Sweden and Aland, April 1940

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Seppo Jyrkinen

Sweden and Aland, April 1940

Post by Seppo Jyrkinen » 20 Apr 2014, 18:07

When Germany was occupying Norway, Sweden made a decision to Finnish government that Sweden would take part with Aland's defence if Finland wanted such. Sweden was in a hurry and Foreign Minister Günther took contact to Erkko already 25.4.1940 and made a proposal that soldiers should take contact to each other preferably "already today". He also propounded that also Berlin and Moscow should be informed. Günther had the information for them in such a form that it made impression that Finland had been active in this matter.

Why Sweden was in a hurry to send soldiers to Aland at the moment when Wehrmacht was occupying Norway? You could think that Sweden's own border had been important and not to sent troops away!

Swedish army in Aland, two viewpoints:
1) Germany. After Molotov-Ribbentrop pact Finland (and Aland) belonged to Soviet Union. So Germany was not a threat to Aland and even if it had, Sweden was out of muscles to resist Wehrmacht.
2) Soviet Union. Swedish government had a very strong opinion that Soviet Union would launch an operation against Finland very soon hit Finland down. Sweden wanted to get Aland.
3) . . .
A word irony is baked into the word history.

John T

Re: Sweden and Aland, April 1940

Post by John T » 10 May 2014, 10:56

Seppo Jyrkinen wrote:When Germany was occupying Norway, Sweden made a decision to Finnish government that Sweden would take part with Aland's defence if Finland wanted such. Sweden was in a hurry and Foreign Minister Günther took contact to Erkko already 25.4.1940 and made a proposal that soldiers should take contact to each other preferably "already today". He also propounded that also Berlin and Moscow should be informed. Günther had the information for them in such a form that it made impression that Finland had been active in this matter.

Sweden percieved a real threat of German invasion of Åland during these days and there is a post on this forum on Finnish bomber squadron who opened their war diary for these days.
( the war diary where found in the digitized archives)

From Swedish perspective the defense o Åland should be seen in the context of the German attack on Norway.
In case of a division of Scandinavia beteween Germany and USSR ("a Polish solution") it didn't matter much if Germany or USSR would attack Åland so the long term idea of a Swedish-Finnish defence union made some sense.
Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: Why Sweden was in a hurry to send soldiers to Aland at the moment when Wehrmacht was occupying Norway? You could think that Sweden's own border had been important and not to sent troops away!
A few battalions and some coastal artillery would hardly affect the Swedish defense in general.
An attacker with airfields and naval bases at Åland archipelago would be a significant handicap for Swedish defence.
Seppo Jyrkinen wrote:
Swedish army in Aland, two viewpoints:
1) Germany. After Molotov-Ribbentrop pact Finland (and Aland) belonged to Soviet Union.
Yes, today we know that and FInland might consider it a good idea to ally herself with Sweden.
Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: So Germany was not a threat to Aland and even if it had, .
And you expect Swedish and Finnish leaders to know that the German Soviet war would start in Juni 1941 ?
Today we have the knowledge, but Günther, nor anyone else, did know that in April 1940.

rewriting borders in Europe where a practice both Hitler and Stalin where quite good at in 1940.
Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: Sweden was out of muscles to resist Wehrmacht.
Compare German Navy 25:th April 1940 with Swedish Navy and the Germans would have a had time to defend their sea line to Norway and invade Åland at the same time.

And Sweden had twice the population of Finland and up to 1939 had similar defence spending per capita.
So Swedish defence against Germany where probably a bit weaker compared to the correlation of forces between Finalnd and USSR. But Germany had to fight the Allies at the sime time while USSR could handle Finland at own discretion during the winter war.

Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: 2) Soviet Union. Swedish government had a very strong opinion that Soviet Union would launch an operation against Finland very soon hit Finland down. Sweden wanted to get Aland.
It is alway hard to find evidence for motives -
Do you have any first hand sources of this ?
I would dismiss it as a typical conspiracy theory without substance.

Cheers
/John
Last edited by John T on 10 May 2014, 13:38, edited 2 times in total.

John T

Post by John T » 10 May 2014, 12:43

Possibly this can be merged with topic
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1573526

Where the references to Blendheim sqn etcetera

Cheers
/John

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 10 May 2014, 16:54

John T wrote:Possibly this can be merged with topic
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1573526
I'm not sure about the benefits of mixing that thread to this one.

Regards, Juha

Seppo Jyrkinen

Post by Seppo Jyrkinen » 01 Jun 2014, 18:58

When Germany launched an operation against Norway, Swedish government realized very soon who would be the Boss in Northern Europa and allowed Germany to transport reinforcements through Sweden to it's troops in Norway. - Btw, does somebody know if Sweden reinforced it's troops on Norwegian border when occupation was going on? Or in Gotland which was much more vulnerable than Aland?

