Ethiopian army generals?

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr.

Ethiopian army generals?

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 14 Feb 2007, 09:45

Is there anyone had any detailed account of the Ethiopian Army generals during the Italian invasion?

HFK

Ethiopian generals

Post by HFK » 15 Feb 2007, 02:36

Baron, Information on this subject is difficult to find. Osprey has a book about the Ethiopian War of 1936, and most of my information is from that book. Keep in mind Ethiopia had no regular standing army, except for a Royal Guard. In case of need tribal levies were formed into what to me seems more of an armed mob than an army. The governors of the districts were designated as commanders, with the title of RAS for commanders of the large districts, and DEGIACC for the smaller districts. These 2 terms were also titles , I guess comparable to freiherr, count or baron in other countries. If anyone is interested, I will post a list of 27 names. Best regards, HFK

HFK

Post by HFK » 15 Feb 2007, 03:15

HFK wrote:Baron, Information on this subject is difficult to find. Osprey has a book about the Ethiopian War of 1936, and most of my information is from that book. Keep in mind Ethiopia had no regular standing army, except for a Royal Guard. In case of need tribal levies were formed into what to me seems more of an armed mob than an army. The governors of the districts were designated as commanders, with the title of RAS for commanders of the large districts, and DEGIACC for the smaller districts. These 2 terms were also titles , I guess comparable to freiherr, count or baron in other countries. If anyone is interested, I will post a list of 27 names. Best regards, HFK
What follows is a list of 27 Ethiopian army generals, around the time of the Italian invasion. I have translated the title RAS to lieut-gen, and title Degiacc to Maj-gen. I have no other information, so please don't ask. 1- Gen Haile Selassie, 1892-1975, Emperor 1930-1972. Lieut-generals : 2- Birru Wolde Gabriel, War Minister 1931-1934. 3- Cassa Ras, Army of Beghender co. 4- Gabre Hiwot Mikel Ras. 5- Gabriel Huat Ras. 6- Getachew Abate Ras. 7- Imminu Ras. 8- Imrau Ras. 9- Kebbede Aberra Tedia Ras, Army of Shoa co. 9- Makonnen Ras Bitwoded, Army of Wollega co , KIA. 10- Mangasha wube Ras, Div co. 11- Mulugueta Ras, War minister 1934-1936, died 1936. 12- Nesibu Ras, Army of Southeast co. 13- Seyum Ras, Army of Tigre co.

HFK

Ethiopian army Major-generals, or DEGGIACs

Post by HFK » 15 Feb 2007, 03:28

15- Admassu Burru Degiacc. 16- Amde Mikael Degiacc, Army of Arusi co. 17- Biene Merid Degiacc, Army of Bale co. 18- Desta Damtew Degiacc, Army of Sidamo & Borana co. 19- gessesse Belew, Army of Gojam co. 20- Haile Kebbede, Army of Wag co. 21- Hapta Mariam Degiacc. 22- Lij Mikel Imru. 23- Makonnen Endalkatchev Degiacc, Army of Illub & Abor Co. 24- Makonnen Wossene Degiacc. 25- Mangasha Wolde Degiacc. 26- Nasibu Zemanuel Degiacc, Army of Hararge co. 27- Wolde Johannes, CO Military Warehouses. And one i skipped, Abebe Damtew Degiacc, Army of Gemu & Gofa co. I'd be pleased to get any corrections or additional information on any of these individuals.. Thank You, HFK

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 15 Feb 2007, 09:24

HFK,

Good Day!

Well, that's very good information. You're may be right that Ethiopia had no regular army at the time of the Italian invasion and if they do have an army I think its the poorest army at that time. Ethipia was an empire with their emperor assissted by the chieftains of different tribes, serving as generals during the war.Are you sure of your translation of the ranks? Perhaps its their comparative military rank to other nations.

Thanks and More Power!

Best Regards
Baron

HFK

Ethiopian army ranks

Post by HFK » 16 Feb 2007, 01:56

Baron, I don't know whether their army even had ranks. I simply translated the highest title of nobility, Ras, to equal a Lieut-gen, and the lower rank, Degiacc, to be approximately a major-general. The majority of the army had no uniforms, and those who did have uniform often preferred to go barefoot. When you wear a native costume, with no sleeves or even no shirt, there is no place to put rank stripes or insignia. HFK

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 16 Feb 2007, 04:55

Your indeed right..........

asiaticus

Post by asiaticus » 27 Jan 2008, 17:21

tigre

Re: Ethiopian army generals?

Post by tigre » 09 Jul 2016, 01:48

Hello to all :D; a little complement about the Ethiopian army.
The Negus Army goes to war.

Source: http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-photo-s ... 1517103817
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-photo-o ... 235wt_1117

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
Attachments
image081.jpg
Soldiers of the Ethiopian army going to the front line, during the war with Italy 1935..............................................
image081.jpg (45.6 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
image018.jpg
warriors arriving from the borders of the empire
acclaim the Negus in Addis Ababa.......................
image018.jpg (34.49 KiB) Viewed 2426 times

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”