Skorzeny in Argentina

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Sid Guttridge

Re: Skorzeny in Argentina

Post by Sid Guttridge » 09 Jan 2015, 20:54

Hi Dennis,

"Circumstantial information" and opinions based on it, are a little more substantial than "guesses".

I am sorry you learnt nothing from this thread.

However, others might have, regarding Galland and the Horten's post war careers, Yuki Goni's researches, Peron's early war travels in Axis Europe, etc., so I do not regard it as a useless exercise for AHF at all.

It has also been worth pointing out that some of the Argentine related stories about Skorzeny, (i.e. that he taught the Argentine military torture techniques, or that he saved Eva Peron from an assassination attempt) appear to have no evidential basis.

You may have known all this already, but others may not.

Cheers,

Sid.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 09 Jan 2015, 21:19

A post was removed following the previous warning. Stay on topic and avoid the personal commentary.

/Marcus

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 09 Jan 2015, 23:44

I am really trying to find something interesting in this thread but I decided to look for something myself.

2. SKORZENY arrived in Bolivia shortly following Germany's surrender and obtained
employment with the Bolivian Government as an aviation technician. He remained in that
position until shortly before January 1, 1950, when he left for Buenos Aires to accept a
position as aviation technician with the Argentine Government. At the present, SKORZENY is
employed at the Palomar Air Field located on the outskirts of Buenos Aires.

3. Source declared that SKORZENY is using an assumed name in . Argentina but that the
Argentina Government is aware of his true identity and. background. It is source's belief that,
the Argentine Government is not too interested in the background of individuals whom they
are now employing at the Palomar Field. Their primary interest in the technicians is whether
or not the employees can help Argentina.

4. Subject is residing in the suburb of Martinez, Buenos Aires. His exact address is not as yet
known nor is his pseudonym. Any further information developed will be furnished the Buenos
Aires station."

From OSS/ CIA records declassified under Nazi War Crimes Disclosure Act:

TAB-A-1270

TAB-A-1270

17 February 1950

To: Chief of Station (sanitized)

Nazi Activities

Colonel Otto SKORZENY

Ref: TOP-1 351 of 24 January 1 950.

1. On 14 and 15 February 1950, the local press carried stories concerning the alleged
presence in Paris (and later in Rome) of Otto SKORZENY. In December 1949, the
Communist paper La Hora of Buenos Aires claimed that SKORZENY was then residing in
the United States.

In Octob 1949, the local press reported him in Austria. In June 1949 he was reported en
route to Argentina. In addition, frequent rumors (never confirmed) have reached us of his
possible presence in Argentina.

2. TOP-1 35I of 24 January 1 950 states that Subject arrived in Bolivia shortly after the war
and obtained employment with the Bolivian Government as an aviation technician, a position
which he held until late in 1949 when he reportedly left for Buenos Aires to accept a similar
post with the Argentine Government. Your report placed Subject in the Buenos Aires suburb
of Martinez, and suggested that he may be using a pseudonym.

3. In view of the general confusion which exists concerning Subject's whereabouts, and the
high evaluation which on have given your report, this Station would greatly appreciate any
additional information you may be able to provide concerning his residence in Bolivia and his
transfer to this country. If it is an established fact that Subject in Bolivia until a little more than
a month age, we will then have something definite to go on.

4. Note for Headquarters: Since Subject reportedly was in the hands of the U.S. Military
authorities in 1947, it is presumed that a photograph would not be difficult to obtain, if
Headquarters could supply this station with a good full length photograph and physical
description of Subject it would aid us considerably in our investigation."

The different dates and versions of his escape, according to CIA, FBI and Military
Intelligence (1947-1948)

1. 25 July 1947:

From OSS /CIA records declassified under Nazi War Crimes Disclosure Act:

Acting Chief, Foreign Branch

Operational

Otto SKORZENY

Date: 8 October 1948

Ref. Fran-1216 (Out-13939), Wash-2765 (Out-69071)

"1. A report from Frankfurt, Germany, reveals that the subject escaped from Ludwigsberg
civilian internment enclosure on the night of July 25, 1947, while awaiting denazification.