If Germany had made an aggression against Sweden, Aland hadn't had any significant role on that. This comes clear if you take a look at a map. I also believe that Swedish Air Force's all 50 Gloster Gladiators had soon run out of gasoline when Sweden's connections to west were cut off and Russia was Hitler's ally. Sweden's occupation had been a piece of cake to Germany.

Sweden's interest to Aland has been known in Berlin and Moscow too. During Winter War Günther had suggested Russians to bomb ships on the see in stead of bombing Aland. Soon after this Moscow made a proposal according to Aland and offered main islands to Sweden, or at least a possibility to use them as military base. Günther's answer (February 1940) anyhow was that Sweden can't made an arrangement "at this moment". Two months later Günther made his proposal to Finns.

Before the WWII Sweden's connections to west were open but, because of Moscow, Stockholm withdraw from Aland contract with Finland. Immediately after Winter War there was a second possibility in a form of common Nordic defense but this didn't realized either. Situation at April 1940 was much more difficult when Germany had already cut Sweden's connections to west. And now Sweden was astonishing active. This is one thing which makes me wonder.

In fact I made my two analysis believing that some AHF member would be familiar with Swedish history and could tell the answer by using war time documents. Swedish government's protocol, Günther's diary, Thörnell's diary etc. There has been several people connected with this matter, so somewhere there is also a trustworthy explanation.

John T

Post by John T » 08 Jun 2014, 19:27

Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: When Germany launched an operation against Norway, Swedish government realized very soon who would be the Boss in Northern Europa and allowed Germany to transport reinforcements through Sweden to it's troops in Norway.

Some three hundred german soldiers disguised as red cross personell where sent trough Sweden as the fighting continued,
After fighting ended in Norway German soldiers used Swedish railway for transport to and from Norway. That’s right but what the relevance for the Åland case ?
Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: - Btw, does somebody know if Sweden reinforced it's troops on Norwegian border when occupation was going on?

Full Swedish mobilization, where most troops defended the south and western borders.
In total more than 250 000 men. The field army consisted of some 76 Cav & Inf battalions, The four battalions for Åland would thus be some 5% of the available force.
Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: Or in Gotland which was much more vulnerable than Aland?

Gotland had been mobilized since the outbreak of winter war, So 4 field army battalions, a number of local defense companies with bunkers along the coast, Coastal artillery batteries from 57 mm to 21 cm caliber and a dozen AA guns in 40 to 76,2 mm. Gotland where the best prepared part of Sweden south of Boden on April 9:th.
Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: If Germany had made an aggression against Sweden, Aland hadn't had any significant role on that. This comes clear if you take a look at a map.

It did not come clear to the High Command of the German navy, You could look in Salewski “die Deutche SeekriegsLeitung 1935-45” regarding a possible war in the Baltic.
And where did German navy in the Baltic go during the first days of Barbarossa?
Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: I also believe that Swedish Air Force's all 50 Gloster Gladiators had soon run out of gasoline when Sweden's connections to west were cut off and Russia was Hitler's ally. Sweden's occupation had been a piece of cake to Germany.

As I know the ballpark volumes of aviation fuel available for the Swedish air force, and adding whatever Finnish avfuel in transit through Sweden at that time I would think the Gladiators would been shot down before they ran out of fuel.
And in a more general term, I do agree that would be a “piece of cake“ if Germany could have concentrated on Sweden but not without disturbing the attack on France, and Note that the allies did already fight in Scandinavia this time.
Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: Sweden's interest to Aland has been known in Berlin and Moscow too.

Sweden interest of Åland as part of Finnish Republic without troops from the great powers yes, But I understand it as you implies Sweden had territorial interests?

And given the sentiments towards Finland after the winter war I believe it was politically totally bizarre to propose such a Swedish backstab.
Before 1925 – possibly but in 1940 it would have been pure stupidity.
The armed forces would probably just get a “communications breakdown” that would last until the orders would have been amended. I simply can’t get your point in this.
That part of the citizens of Åland prefered to join Sweden is clear.
Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: During Winter War Günther had suggested Russians to bomb ships on the see in stead of bombing Aland. Soon after this Moscow made a proposal according to Aland and offered main islands to Sweden, or at least a possibility to use them as military base. Günther's answer (February 1940) anyhow was that Sweden can't made an arrangement "at this moment". Two months later Günther made his proposal to Finns.

