1933 Spanish (Segúnda Republica) commanders-in-chief

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
GuestOneR

1933 Spanish (Segúnda Republica) commanders-in-chief

Post by GuestOneR » 02 Feb 2014, 06:28

Hello everyone,
I'm collecting info on government cabinet and military leaders of every state, which existed on January 1, 1933. Until now, everything went fine, as I started with Europe - even small states like Baltic ones, Albania, or states of Benelux, no problem so far. Until I got to Spain. There wasn't problem with cabinet, actually, but with military leaders. There is a lot of names known in connection with Spanish Civil War, but what I need are names of top commanders - commanders-in-chief, jefes generales de estado mayor - of all three branches of Spanish Republican Army - Ground Forces, Navy and Air Force (not interested in Gendarmerie, Civil Guards or whatever). I have some basic knowledge of Spanish language, but I didn't find it even in Spanish sources, but it's true I didn't look there that much. Maybe any Spaniard could help me?

To make a long story short:
Interested in Chief of Army/General Staff (somewhere two men, somewhere just one - for my usage doesn't matter which one it'll be, better the higher one)
Chief of Navy
Chief of Air Force
Date: 01/01/1933

you can post some from timespan of 1933-1936, but primary I'm interested in above.

Only thing I found until now was mention of Franco being chief of general staff from 1935 onwards, which I am not sure of being truth.

And sorry for bad English maybe ;). And thanks for any help, in advance.

Ironmachine

Re: 1933 Spanish (Segúnda Republica) commanders-in-chief

Post by Ironmachine » 02 Feb 2014, 12:09

The Chief of the Army General Staff (Jefe del Estado Mayor Central) was General Carlos Masquelet Lacaci, at least from 15 February 1933.
The Chief of the Navy General Staff was contralmirante Francisco Javier Salas y González.
During the period of the Second Republic there was no Air Force as such; there was the Aviación Militar, that was part of the Army, and the Aeronáutica Naval, which was part of the Navy.
And yes, Franco was Jefe del Estado Mayor Central del Ejército from 17 May 1935 to the beginning of 1936.
I hope that helps you.
Regards.

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 04 Feb 2014, 08:53

By the way, it is "Segunda República", not "Segúnda Republica".
Regards.

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 04 Feb 2014, 18:47

During the period of the Second Republic there was no Air Force as such; there was the Aviación Militar, that was part of the Army, and the Aeronáutica Naval, which was part of the Navy.
This, of course, is a very simplified versión of the story. There were many changes in the air forces' dependence in this period. By the end of 1932, the situation was that previously described, with the "Aviación" being like the fifth "Arma" of the Army and the "Aeronáutica Naval" in the Navy. But the budget law for 1933 there was credit to form a new organism that would group all the air forces, taking them from their dependence of the Army and the Navy. This was the "Dirección General de Aeronáutica", created by decree on 5 April 1933. It depended directly from "Presidencia del Gobierno", and controlled the military aviation, the naval aviation and the national weather service (but not the "Servicios de Aerostación Militar"). However, it really never began to work before Azaña's resignation as "Ministro de la Guerra" on September and as "Presidente del Gobierno" in October. A new decree was made on July 1934, which added jurisdiction over the civilian aviation. The first "Director General" was Ismael Warleta de la Quintana. In October 1935, the "Dirección General de Aeronáutica" was transferred from "Presidencia del Gobierno" to the "Ministerio de la Guerra".

GuestOneR

Post by GuestOneR » 21 May 2014, 03:06

Ironmachine wrote:By the way, it is "Segunda República", not "Segúnda Republica".
Regards.
Oh, I'm sorry then. Thanks a lot for info.

GuestOneR

Post by GuestOneR » 21 May 2014, 03:07

Ironmachine: Thanks a lot, it helped.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”