2. It is further reported that no letter from SKORZENY has been intercepted by either the
Combined Intelligence Service {CIS) or the Counter Intelligence Corps (C/C). In any
case the CIS is the only agency authorized by the United States European Command to
censor German mail. This, of course, does not elniminate the possibility that the letter could
have been received in other German zones or European countries from SKORZENY; nor
does it eliminate the possibility that such a letter might have been intercepted by other Allied
intelligence services."

2. November 1947:

"7712 E.C.I.S., APO 72
U.S. Army, c/o Postmaster
New York, New York
2 February 1948

Dear M:

With regard to the questions you ask in your last letter I can give you the following
information for what it is worth.

The subject "escaped" from our interrogation center in Oberursel, a small town about ten
miles from Frankfort on the road to Darmstadt, about three months ago. I would
hardly use the term escape, for in reality he was aided and abetted in his desires in order to
find out where he wanted to hide out, and who the people were who were willing to
keep him. He is now once more with us, although no longer on this continent, and his
services are being put to some use. It must be remembered that in spite of all his playacting
and posing be still has a very excellent knowledge of intelligence and can be of definite use
to our people.

As to the local authorities wanting him, I believe it would be more accurate to say that the
Austrians rather than the Germans are interested in his whereabouts. He is, after all, an
Austrian, and the majority of his more infamous acts were committed against his own people.

There are undoebtedly several German official's who would like to have him, but this is
mainly from a mercenary point of view, for they would be paid quite handily if they could
succeed in turning him over to the gentlmen to the east. If anyone, other than ourselves, is
really interested in him, it is undoubtedly the assorted members of the Politburo. My own
personal opinion of the man is that we have already played him for what he is worth, but he
is too dangerous to let go. He is in a position at the present time, where he would have
to sell to the highest, or any bidder, and, being a professional soldier, I doubt whether he
would have any scruples as to which political side he sold his services.

Insofar as the document I have already sent you is concerned, I should like to repeat that I
sent it mainly for your magazine's benefit. If it is any use to you as a check against the

information you already have, I can assure you that the facts, even though they are
somewhat dramatised by the author, are for a very large part correct. I have since
talked to various other members of the expedition, and they concur with all the major points
in the story. Of course they themtelves live in the reflected glory, but one German or Austrian
if you wish, is not too prone to praise another (...)

Many thanks for what you have done in the matter. I'm afraid I can't be too specific about the

subject's activities at the present :time for obvious reasons, however

should the time come when we can give you all the facts without endangering security I shall

let you have a detailed account. You can form your own conclusions from what I

have already told you in this letter.. .(...)"

3. 25 July 1948

To: Director

Central Intelligence Agency
2210 E Street, N. W.
Washington, D. C.
Attention: Colonel Robert Schow

From: John Edgar Hoover - Director, Federal Bureau of Investigation
Date: 21 September 1949
Subject: Otto SKORZENY

Information concerning

This Bureau is in receipt of information concerning the captioned individual from a source of
unknown reliability. For your information this source resides in the United States and it is not
known if he is in a position to obtain information concerning the whereabouts
of SKORZENY. The information is to the effect that a man who answers the description of
this individual - even to a scar on his face - is said to be working in Spain with a group of
Nazis with the blessings of Franco. Their meetings are alleged to be on a ship that comes
into sport regularly on the west coast of Spain. Information available concerning SKORZENY
indicates he is the individual who reputedly effected Mussolini's abduction in 1943 from Allied
hands. He was reported to have given himself up, tried before a court and released.
He was than taken into custody by the Germane but escaped on July 25, 1948.
The information Contained herein is being furnished for whatever action you may deem
desirable, bearing in mind that this Bureau cannot in any way vouch for the source thereof.

