numbers and types of belgian artillery..a new approach?

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
daveh

Re: numbers and types of belgian artillery..a new approach?

Post by daveh » 27 Apr 2016, 18:48

Is the article “A.B./Mi T15 - L’ersatz de char de l’Armée belge” in Trucks & Tanks Magazine (TnT) issue 48, March/April 2015 available on line?

In C.L.H.A.M. Bulletin d'Information Tome IX, Fascicule 12 of Octobre - Decembre 2006
there is an article by Eric Simon entitled
Les Blindes Belges en Mai 1940
In this it states that:

Over the winter of 1938-9 the Belgians approached Vickers about a light tank to be built under licence in Belgium. After discussions it was agreed to build 83 Vickers-Carden-Loyd Modele 1937 equipped with a British 40mm or the FRC 47. It is suggested that the idea was to have a development of the T 15 fitted with an AT gun rather than a heavy machine gun.
The source given for this is Les vehicules blindes a l'armee belge 1914-1974 by Jaques Champagne, a book I have sadly not seen.

r/t/s

Post by r/t/s » 28 Apr 2016, 14:06

All I have is this link: http://dfiles.eu/files/xw5co55yq. Hopefully it's not dead yet.

Is it possible to buy CLHAM bulletins (Tomes X...) any longer? Or read online/download.

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 01 Jun 2016, 18:43

When the Germans planned the invasion of Britain (Operation Sealion/Unternehmen Seelöwe) in the autumn of 1940, they put a number of captured field guns on the converted river barges which would transport the first wave of the attackers, to add some weight to the shore bombardment; the Germans had few warships available and those would be fully occupied fighting off the Royal Navy.

Picture is scanned from Peter Schenk's book Landung in England, I believe it shows a GPI, II or III. Some authors state that these guns (captured French and/or Polish guns were also used, apparently, 20 or so per invading division) would be landed and used on shore as part of the divisional artillery, but that seems unlikely; I can find no trace of the necessary horses and vehicles for such batteries in the loading schemes for the invasion forces, and it's also not clear why the Germans would want to bother with such obsolescent guns firing nonstandard ammunition. It seems more logical that after firing off the 100 rounds per gun provided, the guns would simply be pushed overboard.

Does anybody have any information about this, or in general about German use of these guns in 1940?
Attachments
BargeGun.jpg
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”