4th South African Armoured Car Regiment.

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
David W

4th South African Armoured Car Regiment.

Post by David W » 01 Nov 2005, 11:24

Can anyone tell me about the composition of the 4th S.A. Armoured Car Reg, during the period of Jun 1941 - Nov 1942?

Please. :D

gjkennedy

Post by gjkennedy » 01 Nov 2005, 15:23

If you can get hold of a copy of Joslen's WW2 order of battle book it would help answer a fair few of your North Africa queries I'd say. Naval & Military Press here in the UK do a reprint version, I got mine a few years ago and it's seen extensive action ever since!

Gary

David W

Post by David W » 01 Nov 2005, 23:17

Might try that Gary. I've never had any luck finding a copy up until now.

What is Mark Bevis' "British & Commonwealth Armies 1939-45" like?
Any good?
As good as Joslen?
I ask because I can get hold of one.

JonS

Post by JonS » 02 Nov 2005, 02:42

David W wrote:What is Mark Bevis' "British & Commonwealth Armies 1939-45" like?
Any good?
Depends what you want it for, but I suspect you'd just get frustrated with it. I've found "BRITISH AND COMMONWEALTH ARMIES 1944-45" to be riddled with errors, both major and minor. OTOH, I imagine it'd be a great, general-purpose resource for minatures wargaming, and the intro pretty much makes clear is the intended audience anyway.

For what you seem to be doing, I couldn't reccomend it.

Jon

Martin_Schenkel

Post by Martin_Schenkel » 02 Nov 2005, 03:58

David,

Nov 41 (Operation Crusader): with 7th Armd Bde Grp (7th Armd Div): approx. 50 Marmon-Herrington armoured cars
Dec 41: Serving under 8th Army: unspecified number of Marmon-Herringtons
Mar 42 (Battle of Gazala): Attached to 7th Armd Div: unpecified number of Marmon-Herrington IIIs
Jun 42 (Mersah Matruh): with 7th Motor Bde Grp: unspecified number of Marmon-Herrington IIIs
Oct 42 (El Alamein): 4th/6th SA Armd Car Regt: three Squadrons with 'Hammerforce' (1st Armd Div) with 30 Marmon-Herrington IIIs, 3 Troops under XXX Corps with 9 Marmon-Herrington IIIs, and one Troop under XII Corps with 3 Marmon-Herrington IIIs.

All that I can dig up. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Martin

Martin_Schenkel

Post by Martin_Schenkel » 02 Nov 2005, 04:08

gjkennedy wrote:If you can get hold of a copy of Joslen's WW2 order of battle book it would help answer a fair few of your North Africa queries I'd say. Naval & Military Press here in the UK do a reprint version, I got mine a few years ago and it's seen extensive action ever since!
Joslen dosen't cover any of the Dominion armies, only British and Colonial, although it still will answer many of David's questions, as it is one of the sources I use to answer many of his queries! :D As a good starting point for Dominion armies, I suggest 'The British Armies in WW2: An Organisational History' (Hughes, et al), available through Nafziger: http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/ . It covers the whole Commonwealth including Britain and Colonials, and I also use it to answer many of David's questions, as I did above for 4th SA Armd Car Regt.

Regards,

Martin

David W

Post by David W » 02 Nov 2005, 10:17

Jon.
Thanks for the Anti-Reccommendation! That will have saved me a few quid!

Martin. Thanks for the info on 4th S.A.

Martin. Thanks for the Reccommendation. Along with Gary's suggestion, I think that I have found 2 of my Christmas presents!

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”