SKORZENY seen in Spain (January-March 1949)

To: Chief (sanitized) Station

Subject: (sanitized) Report Otto SKORZENI (or SKORZENY)

Date: 14 June 1949
Eyes only OSO personnel

1 . Otto SKORZENI, reportedly a former S.S Colonel escaped from a U.S. prison in
Germany, has been seen in Barcelona and other cities in the south of Spain.

2. Sometime in March, 1949, according to a (sanitized) report from Madrid (24 April 1949) he
left Spain for South America (destination unknown) with documentation prepared by the
DGS.

3. Any information on his destination and the name under which he may be traveling will be
useful to Headquarters."

SKORZENY in Argentina. July 1949.

From CIA records declassified under Nazi War Crimes Disclosure Act:
Washington Post, 21 July 1949:

" Ex-Nazis Hired By Argentina, Says Government Foe

Buenos Aires. July 21 (AP). Opposition Congressman charged by inference today that more
than 30 newly arrived Germans, including a number of Nazi aviation experts, are in the
employ of the Argentine government. Silvano Sandtander, a member of the Radical Party,
introduced a resolution asking the government to explain the situation. He made his charge
in the form of a question and ponted out that Argentina still Is technically at war with
Germany. Santander mentioned three former German officers— SS Guards: Col. Otto
SKORZENY (...) and two high ranking members of the German Air Force: Gen. Adolf
GALLAND and Col. Hans Ulrich RUDEL."

Meeting of SKORZENY with Ante PAVELIC (October 1949)

"Subject: Activities of Ante PAVELIC in Argentina.
Report No: L.3-1936
Evaluation: B-3.

Source: Both have contacts in Slav circles.
Date of Information: Current.
Date acquired: 7-12 October 1949
Date of Report: 24 October 1 949

1 . Source A reports that Ante PAVELIC, at a recent meeting of approximately 40 former
Crest Government officials, revealed that he had been reliably informed that war in Europe
was imminent.

2. PAVELIC stated that it was therefore necessary to lay aside all petty differences and
prepare for active participation in the coming conflict. He added that all necessary means for
organization and participation would be available to them (Source A).

3. To the surprise of everyone present PAVELIC assured the group that has been in the
service of the United States and British Intelligence services for several years (Source A).

4. PAVELIC requested that the matters discussed at this meeting be kept confidential. A
person who attended the reunion advised Source A that PAVELIC appeared to be well
informed. Moreover, he is certain that the former head of the Croatian Independent State
frequently meets with Colonel Otto SKORZENY and General Adolf GALLAND

5. Source B confirms that the meeting took place, but adds that PAVELIC described a
pessimistic picture of the European situation (...)"

SKORZENY in France (February 1950)
ABC, 15 February 1950, p. 16

Paris 14 . Ha sido confirmada la estancia en Paris de Otto SKORZENY
La Policia ha declarado que Otto SKORZENY, autor del sensacional rescate de Mussolini,
en el Gran Sasso (Italia), ex coronel de las S. S. alemanas, ha huido a Roma, despues de
vivir en Paris durante una. semana con nombre supuesto. Residid en el barrio de San
German, desde-el 7 de febrero, y se habia identificado ante su patrona como Rudolf Stainer
(STEINER) , periodista austriaco. Las autoridades alemanas buscan a SKORZENY,
acusado de evasion de la carcel, para, serjuzgado porun Tribunal. desnazificador.
En el registro practicado en su habitacion se ha descubierto una serie de documentos y
notas sobre sus actividades de tiempo de guerra, como jefe de una unidad especial
alemana. Dijo a la patrona erne se iba a Roma, pero que volveria "en breve". La
identificacion ha sido facil para la Policia cuando mostro a la patrona un retrato de
SKORZENY.— Efe.

SKORZENY in Germany and contacts with the neo-nazi Deutsche Union (August 1950)

To: Chief, Foreign Division M

Date: 3 January 1951

(...)

