Winston Churchill and the occult

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
M.Foster

Winston Churchill and the occult

Post by M.Foster » 24 Apr 2004, 15:39

I have recently been in contact with Sir Martin Gilbert, Churchill's biographer, but as far as he knew there was no record of Churchill having an interest in the occult. I wonder if anyone has information to the contrary. I once read that Churchill was supposed to have taken an interest in the prosecution of a woman under the Witchcraft Act in 1944 or '45 (the last time that act was employed).

DrG

Post by DrG » 27 Apr 2004, 19:05

In "Hitler e il nazismo magico" by Giorgio Galli there is a page about the people and circles that Churchill frequented when he was young. Some were interested in the occult, like, it seems, Lord Balfour, who was in contact with is died fiancé through a medium, or people of the circle of Virginia Woolf. In other words, Churchill knew people that had some strange interests, but it's not proven that he had interest in the occult nor that he knew the "hobbies" of those people.
The only other link to the occult is the letter sent by Alistair Crowley to Churchill in 1940 with a talisman that would have stopped the German air raids. But it was almost certainly an un-solicited help and there aren't proofs that Churchill believed or was interested in what Crowley told him.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 28 Apr 2004, 17:52

I suppose it is a matter of if you consider "Freemasonary" the occult?

DrG

Post by DrG » 30 Apr 2004, 13:46

ChristopherPerrien wrote:I suppose it is a matter of if you consider "Freemasonary" the occult?
I would be interested in more info about the links of Churchill with Freemasonry. Do you know if he belonged to a lodge and, if he did, which one, please?

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 04 May 2004, 14:45

I have seen it mentioned in passing that he was a Mason , exactly what books have any real info about it , I can't recall off-hand. Maybe I will dig a little to find something , but whatever I have in any of my books, is probably not much compared to what you might be able to find yourself.

I have shied away from the Masonic/illuminati conspiracy stuff about the motivations of some world leaders in 1900's. There seems to be enough conspiracy stink about Roosevelt, Churchill, et al., without YET looking at this.

Besides the minute you start asking about such things , remember this sort of stuff has all been categorized as Nazi propaganda ( i.e. Masonic/Judeo/Bolshevich conspiracy theory)

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”