A territory turnover question

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
cndonnan

A territory turnover question

Post by cndonnan » 02 Sep 2013, 17:09

A question for the WW2 master historians:

Were there any German cities or villages that were captured by the Russians and then turned over to the American/British/French forces near the end of the war?

I've found some examples of American troops relinquishing control of a few German cities to the Soviets, but not the other way around. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Helmut0815

Re: A territory turnover question

Post by Helmut0815 » 02 Sep 2013, 18:35

The only town in question that I know is Berlin. The soviets did not cross the Elbe river, so they never reached the american or british occupation zone. In Austria the case may be different.

regards

Helmut

cndonnan

Re: A territory turnover question

Post by cndonnan » 07 Oct 2013, 20:28

Thanks Helmut.

I have a question about the Battle of Blautzen (21-30 April, '45) that relates to the earlier question.

Would it be accurate to say that the civilian population was briefly under the control of the Soviet 52nd Army, Soviet 5th Guards and Polish 2nd Army until the 4th German Panzer Army re-captured the town?

If this is accurate, how were the civilians treated during this time? Was the "occupation" not long enough for the Civilians to notice the change of hands?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”