1 . ZIPPER has had several reports lately indicating that SKORZENY was in Germany this
summer and that he may be now be in Spain.. According to their information, he is now
engaged in establishing ,an organisation for the evacuation of Germans in the event of a
Russian attack. According to one report, the number of Germans involved is as high as

2. SKORZENY's contacts to the Spanish military are reported to have been established by a
Countess FINCKENSTEIN. SKORZENY is reported to be working onthis project in
conjunction with certain American authorities, who are providing the necessary funds."

Incoming classified message
Central Intelligence Agency
Secret

To: Special Operations

(...)

11 August 1950

Dl HICOG request any info whereabouts and current activities Otto SKORZENY HICOG
source claims SKORZENY recently in contact Friedl GRIESMEYER, active Deutsche
Union "

SKORZENY living in Madrid under cover name Rolf STEINBAUER (September 1950)

"Information Report No 00-B-38806

(...)

Place acquired: Madrid

Date acquired by source: Sept to Dec 1950

Date of information: Sept to Dec 1950

Source: US citizen head of a (sanitized: US organization) who, since World War II has been
a consultant to various foreign governments on electronic landing and approach systems for
airfields. (...) *

* Edgar SMITH, source named in other documents

"He (SKORZENY) is living in Madrid at the present time with a German woman about 38 or
40 whose name is Use, Countess FINCKENSTEIN. Their address is calle Lopez de Hoyos
70. The Countess is a very attractive and highly intelligent woman. I believe that she had a
fairly high position in the German Intelligence during the last war. I understood that she spent
a considerable time in the UK just prior to the outbreak of hostilities in the interest of the
intelligence service.

SKORZENY is conducting a business in Madrid chiefly for the development of solar heat

for use in heating houses and hot water in Spain. I do not think this is a front, but

that he is really in earnest about the business. I believe he also has some agencies

for German firms. The only one I can remember is one for a manufacturer of pipe scaffolding

for use in building construction. He is not using his own name, but is going under the alias

shown on. his business card which is reproduced here.

Rolf STEINBAUER
Ingeniero Industrial

Alcala, 29
Telefono 317262
Madrid

I believe SKORZENY came to Spain about August 1950,. having moved there from Paris .

because of his fear of Communist reprisals. He claimed that five attempts had been

made on his life since the end of the war. He also told me that on infrequent trips

to Germany he could be reached at c/o Finckensteint, Hotel Zuflucht, Fremdenstadt/

Schwarzwald, French Zone. I understood that he came to Spain at the instance of a

high ranking Spanish general. I believe the Spanish Army is giving some sort of help

such as allowing him conmissary privileges and seeing that he has a proper place to live (...)"

Third Naval District

New York Naval Shipyard

Naval Base, Brooklyn 1, N.Y.

Secret

ND3/OP322H2B5
1 December 1950

From: District Intelligence Officer, Third Naval District

To: Director of Naval Intelligence (OP322H2B5)

Subjs Col. Otto SKORZENY, Former Aide to Heinrich Himmler

(...)

Subject is now living under the name of Rolf STEINBAUER Industrial Engineer, at Alcala 20,
Madrid, Spain. In the course of numerous conversations with the subject, who is best known
for his exploits as the leader of the elite Nazi paratroop group that rescued Mussolini, he
stated he is at present the underground leader of approximately 800,000 Germans, former
Army personnel, who are violently anti-Soviet, and whatever moneys subject is able to
acquire at this time is forwarded to Germany in an effort to consolidate this groups and it is;
the hope of subject to evacuate this group as a unit to Africa via Spain in the event of a
Russian military movement on the Continent.
(...)

Subject is being sponsored in Spain by General Fernandez Del Compo (misspelling for
FERNANDEZ DEL CAMPO), a very wealthy Spanish Duke. Subject is residing with
Countess Von Finkelstein, a Bavarian, whose estates have been sequestered by the
Soviets: The Countess has a sister residing in New York, Mrs. Gertrude Barnett, 41 Central
Park West. (...)"

