German Agents in Malta and Gibraltar

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Andres

German Agents in Malta and Gibraltar

Post by Andres » 16 Jun 2003, 19:41

Hi,

Was any German agent interned in Malta or Gibraltar during the War?

What kind of operations could they achieve?

I hace read something about Branderburg agents in Gibraltar. Could it be true?

Thanks and regards from Spain

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 16 Jun 2003, 23:16

I was aware of German agents on the other side of the straits who provided information about naval movements, but not any within Gib itself. Given the confines of Gib and the pro-British attitude I would have thought it highly unlikely any agent would last for very long.

Andy H

Andres

Post by Andres » 16 Jun 2003, 23:24

Hi Andy,

I am aware that there were german agents in Tanger and around Gibraltar, and there was in Spain an "metereologic Squadron" (La Tablada-Seville) and that really was an spy squadron with Luftwaffe pilots, who flown the coast around the strait in Spanish He-111.

Greetings from Spain

Graham Clayton

Re: German Agents in Malta and Gibraltar

Post by Graham Clayton » 18 Apr 2013, 02:31

Andy H wrote:I was aware of German agents on the other side of the straits who provided information about naval movements, but not any within Gib itself. Given the confines of Gib and the pro-British attitude I would have thought it highly unlikely any agent would last for very long.

Andy H
Here is an interesting article giving some background to both German and Spanish espionage activities against Gibraltar.

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/home/mi5-history ... altar.html
"Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, in land, and in the air." - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”