Brazilian Naval ranks

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
AJK

Brazilian Naval ranks

Post by AJK » 06 Nov 2014, 05:46

Hi,

Could someone please explain the meaning of "graduado" in Brazilian naval ranks? It appears that it is a brevet or acting rank, since I have seen officers with the rank of Almirante graduado promoted to Almirante, Vice-Almirante graduado to Vice-Almirante, etc.

Thanks,

AJK

Dili

Re: Brazilian Naval ranks

Post by Dili » 10 Nov 2014, 12:48

In Portugal graduado means an officer. Graduado = Has a rank, has a grade.
I can't say if in Brasil is the same.

AJK

Post by AJK » 10 Nov 2014, 23:13

OK, thanks for your response.

AJK

ldcv1973

Post by ldcv1973 » 23 Jun 2015, 22:30

Sorry to bring this topic back to life, but "graduado" doesn't mean "officer" in portuguese. As a slang, it is used between privates and corporals, indicating someone with a higher rank , including sergeants and officers.

The real definition of "graduado" is someone who holds a certain rank temporarily or for a specific mission or period of time. It means that his rank is not definitive, he was not promoted. For example, if you lose a captain in combat and there is no other to replace him, you can "graduate" a lieutenant at the rank of Captain, until a replacement arrives. After that you can promote him to Captain, or "ungraduate him" back to his rank of lieutenant

That's why you have a Almirante graduado (temporarily and not definitive) promoted to Almirante (definitive)

AJK

Post by AJK » 24 Jun 2015, 00:30

Thank you very much for this explanation - it confirms what I suspected.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”