SKORZENY and Banco Urquijo (December 1950)

"Air Pouch. Dispatch No WSMA-1354

Date: 19 December 1950

To: Chief, Foreign Division W

"This station has heard persistent rumors over the past three months to the effect that
subject was now living in Madrid. Source (sanitized) now reports that SKORZENY is
connected with the Banco Urquijo, apparently using the name of STEINBAUER. (sanitized)
has been invited by an Urquijo Bank contact to have lunch with STEINBAUER shortly, so
that more details should be forthcoming."

Contacts and Plans of SKORZENY in Spain and Germany (1951)

Information Report

Place acquired: Frankfurt, Germany
Date of Info: 8 September 1951
Date distr. 11 October 1951
This is unevaluated information
CIA only

Source: German rightist politician.

Note: The signifiance of this report lies not so much in the information contained herein but in
the fact that Otto SKORZENY and his aides readily revealed it to a group of German neo-
fascists visiting Spain in 1951.

1 . After SKORZENY left the U.S. internment camp in Darmstadt, he lived for a short while
with C. Ch. HEINZ, then a member of the ultra-rightist Hessish A/DP, at 11 Abeggstr.,
Wiesbaden. From Wiesbaden he went to France and for eight months he was billeted at a
safe house by (fnu) BERTEAUX*, then director of the Surete. When, after publication of the
famous SKORZENY articles in the French Press, BERTEAUX was relieved as Surete chief.
* Misspelling for Pierre BERTAUX.

Countess FINKENSTEIN, SKORZENY's one-time mistress and presently his alleged wife,
travelled to Madrid and quickly received a residence permit for SKORZENY after a short
conference with the Chief of the Spanish General Staff * (*Teniente General Juan VIGON).
Once in Madrid, SKORZENY was documented as a stateless engineer, one Rolf
STEINBAUER and assigned quarters at Lopez de Hoyos 72, Madrid, together with Countess
FINKENSTEIN. Since then SKORZENY has produced two plans for international military
action against possible Communist agression.

Plan A concerns primarily Western Germany but could be utilized elsewhere. It calls for the
activation of alert units among the people of every community in the country. Ostensibly, for
the purpose of commitment in case of emergency, such as floods, earthquakes, riots, floods,

etc., but the ultimate and hidden purpose is to prepare a militia against the day of Soviet
agression. The units are to be known as Katastrophenscutz (catastrophe protection).
According to SKORZENY the plan has been summitted to Dr. Robert LEHR, West German
Minister of the Interior and the latter agreed to support the enterprise. Hans WEISS, a
former Colonel in the German Air Force and one-time Inspector General of the German
bomber force (...) is scheduled to head the organization. WEISS was one of the Germans
who recently visited SKORZENY in Madrid. He returned to Germany with a complete plan for
activation of the militia units.

Plan B is SKORZENY's now well-known plan for activation of coramando type, consisting of
300 anti-Cormunistic men each, from 10 different countries in Europe. The units are to be
trained in Spain, financed and equipped by the U.S. and act as a cadre and officer material
for

guerrilla, partisan, stay-behind and similar units operatinr against the Soviet Army in case of
war (...). Plan B is said to have endorsment of the Italian Prince BORGHESE (...)"

Persons contacted by SKORZENY who could have endorsed the plans:
Teniente General Agustin MUNOZ GRANDES
Teniente General Juan VIGON

Ramon SERRANO SUNER, FRANCO'S brother-in-law

Nicolas FRANCO, FRANCO'S brother and special contact of SKORZENY.

Eduardo ROJAS ORDONEZ ,Conde de MONTARCO, Deputy to SERRANO SUNER when

he was Minister of Foreing Affairs.

Josef SCHOOF. Nazi Propaganda Chief in Spain.

Jean BAUVERD, notorious international neo-fascist.

as well as many members of the Spanish Army.

