What happened to the Heer after the war?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
WEISWEILER

Re: What happened to the Heer after the war?

Post by WEISWEILER » 12 Jan 2014, 12:39

There's also the question of the veterans.

Several Belgian and Dutch Waffen-SS veterans served in the Korean War, or joined the French Légion Etrangère.

jeger

Post by jeger » 14 Jan 2014, 21:16

When I wrote of german rifles and helmets use by the "mobilization army" long after 1945,it was in contrast to the Norwegian Brigade Group (Tysklandsbrigaden)in Germany 1947-53 as part of the BAOR which first used British equipment incl rifles and helmets, later US equipment.But then again, as late as 1956,the first Norwegian UN Peacekeepers in Suez as part of UNEF,left Norway issued with ex-german helmets,MP-38/40 Schmeisser ,Luger pistol 9 mm but US Rifles.The blue helmets (US type) came later
Jeger

Natter

Post by Natter » 14 Jan 2014, 22:22

jeger wrote:the first Norwegian UN Peacekeepers in Suez as part of UNEF,left Norway issued with ex-german helmets,MP-38/40 Schmeisser ,Luger pistol 9 mm but US Rifles.The blue helmets (US type) came later
That was random I think? I know there were units using german helmets in UNEF, but my father was part of the very first platoon, and they had US-helmets for sure.

WEISWEILER

Post by WEISWEILER » 14 Jan 2014, 23:32

Thanks for this rich Scandinavian input, guys. Quiet interesting.

I wonder also about German wehrmacht vets. I suppose Bundeswehr wasn't totally scratch built, and former war veterans formed the core of officers? Same in Luftwaffe and navy?

victor82

Post by victor82 » 15 Jan 2014, 02:50

I'm given to understand that the Syrian Army had some Mk V "Panthers" up until 1967. Probably by way of the French.

The French Foreign Legion was basically the SS Leibstandarte Division Veterans Association up through Dien Bien Phu.

As to the Bundeswehr? Field Marshal von Manstein basically supervised its reconstruction from behind the scenes. He was let out of prison early by the Allies for precisely that purpose.

Helmut0815

Post by Helmut0815 » 15 Jan 2014, 08:32

WEISWEILER wrote:I wonder also about German wehrmacht vets. I suppose Bundeswehr wasn't totally scratch built, and former war veterans formed the core of officers? Same in Luftwaffe and navy?
See http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... &p=1274012

regards

Helmut

jeger

Post by jeger » 15 Jan 2014, 21:09

Sorry Natter, the official picture taken of Norwegian UN troops after arrival i Suez show German helmets,also picture taken i Norway prior to departure shown Norwegian Inf with ex-German helmets. Like I said, Blue Helmets ( US Type) came soon after, but remember the first Norwegian contingent to Suez late fall -56 was made up of ordinary soldiers doing their national service and were asked to vol.for the trip and they left with their Norwegian equipment, ex-German helmets,Schmeissers,Lugers/Walthers etc
For reference: Forsvarsmuseets FN-samling/Foto avdelingen (Armed Forces Museum)/UN-Section,Akershus,Oslo Mil, 0015 Oslo
Jeger

Natter

Post by Natter » 15 Jan 2014, 23:32

jeger wrote:Sorry Natter, the official picture taken of Norwegian UN troops after arrival i Suez show German helmets,also picture taken i Norway prior to departure shown Norwegian Inf with ex-German helmets. Like I said, Blue Helmets ( US Type) came soon after, but remember the first Norwegian contingent to Suez late fall -56 was made up of ordinary soldiers doing their national service and were asked to vol.for the trip and they left with their Norwegian equipment, ex-German helmets,Schmeissers,Lugers/Walthers etc
For reference: Forsvarsmuseets FN-samling/Foto avdelingen (Armed Forces Museum)/UN-Section,Akershus,Oslo Mil, 0015 Oslo
Jeger
Thank you for the reference, and no problem: I'm not disputing the facts :-)

As weapons go, my father used a schmeisser and a US Colt 45, and most used german helmets for sure. Problem is, that I remember discussing this topic spesifically with my him, and he was very distinct on the point that he had a US helmet (probably not blue initially). That's all I know.

He also kept a diary from the "trip", and later wrote the story of his experience - from the very hectic times when they were asked to volunteer (half of his battalion said yes), and all through the near 7 month service in Gaza. He makes a point of the fact that they were rushed to the depot and got all new equipment before leaving (it took less than 48 hours from the initial briefing when they were asked, until they were loaded up in US transportplanes at Gardermoen). Could someone have been issued US-helmets then? Sounds unlikely, but who knows.

My mother has the photoalbums and the diary (she lives way up north, so it's not accessible until my next visit). I only have a couple of photos - those included in his written story (dated 1957, so probably not valid as "evidence" in this regard: They show US helmets with "US" letters, so obviously taken after reissue of helmets for the contingent anyway).

I don't think the fact that he was a seargent is relevant, as I have seen photos of officers using the german helmets (they all used textile covers under fishnets as far as I know, and from what I was told this was partly to somewhat disguise the typical silouette of the german helmets. I don't know if the colour of the clothing was blue though?).

WEISWEILER

Post by WEISWEILER » 16 Jan 2014, 02:12

Helmut0815 wrote:
WEISWEILER wrote:I wonder also about German wehrmacht vets. I suppose Bundeswehr wasn't totally scratch built, and former war veterans formed the core of officers? Same in Luftwaffe and navy?
See http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... &p=1274012

regards

Helmut

Most interesting. Thanks, Helmut.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”