German POW Engineers in the 6th Port Marseille

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
ElleHoff

German POW Engineers in the 6th Port Marseille

Post by ElleHoff » 22 Nov 2014, 18:44

Hello. I am looking for information on a Christmas card that was given to my grandfather, a major in the Army Corps of engineers in Marseille in 1945, from German POWs. I would like to find out what connection my grandfather had to the POWs. He was a Port Engineer - I am assuming the German POWs helped to rebuild the port after it was retaken by the Allies. But there is very little information available. I have included a picture of the Christmas card as an attachment. We have several other items - a portrait of my grandfather and a carved wooden frame - all with German names on them. I'd love to find out more about the men who made them and what happened to them.

Here is the text of the Christmas card:

Marseille, Christmas 1945

To: Major J.F. Hoffman

We, all of the German POWs in the 6th Port Engineers, want to wish you and all the American soldiers from this section a very Merry Christmas. It is our sincere hope that each one of you remain in excellent health throughout the New Year. May the early month of 1946 be the occasion for a real happy New Year celebrated by us all in our homes. In the interim, you may be assured of our cooperation.

Rickmann ?
Bn. Leader
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (154.69 KiB) Viewed 653 times

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”