A Belgian built Hurricane?

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
daveh

A Belgian built Hurricane?

Post by daveh » 08 Mar 2014, 18:34

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... two/page-2 shows this pic
Belgian Built hurricane possibly.jpg
which is described as
Only picture I know of of a Belgian license built Hurricane
I cannot make out the word written on the back of the pic which would help...and the date...? June 1940. However the date and style of writing suggests this is a pic taken of a captured Hurricane under repair/dismantling.

If it is a Belgian Hurricane (hence needing the name :D) it must be H.39 as this was the only 3 bladed Belgian Hurricane. However H.39 was damaged by return fire from Do 17 of 1.(F)/22 which it had intercepted over St-Hubert. It ground-looped on landing when its port undercarriage collapsed at Bierset. It was written off as damaged beyond repair.

Pic of the crashed H.39
hurricane h 39 march 2 1940.png
The state of the Hurricane in the first pic and that in the second strongly suggest that we are NOT looking at H.39 under repair.
Assuming it is a "Belgian" Hurricane the alternative would be that it is one of the RAF Hurricanes interned during the Phoney War period.
Is this correct?
and if so which one?
perhaps N2361 which lacked a squadron code and which crash landed at Esplechin near Tournai on 9 December 1939.

can anyone shed any light on this pic?
Thanks in advance
daveh

phylo_roadking

Re: A Belgian built Hurricane?

Post by phylo_roadking » 08 Mar 2014, 22:29

Assuming it is a "Belgian" Hurricane the alternative would be that it is one of the RAF Hurricanes interned during the Phoney War period.
Is this correct?
and if so which one?
perhaps N2361 which lacked a squadron code and which crash landed at Esplechin near Tournai on 9 December 1939.
Well, looking at the prop and the condition it's in, looks to me like it suffered a wheels-uplanding...?
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 09 Mar 2014, 15:44

Hello,
daveh wrote: I cannot make out the word written on the back of the pic which would help...and the date...? June 1940.
the word is 'Brüssel' (= Brussels). I'm in no way an aircraft expert but is there any chance this is actually the wreck of a Fairey Battle?

Best regards
Torsten

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 09 Mar 2014, 15:52

Hi Torsten...I'm sitting with sectional views of both in front of me, and the fuselsage frame members, the engine cradle details, the fuel tank over the engine in front of the pilot, and the wing spar mounts are 100% Hurricane ;)
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”