Abwehr and Barbarossa

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
dogrady34

Abwehr and Barbarossa

Post by dogrady34 » 24 Aug 2016, 12:08

Hi, I've been scouring the internet for info and haven't had any luck. I tried searching these forums but it was a bit of info overload - so many informative posts, but hard to mine the stuff I'm looking for.

I should mention I'm no expert and just learning about the topic lately. I have always been fascinated by the Eastern Front, esp Stalingrad, but I must confess this current search for info has been spurred by a PC strategy game.

I'm trying to find info about the Abwehr before and during Barbarossa, and the effect any intel they gathered had on the Operation. More specifically, what info was the Abwehr able to provide on Soviet plans for a German invasion? That sort of thing.

Btw, does the Soviet code name 'Grey Wolf' sound familiar to anyone? Came across it in a game but not sure if it is real or not.

So if anyone can point me to a book or other resource, I'd much appreciate it :)

steverodgers801

Re: Abwehr and Barbarossa

Post by steverodgers801 » 25 Aug 2016, 04:16

I know david glantz has covered the subject on the Soviet side, but besides Gehlens memoirs which are of limited use, I'm not familiar with any works on the german side

dogrady34

Re: Abwehr and Barbarossa

Post by dogrady34 » 25 Aug 2016, 10:36

hi SteveRodgers, thanks for your reply. Maybe I'm going at this from the wrong angle, maybe I'll just look for info on Soviet plans, esp one code named 'Grey Wolf,' then just assume the Abwehr discovered it. But thanks a lot anyways.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”