Do you care to provide a source ?
Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: Before the WWII Sweden's connections to west were open but, because of Moscow, Stockholm withdraw from Aland contract with Finland. Immediately after Winter War there was a second possibility in a form of common Nordic defense but this didn't realized either. Situation at April 1940 was much more difficult when Germany had already cut Sweden's connections to west. And now Sweden was astonishing active. This is one thing which makes me wonder.

Well, this time Sweden could not pretend the war would not affect Sweden. And you can note that the Petsamo deal where Finland allowed Swedish use of Limahammari where concluded during these days.
Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: In fact I made my two analysis believing that some AHF member would be familiar with Swedish history and could tell the answer by using war time documents. Swedish government's protocol, Günther's diary, Thörnell's diary etc. There has been several people connected with this matter, so somewhere there is also a trustworthy explanation.

Yes, I know pretty familiar with Sweden during 1940, but when you just create analyses without providing any sources yourself.
And you do implicit claims a Swedish intention that I find completely unrealistic .
And don’seem to done any research on the Swedish situation.
I wonder why you expect others to do your research for such a hard task as proving a specific motive for an political action.
I think the simple explanation where that this time Sweden where threatened and needed support. One way to knit the Finns closer to Sweden would be to start a, however limited and futile, attempt to do what the Finns had wanted during the last years.
So the part in Swedish administration that always wanted to stand closer to Finland hade their chance and this time Sweden might win on a deal, thus it was easier(during a few days) to convince the hesitant that and joint Swedish-Finnish defence union was a good idea worth trying. The German attack did not materialize, and the Neutralists regained supremacy in the Swedish government.
And if you want to look at silly ideas, check up the so called Mowinkel Plan for Northen Norway. That was a simply silly idea that also entertained Swedish foreign office for some weeks soon afterwards.

Kind regards
/John

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 09 Jun 2014, 00:54

Seppo Jyrkinen wrote:I also believe that Swedish Air Force's all 50 Gloster Gladiators had soon run out of gasoline when Sweden's connections to west were cut off and Russia was Hitler's ally. Sweden's occupation had been a piece of cake to Germany.
I think you will find the Swedish Royal Air Force had more than Gladiators, but you are probably right - had Germany attacked on 9th April 1940 alongside the attacks on Norway and Denmark, Sweden would have fared no better than Norway. There are scores of examples of how unprepared we were and how poorly things worked when the alarm was raised in April 1940. That is a matter for another thread, however.

Regarding the Åland matter, I found a book called "Flottans beredskap 1938-1940" by Åke Holmquist (1972) while looking for other books. I only browsed through it, but it seemed to contain a lengthy section on the Swedish naval preparations, and the political game behind it, for an intervention on Åland. It may be of interest to you, if you can read Swedish.

The reason for an intervention is fairly obvious; should an enemy power hold Åland and base naval forces there, the northern part of the Baltic is effectively cut off from the southern part. This seems to be the reason given in the book (from what I gathered). This would be a disaster for the Swedish economy as a large part of the iron and wood export comes out of northern Swedish harbours. Some amount can be transferred southwards by rail, but it's far more expensive and puts an unnecessary strain on railway traffic. Additionally, an airfield on Åland would be well within striking range of any action against Stockholm.

Even if the foreign power holding Åland would not be hostile towards Sweden, it might be hostile towards our trading partner. This would probably lead them to cut the Baltic in half, in effect, whether by mines, air or sea power. An example of how a similar thing happened in reality are the Soviet submarine attacks on Swedish shipping suspected of carrying iron ore, even within Swedish borders, post-Barbarossa.

Seppo Jyrkinen

Post by Seppo Jyrkinen » 17 Jun 2014, 17:59

Road from Germany to Sweden through Norway - open border - had been much more easier way than from Germany to Aland and from Aland to Sweden. From pre-war time you can find German documents, which takes Aland is important and other documents which says it isnt. Depends on date and political situation, keyword "Soviet Union". And very typical is that for Generals everything is "IMPORTANT!"

After Molotov-Ribbentrop contract Aland, as part of Finland, was Soviet Unions "property". And Günther was aware from it; he was one of the channels which informed Finns about it (Günther to Tanner 5.2.1940).

France was "a piece of cake" in front of German war machine. They were able to resist Germany just a few weeks even if they had all connections open to whole World and British army as extra. After occupation of Norway Sweden hadn't had any connections to anywhere and army was really small compared to France. "Realpoltik" also tells that Sweden was more compliant than rejective to Germany.

Petsamo wasn't an answer: Wehrmacht and Red Army were both some 10km from harbor and they hadn't had any problems to cut of all shipments.

