mm (9.2 in) Mk.XIII Railway Gun

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Robert Hurst

234 mm (9.2 in) Mk.XIII Railway Gun

Post by Robert Hurst » 04 Mar 2005, 15:34

Hi

In early 1940 two 234 mm (9.2 in) Mk.XIII Railway Guns were sent to France to back-up the BEF, but there was no ammunition to send with them. The outcome of this sorry affair was that both guns were unable to contribute anything to the conflict, and were captured near Dunkirk durng May 1940.

What I would like to know is what did the Germans do with these guns. I look forward to hearing from anyone who can give me any answers to the above question. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Bob
Attachments
untitled.jpg
Shown here is 234 mm (9.2 in) Mk.XIII Railway Gun firing during a practice shoot at the School of Railway Artillery at Catterick.
untitled.jpg (97.65 KiB) Viewed 1111 times

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 05 Mar 2005, 04:12

Hmm, "Anzio Annie"? Or were those indigenous products?

BIGpanzer

Post by BIGpanzer » 06 Mar 2005, 00:56

May be you will find something here - http://www.southernrailwayuk.com/railguns.html

The Argus

Post by The Argus » 06 Mar 2005, 17:30

Well if there was no ammo available, it was somebodys screw up not a lack of availabe munitions., 9.2 was the standard Cw heavy coastal gun, there were thousands of rounds of it in store. As far as I can tell the Mk.XIII is just a Mk.X with modified trunions (although I could be very wrong - I'd be glad to be wrong in fact), as such finding ammo to suit would have been easy and so my guess is there were transport problems.

What did the Germans do with them? Well I don't know, but given there were only two and presumably on two barrles, scraping the guns and reusung the mountings for say captured French 240mm guns of whch they deployed a fair number would be the most sensiable thing to do. making up a batch of ammo to suit owld have been a compleate waste of time and effort.

shane

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”