Flamethrowers used by the Belgian army in 1940?

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
JBbelgium

Flamethrowers used by the Belgian army in 1940?

Post by JBbelgium » 01 Aug 2014, 12:12

Many nations used flamethrowers in WW2. The Germans for example used them to attack the Belgian fort Eben-Emael. These weapons were usually operated by engineer units. My question is did Belgium have flamethrowers in 1940? Did they use them?

daveh

Re: Flamethrowers used by the Belgian army in 1940?

Post by daveh » 17 Aug 2014, 14:07

There were certainly no flamethrowers in normal infantry companies or battalions.
Such limited information as I have does not mention flamethrowers in any engineering units

Flamethrowers tend to be used in some form of assault engineer units. Such information as I have on the use of Belgian engineers does not suggest an assault role for any of these units. Belgian engineer units concentrated much more the development of field fortifications, obstacles and demolitions, i.e. a defensive role

JBbelgium

Re: Flamethrowers used by the Belgian army in 1940?

Post by JBbelgium » 21 Aug 2014, 16:38

That was my impression as well. Looks like the Belgian engineers were mostly busy with building bridges, fortifications, laying minefields and demolition work. I was just wondering because I read on lexicon der wehrmacht http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Zus ... vision.htm that the German divisional pioneers had 9 flamethrowers.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”