Soviet Unions representative madame Kollontay discussed several times about Aland with Günther who promised that Swedish government would talk about Moscow's proposal. Obviously Günther didn't bother to tell about proposal to Finns. (Ohto Manninen: "Stalinin Kiusa - Himmlerin täi" pages 100-102.)

Sweden's interest to Aland was so well known in Berlin that a few months later, when Hitler was planing Barbarossa, he expected to get Sweden with by promising Aland. Might have been also Göring's idea who had several friends in Sweden. (Michael Jonas: "Kolmannen valtakunnan lähettiläs", page 199)

Discussions between Günther and Erkko (25.4.1940), Markku Reimaa: "Puun ja Kuoren välissä", page 92.

Critical wievpoint to Sweden's "realpolitik", Staffan Thorsell: "Mein lieber Reichskanzler!" (t.ex. p 140-145).

Opinions of ordinary citizens and decisions of governments are very often two totally different things in Sweden, in Finland and in all counties of the World. I respect greatly those brave Swedish who volunteered Finland during Winter War. They were ready to jeopardize their own life for Finland. But Hanson's "realpolitik" was totally different matter. It was international policy which has no emotional feelings but own benefits only. Sweden's (= Hanson's) reaction to Norway's occupation tells this clearly - "not our business". But this could be worth to thread of its own.

And what Swedish government's transcripts tells about those things - I think they are public today? As told before, there must be an exact answer and we don't need opinions.

Seppo Jyrkinen

Post by Seppo Jyrkinen » 17 Jun 2014, 18:01

StefanSiverud wrote:Regarding the Åland matter, I found a book called "Flottans beredskap 1938-1940" by Åke Holmquist (1972) while looking for other books.
Looks interesting, thanks.

Your argumentation is good if we a thinking pre-war time and Soviet Union, but the situation 1940 was different. Germany and SU were allies and Stalin had send troops to Baltic states.

Günther was also in a hurry which means that he was expecting something to happen very soon, when German troops were marching north in Norway.

Theoretical possibilities in Günther's mind:

Soviet Union was planing an invasion to Aland which was targeted
1) against Sweden (no - after M-R pact Sweden was Germany's "property")
2) against Germany (no - on that time SU and Germany were allies)
3) against Finland (no - Red Army wasn't yet ready for a new war)

Germany was planing an invasion to Aland which was targeted
4) against Sweden (no - for Germany Aland was worthless compared to Norway and Denmark)
5) against Soviet Union (no - on that time SU and Germany were allies)
6) against Finland (no - after M-R pact Finland was Soviet Union's "property")

And because some possibility might be missing:
7) ?

Which one was an acute threat or did such one exist at all?

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 19 Jun 2014, 00:25

I'm sorry the book may be hard to find by the way, I found it by chance in the storage at the local library. Hopefully it will shed light on the matter if you get it.

Out of your "scenarios" for lack of a better word, any depending on the M-R pact can be thrown out straight away as the secret protocols were not known at that time. I do not agree a fast and easy occupation of the undefended Åland would be "worthless" if the second phase of Weserübung had been the occupation of Sweden. Your number 4 scenario makes the most sense.

Once I finish the current batch of books from the library I will probably have a look at the one I found in storage.

Seppo Jyrkinen

Post by Seppo Jyrkinen » 29 Jun 2014, 10:47

M-R pact's secret protocols goes to the "gray area". Before Winter War Finns got information from several sources:
1) STT (Finnish News Agency) got it until the beginning of October (Michael Jonas, page 456).
2) Also minister Günther told about contract to Finns and he's source had been Swedish consul in Paris who had got information from "a totally trustworthy first hand source" - what ever this means. After Günther the contract gave to Germany a permission to take parts from western Finland or Aland if Soviet Union would take more than border areas. (Risto Ryti, p 33-34)
3) And after my non-reliable memory there had been also a third source (USA to Erkko ?).

Even if the exact context of secret protocol of MR-pact was not known for sure, the idea was. Hitler's and Stalin's policy also confirmed the presumptions as true. They had a good cooperation in Poland and Finland and Hitler didn't resist when red army was marching to Baltic states.

Importance of Aland depends very much about situation: islands had been useful to Germany, but the most difficult way. Aland was far away from German military bases and troops there had been almost out of air cover. Swedish navy had had an excellent opportunity to fight against German ships on a 600km route through East See. Southern Sweden and Gotland had been much better place for invasion as well the open Norwegian border.

Germany had also problems to find out enough ships. Before the war Vice-Admiral Thiele had made a plan (obviously a study) to occupy Aland with 11.000 men and 46 ships. After Manninen lack of sips was a problem to Germans which gave protection to Aland also during war-times.