Generaloberst Heinz GUDERIAN

Generaloberst Johannes FRIESSNER, Chief of the New Veterans Organization, VDS
(Verband Deutsche Soldaten)

Gerd SPINDLER, well-to-do industrialist and supporter of various rightist activities.
Admiral Hellmuth HEYER.

Generalleutnant August KRAKAU, Chief of the Schutzbund, Bavaria.
SS-Gruppenfuehrer Gerret KORSEMANN (misspelled in this CIA doc. Karet KORSEMANN)
Ex-General Karl GUEMPEL, member of the Executive Board of the VDS
Ex-General Guenther PAPE

Ex-General Karl KOLLER, Bavarian Chief of the Svl/Vand VDS.

Ex-General Herman Bernhardt RAMKE, member of the Executive Board of VDS and Chief
of the Paratroop Veterans.

Ex-General Hans SPEIDEL, ADENAUER'S military advisor.

Documents relating SKORZENY's plan of a anticommunist stay-behind network:

Incoming Telegram

From Frankfurt (MCCLOY)

To Secretary of State

January 26, 1951

"In my talk with ADENAUER last night he said he had received information from source of
such reliability that ort could not be ignored. According to his informant, FRANCO was
utilizing SKORZENY, former Nazi intelligence chief, for purpose of organizing military units in
Spain. SKORZENY was said to be recruiting former Nazi officers and specialists among
German refugees. What was particularly disturbing to Chancellor was indication this project
which was intended primarily for purpose of creating a strong defense on line of Pyrenees

had some support and encouragement from US. ADENAUER said that of course if such
information was confirmed and became known, it would have most serious effects upon
opinion, not only in Germany, but elsewhere in Western Europe, as obviously it would result
in creation. of revived Nazi force. I said that I had heard nothing of the scheme and.
thought most unlikely that it had any US backing. I promised, however, to make inquiry and
let him know. I should be grateful for any information which could throw light on this
report. MCCLOY

(Unfinished file for extreme and acute boring syndrome suffered by author)

Unfinished file for extreme and acute boring syndrome suffered by author
this also applies to me lolol......hope this contribution helps pump up this thread a little.?

corsair5517

Post by corsair5517 » 09 Jan 2015, 23:51

For crying out loud, you blokes: did someone pinch your bag of lollies?!

You seem to be arguing in a manner that can never be resolved and have turned what could have been a rather interesting topic into one to avoid....

The pertinent question would seem to be. "Did Skorzeny have any official title/duty/standing in the Argentine military and how/where is this recorded?"

If so, what was it?
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 10 Jan 2015, 00:01

If you read the above military records above you would see

Ref: TOP-1 351 of 24 January 1 950.

1. On 14 and 15 February 1950, the local press carried stories concerning the alleged
presence in Paris (and later in Rome) of Otto SKORZENY. In December 1949, the
Communist paper La Hora of Buenos Aires claimed that SKORZENY was then residing in
the United States.

In Octob 1949, the local press reported him in Austria. In June 1949 he was reported en
route to Argentina. In addition, frequent rumors (never confirmed) have reached us of his
possible presence in Argentina.

2. TOP-1 35I of 24 January 1 950 states that Subject arrived in Bolivia shortly after the war
and obtained employment with the Bolivian Government as an aviation technician, a position
which he held until late in 1949 when he reportedly left for Buenos Aires to accept a similar
post with the Argentine Government. Your report placed Subject in the Buenos Aires suburb
of Martinez, and suggested that he may be using a pseudonym.

3. In view of the general confusion which exists concerning Subject's whereabouts, and the
high evaluation which on have given your report, this Station would greatly appreciate any
additional information you may be able to provide concerning his residence in Bolivia and his
transfer to this country. If it is an established fact that Subject in Bolivia until a little more than
a month age, we will then have something definite to go on.

