Which allied country fought best

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
hauptmannn

Which allied country fought best

Post by hauptmannn » 23 Sep 2003, 17:33

I can see that there might be some debate on which country fought best, achieved most and had the bravest soldiers but i thought it might be intresting.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 24 Sep 2003, 11:18

New Zealand, but I am biased. :P

fighting_scars

Post by fighting_scars » 24 Sep 2003, 11:25

I second New Zealand :lol:

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 24 Sep 2003, 12:13

yes New Zealand 8)

Kasper

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 24 Sep 2003, 17:00

This question is Subjective at best and I think impossible to answer or quantify.

If you have a view on this then please by all means respond, but rather than just naming a country, give your reasons behind that thought.

Andy H

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 24 Sep 2003, 17:04

eh...grhm....hmmm...New Zealand have pretty flag :)

Kasper

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 24 Sep 2003, 18:42

I do not see anyway to answer the question. The Brits/CW fought from 1940 and on halfway through 1941 alone almost, against odds that were at best insane. They had a small Army, small Air Force but were able to not only win the BOB but still give the Germans a hard time in Greece, Africa and on the seas. They never gave up or stopped fighting. I think that shows a great deal of bravery and fighting ability.

However with that said I do not think you could say the UK fought more brave then the Soviets, or the Americans for that matter.

The United States achieved the most, the Naval power alone was untouchable. The US military was also very brave and courageous, take the impossible odds at Iron Bottom sound at Guadacanal, or Wake Island, Midway. Just a couple of examples, the United States fought on no less than 10 different fronts over 10,000 miles apart in some cases. This is unparalleled in history. Not only did the US fight on all these different and diverse fronts but they did it with success and bravery.

The Soviets of course, who could ever question their bravery and achievements. Stalingrad will attest to that when in the early days of the battle small groups of Red Army men decided it was enough and not one foot further and fought and died in a small pocket in Stalingrad while reinforcements were brought across the Volga.

The question is entirely to broad and subjective to personal opinion to ever have an answer that would satisfy the majority of people. All the allied armies were made up of mostly brave and hard fighting men, some had more skill then others, some made great achievements that others did not. But they all obviously did their jobs well and cinched victory against two wild and powerful foes.

Englander

Post by Englander » 24 Sep 2003, 21:51

[email protected] wrote:New Zealand, but I am biased. :P
I don`t have a problem with your choice. David Stirling(head honcho)of the SAS fame.He preferred Kiwi troops over British and Aussie troops.
What`s good enough for him,is good enough for me.....Btw,see English rugby studs,and die. :wink:
The Brits/CW fought from 1940
The Royal,and Merchant navies were at war in 1939.See "The battle of the river plate".

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 24 Sep 2003, 22:08

I think you understood what I was talking about, France was still a nation in 1939 see "defeat of France 1940".

stcamp
In memoriam

Post by stcamp » 24 Sep 2003, 22:16

I remember reading a US after war interview with a group of German generals who were asked pretty much the same question. Here is their reply, paraphrased:

The Russians were courageous - but you could never tell about them. Sometimes they would fight like madmen, sometimes they broke and ran for no reason. The British, even under artilery fire would hold and not break, and once they got dug in they were almost immpossible to dislodge. The Americans even if they were winning would under heavy artliery file retreat.

I don't think they noticed the kiwis :)

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 25 Sep 2003, 05:51

Rommel once said if he had a squad of fighters like the New Zealand 2nd Batallion he would have won the North African campaine. High praise indeed. NZ were in the war from the start, as aluded before HNZMS Achillies was one of the 4 warships opposing the Graf Spee before the heavyweights arrived.
Unlike the USA who had quantity, New Zealand had quality, pound for pound the New Zealanders were an awsome opposition. They held out along time in Crete when the Brits retired and the Maori Batallion scared the shits out of the Germans in Greece. It was the first time some Germans saw a black man live and they were not going to hang around and see what they were like, so they ran. One exhusted Maori solider who was sitting on a rock, when asked why he was not running after the Germans replier, they run too fast for me sir!

Maxaley

Post by Maxaley » 25 Sep 2003, 21:50

Who defeated 507 Germans divisions and captured Berlin? This country fought best, achieved most and had the bravest soldiers.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 25 Sep 2003, 22:14

Maxaley wrote:Who defeated 507 Germans divisions and captured Berlin? This country fought best, achieved most and had the bravest soldiers.
Stalin did right?

Maxaley

Post by Maxaley » 25 Sep 2003, 22:45

Caldric,

Why Stalin? I meant USSR.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 25 Sep 2003, 22:59

Maxaley wrote:Caldric,

Why Stalin? I meant USSR.
I was being sarcastic.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”