Anyhow, there must bee a lot of war time papers from this matter (Swedish government, Hanson, Günther...). Exact answer is among them. Do you know if there are an Internet address to their papers?

John T

Post by John T » 30 Jun 2014, 05:34

In W M Carlgrens Svensk utrikespolitik 1939-1945 , the "official" but still reasonable independent treaty on Swedish foreign policy. Do not have the book at hand this week but I found thefollowing line of reasoning:
If Germany attacks Sweden, Åland would not been the main route.
But Swedens eastern coast would been weakly defenden.

Gunther asked if Finland would defend Åland against Germany and the answer where that Finland could not guarantee to start a war against Germany.
Understandable, Declaring war on Germany seems to me as an invitation to the soviets to reopen hostilities too.

So then Sweden asked if they might defend Åland themself.

Kind regards
/John

Seppo Jyrkinen

Post by Seppo Jyrkinen » 06 Jul 2014, 14:52

There was several, even serious, talks according Aland's defense between Finnish and Swedish governments. A lot before the war and also during Interim peace. Anyhow Sweden wanted that both Berlin as well as Moscow would accept Sweden's participant to Aland's defense which in fact made cooperation impossible. So Sweden's answer was like "Yes, but No".

When Finns tried to tempt Sweden to take part Aland's defense, they really said that Finland wouldn't be strong enough to take care it alone. But this was tempting and happened later, not April 1940.

Günther was in a hurry but after Reimaa Finns weren't, and the reason was that Finns hadn't certitude about Swedish foreign policy and if Sweden really had potential to defend Aland effectively.

--
Very interesting meeting was hold in the end of August 1940. Jakob Wallenberg had a five hours long talks with Herrman Göring and the main issue was Finland. During this meeting Göring criticized Sweden because Sweden hadn't take Aland at the moment when Finland was weak. Göring said that such had been a equitable reward to Sweden thanks to it's support to Finland during Winter War.

"When Finland was weak" fits well to April 1940.

So both Soviet Union and Germany offered Aland to Sweden but didn't inform Finland about those offers.

John T

Post by John T » 16 Jul 2014, 13:52

Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: There was several, even serious, talks according Aland's defense between Finnish and Swedish governments. A lot before the war and also during Interim peace. Anyhow Sweden wanted that both Berlin as well as Moscow would accept Sweden's participant to Aland's defense which in fact made cooperation impossible. So Sweden's answer was like "Yes, but No".
As these discussions keept going for a long period, things did change, and in April 1940 it was Sweden who had the greatest interest to share the burden of Ålands defense.

Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: When Finns tried to tempt Sweden to take part Aland's defense, they really said that Finland wouldn't be strong enough to take care it alone. But this was tempting and happened later, not April 1940.
Except that in W M Carlgrens Svensk utrikespolitik 1939-1945, page 199-201 you find the following:

On the 25th of April Günther told Erko that Sweden would take part in the defense of Åland, the Finnish government did not commit itself. Also Mannerheim courteously declined the offer when Rappe and H:son Ericson asked a few days later as reported back to Stockholm on the 29th.
And Witting claimed on the 20th of May that Finland would have to maintain a strict neutrality if Sweden where attacked.

Seppo Jyrkinen wrote: Very interesting meeting was hold in the end of August 1940. Jakob Wallenberg had a five hours long talks with Herrman Göring and the main issue was Finland. During this meeting Göring criticized Sweden because Sweden hadn't take Aland at the moment when Finland was weak. Göring said that such had been a equitable reward to Sweden thanks to it's support to Finland during Winter War.
"When Finland was weak" fits well to April 1940.
So both Soviet Union and Germany offered Aland to Sweden but didn't inform Finland about those offers.
Both Germany and Soviet tried to split Sweden and Finland at a number of occasions, there is an interesting study regarding the winter war here: http://journals.lub.lu.se/index.php/sca ... ew/865/650

But why look at what was offered to Sweden rather than look at what Sweden actually did ?

/John

Seppo Jyrkinen

Post by Seppo Jyrkinen » 27 Jul 2014, 09:13

Well, my focus is what Sweden did: a proposal to Finland at April 1940. Historians hasn't find out a military threat towards Aland - so did such exist at all? After this thread it is very obvious that nobody really knows, what was in Günther's mind on that time. The motive did exist, but is unknown today.

The other thing what Sweden did, was that Sweden kept mouth shut about Kollontay's and Göring's talks. During the war and after it.

What is very clear to me is, that both Hitler and Stalin wanted to separate Finland and Sweden from each others and they also succeeded. But that is a worth of an another thread.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”