The official AHF Allied & Neutral Navies quiz thread

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Marcus

The official AHF Allied & Neutral Navies quiz thread

Post by Marcus » 13 Jan 2008, 20:16

We've had several different quizes running here in the forum for a while with great success so I'm starting one here too.

The rules are very simple:
The first one to post the correct answer to a question, posts a new question (must be on the Allied & Neutral Navies) and so on.

/Marcus
Last edited by Marcus on 13 Jan 2008, 20:18, edited 2 times in total.

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 14 Jan 2008, 04:21

For camouflage, a number of Royal Navy ships were painted in 'Mountbatten Pink', a grey-pink color blend named for its famous originator although never made an official color scheme.

What did the Americans call this color? Typically randy Yanks ...

-- Alan

Myron

Post by Myron » 15 Jan 2008, 00:25

Nipple pink?

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 16 Jan 2008, 00:56

Correct! Right on the nipp -- I mean, the nose.

From a general picture book Warships of World War 2 (Arco, 1976), page 16:
MOUNTBATTEN PINK: Devised by Lord Mountbatten, this was a mix of some red paint with light grey to give a pinkish effect. Camouflage experts disagreed with its value, for in some conditions it could show up darker. It was popular, but never official.
also Guy Hartcup's book Camouflage: a History of Concealment and Deception in War (New York: Charles Scribner's and Sons, 1980), page 120, boldface emphasis mine):
... Capt Louis Mountbatten, then in command of the 5th Destroyer Flotilla, made unofficial experiments in painting his ships a curious pinkish grey tone rather like the gills of a mushroom. This tone is believed to have been suggested by the ships of the Union-Castle Line painted pinkish-grey and difficult to see at dusk and dawn -- the time when U-boats were most likely to attack. Actually Mountbatten Pink, as it was known to the British (but nipple pink to the Americans) was much more obvious than [artist Peter Scott's “Western Approaches” scheme], ships painted in this color being visible up to 8 miles as opposed to 5 1/2 in the latter scheme. The point was that tone rather than colour was important in camouflage.
and this query into Nipple Pink from a board dedicated to naval ship camouflage. I don't know of any color photos or other original sources about Mountbatten Pink, or even on what occasions the Americans saw it to call it "nipple pink."

"Like no nipple I've seen," said one member at that forum. But it needs looking widely enough and maybe further abroad. Also depends on one's tastes I suppose. In that same line it could have been given other nicknames, more colorful and less repeatable.

I was an aerial photograph interpreter in the service, and camouflage has fascinated me since. I thought to start off this new quiz with humor, but wasn't sure what sort of hints could follow if they were needed. :lol:

Fortunately Myron was up on the subject. Now for his question

-- Alan

Myron

Post by Myron » 17 Jan 2008, 19:34

Thanks Alan! That was a good question. Never thought I would write "nipple" in this forum... :lol:

So what's this then?

Myron

Myron

Post by Myron » 23 Jan 2008, 01:25

Myron

Post by Myron » 23 Jan 2008, 01:25

In the battle of Java Sea, February 1942, only two allied ships of a fleet of fourteen escaped the Japanese forces. Which two ships?

Takao

Post by Takao » 28 Jan 2008, 06:48

I'm not sure if this is a trick question or not? Since the Battle of the Java Sea is usually broken down into different phases, taking place over a few days. Are you talking about a particular phase or the battle overall.

If you are talking about the opening phase, then here is your list:

All that survived the February 27, 1942 opening phase.
USS Houston - Sunk 1 March, 1942, during the Battle of Sunda Strait.
HMAS Perth - Sunk 1 March, 1942, along with USS Houston.

HMS Exeter - Damaged, but returned to Surabaya. Sunk 1 March, 1942, while trying to escape through Sunda Straight.
HMS Encounter - Sunk along with HMS Exeter.

HNLMS Witte de With - Damaged in port during air attack 1 March, 1942. Scuttled at Surabaya, 2 March, 1942.

Ships that escaped from Java and participated in the Battle of the Java Sea.
USS Alden - scrapped immediately following WW2.
USS John D. Edwards - scrapped immediately following WW2.
USS John D. Ford - scrapped immediately following WW2.
USS Paul Jones - scrapped immediately following WW2.

This leaves us with four survivors, not two.

Please note that the USS Pope, while not participating in the opening phase would be sunk with the HMS Exeter and HMS Encounter.

Myron

Post by Myron » 28 Jan 2008, 21:08

Takao wrote:If you are talking about the opening phase, then here is your list:

All that survived the February 27, 1942 opening phase.
USS Houston - Sunk 1 March, 1942, during the Battle of Sunda Strait.
HMAS Perth - Sunk 1 March, 1942, along with USS Houston.
It is indeed the opening phase in February I referred to, and it is HMAS Perth and USS Houston I was asking for (although survival was brief).
Your turn!

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~lenshome/index.htm ("Cruisers")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Java_Sea

Takao

Post by Takao » 29 Jan 2008, 03:07

Name the two United States submarines involved in the only "official" incident of "friendly fire." Yes, one US submarine shot a torpedo at another US submarine.

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 08 Feb 2008, 20:25

Can you give a hint, Takao? Just to keep it from stagnating...

Michael

Takao

Post by Takao » 10 Feb 2008, 16:45

Sorry about that, I've been busy with work.

Hint:
The incident happened on 27 May, 1944.

kgvm

Post by kgvm » 12 Feb 2008, 11:07

If no one else steps in:
"Lapon", commanded by Lowell Stone, fired two torpedoes at "Raton", commanded by James Davis, off Indochina. He believed his target to be an I-class Japanese submarine. Both torpedoes missed and exploded at the end of their run.

kgvm

Post by kgvm » 12 Feb 2008, 11:10

If no one else steps in:
"Lapon", commanded by Lowell Stone, fired two torpedoes at "Raton", commanded by James Davis, off Indochina. He believed his target to be an I-class Japanese submarine. Both torpedoes missed and exploded at the end of their run.

Takao

Post by Takao » 12 Feb 2008, 16:52

Got it in one kgvm. Good job! You have the floor now.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”