4. Note for Headquarters: Since Subject reportedly was in the hands of the U.S. Military
authorities in 1947, it is presumed that a photograph would not be difficult to obtain, if
Headquarters could supply this station with a good full length photograph and physical
description of Subject it would aid us considerably in our investigation."

The different dates and versions of his escape, according to CIA, FBI and Military
Intelligence (1947-1948)

dshaday

Post by dshaday » 10 Jan 2015, 14:28

Hi
corsair5517 wrote:For crying out loud, you blokes: did someone pinch your bag of lollies?!

You seem to be arguing in a manner that can never be resolved and have turned what could have been a rather interesting topic into one to avoid....
Point taken. Sorry for getting so side tracked.

Regards

Dennis

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 10 Jan 2015, 14:31

Hi Annelie,

Fascinating stuff. It doesn't tell us any more about Skorzeny's stay in Argentina, but it does show very effectively how much confusion there was (and is) about his whereabouts and activities at this time.

The proposition that he may have been employed as an aviation technician in Bolivia and Argentina seems unlikely, as he wasn't qualified for it. It seems probable that there is some confusion with the couple of dozen German areoengineers who were employed by the Argentines.

Thanks,

Sid.

stellung

Post by stellung » 11 Jan 2015, 02:57

There is no evidence that Skorzeny went to Argentina but was well aware of the activities going on there. He did live in Spain and was considered an important asset that did provide certain bits of information to those allied against the Soviet Union based on the belief that a takeover of Western Europe was entirely possible. All the Russians had to do was to move sufficient men and equipment west. Der Spiegel revealed part of the story.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 69015.html

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 11 Jan 2015, 12:32

Hi Stellung,

A very interesting link.

It deserves a thread of its own.

Cheers,

Sid.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 11 Jan 2015, 13:10

We have an older thread on that topic: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 7&t=207828

/Marcus

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 11 Jan 2015, 14:09

Hi Marcus,

Thanks. I will take a dip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Stellung,

I have found the following: http://www.passport-collector.com/skorzenys-passports/

If these are genuine, it appears that Skorzeny was cleared to go to Argentina from Spain "on urgent business" in 1954. It is not clear if he went.

Cheers,

Sid.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 11 Jan 2015, 14:15

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 11 Jan 2015, 14:51

Hi Marcus,

The following might explain Skorzeny's application to visit Argentina in October 1954:

http://www.foia.cia.gov/sites/default/f ... 2_0102.pdf

He appears to have taken part in talks between the Krupp company and Peron in November 1954.

The following contains a photo of the two and a Krupp representative together on this occasion:

http://magazin.spiegel.de/EpubDelivery/ ... f/28957851

the same photo in better definition:

https://www.facebook.com/elexpositor201 ... 414189571/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is not clear from the above is whether Skorzeny had personally met Peron before. The most precise estimate I have found for an earlier arrival of Skorzeny in Argentina is January or February 1949, at the latest, but no source is given. Unfortunately the earlier passport link does not have any Skorzeny travel document covering this period.

Cheers,

Sid

dshaday

Post by dshaday » 12 Jan 2015, 10:28

Hi
Marcus Wendel wrote:Quoting the relevant part from http://www.passport-collector.com/skorzenys-passports/
passports.png
More of Skorzeny's documents can be seen here:

http://auctions.alexautographs.com/asp/ ... 2&mypage=1

Regards

Dennis

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 12 Jan 2015, 13:43

Hi Dennis,

That is useful, as it puts Skorzeny in Europe in early 1950.

If Skorzeny was in Argentina before October 1954, it would most likely appear to have been in the period between early 1949 and early 1950.

Other visits between 1950 and 1954 are still theoretically possible, perhaps on different travel documents, but he was heavily engaged in the Middle East for much of that time, so they would have to be fleeting.

If it can be established Skorzeny was elsewhere over 1949-1950, this would call into question his widely reported sojourn in Argentina in the former year.

We definitely do need a new biography of Skorzeny.

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”