belgian aircraft weapons: pics and queries

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
antwony

Re: belgian aircraft weapons: pics and queries

Post by antwony » 25 Oct 2016, 16:20

LineDoggie wrote:All other RAF Aircraft fixed Machineguns were Colt-Browning .303 (AN/M2 style)
If you're just talking about fighters then you're 100% correct. While I don't actually know, suspect a lot of the bombers would have still had Vickers K's at that time. EDITTED TO ADD have just noticed you said fixed MG's... want to say your more than 100% correct :-/
John T wrote:Did RAF consider 0.303 to be up to the job?

Browning in 12,7 did work, rather than the 20mm oerlicon's at least initial mess.
Cheers
/John T
Once again, if you're talking fighters then from what I understand Fighter Command was already trying to move to cannons (which you seem to know given your comment about the trouble with the Örlikon).

But, Bomber Command used their .303 Brownings right through the war.

Stovepipe

Post by Stovepipe » 26 Oct 2016, 02:10

Well, the obvious one that D'hertsenrijk flew them, so Fairey in Gosselies (coincidentally, I worked in the nearby Caterpillar plant in 1996) must have had engineering drawings and would probably have shared them with Hawker or even asked them for stress figures. I would also believe that Hawker would have considered the fitment of any gun desired by the RAF or any other customer, so the BAF would have had to order them from Fairey, somebody did the stress work and engineering tests and FN had to build the guns and supply them, and Fairey must have conducted flight tests and firing tests so there must a paper trail in the archives. I'd bet the BAF museum in Brussels would have something.

A McAuslan

Post by A McAuslan » 20 Nov 2016, 20:33

Re Hurricanes and 0.5" mgs. So far as I am aware none of the Hurricanes available to the Belgian Air Force had been built In Belgium to the larger calibre weapons capacity. Most of the effective Belgian planes had been interned when RAF planes had crossed boundaries before the invasion. Don't forget that Belgium had withdrawn from the mutual defence treaties (The Treaties of Lucerne) and had declare herself neutral. After the experience of WW1 when France & Britain fought their war on Belgian soil and, when requested to do so by Belgium, the French had refused to extend the Maginot line along the Franco/Belgian border this was an attempt to stop Germany from seeing Belgium as a highway to France.
Photographs of the lined up Hurricanes show early Mk 1 aircraft and certainly none of 0.5" armed.
Good to e back after a lengthy hiatus.
Sandy.

A McAuslan

Post by A McAuslan » 20 Nov 2016, 20:44

Albert van den Hove d’Ertsenrijck
This gentleman would have flown in Hurricanes in either 43 or 501 Squadrons since both were equipped with that model in the Battle of Britain period. 43 using Mk 1, till July 1941 and 501 till April 1941. Information on both as supplied by John Rawlings book Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft.
Sandy

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”