Research help: Where could POW's have served?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Eaglefield

Research help: Where could POW's have served?

Post by Eaglefield » 17 Apr 2014, 14:34

Hello,

I'm a screenwriter working on a short film about three German POW's attempted escape through the Siberian snow desert in 1945 after the fall of the Third Reich. I would be very grateful if anyone here could have a suggestion as to where these soldiers could have served, that fits with the demands of the story. To be more specific:

1. One of the soldiers should have served in a wehrmacht-unit that tried to surrender to the US-forces, but which was afterwards handed over to the Russians. As far as I could find out myself this could have taken place in for instance Saxony or Bohemia. Which division/regiment/unit could he plausibly have belonged to?

2. One of the other soldiers has served in the SS-Totenkopfverbände but lies about it, claiming instead to be from the wehrmacht too. Which divison/regiment/unit could he claim to have served at, which was also taken captive by the Russians during Spring of 1945 plausibly placing him in the same train wagon as #1?

I apologize in advance for my ignorance when it comes to the organization and hierarchy of the German forces and hope you will bear over with me. It's quite a jungle :-)

Best regards,
Christoffer

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”