The Most Collectible Model Kits!!!

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
David C. Clarke

The Most Collectible Model Kits!!!

Post by David C. Clarke » 01 Jan 2003, 06:52

Hi Guys, Galahad gave me the idea for this thread. List what you think are the "Most Collectible" model kits nowadays. These are kits that, for some reason or other, seem to keep increasing in price because they are no longer in production.
I'll start things off with a few ship models:

The raider "Atlantis" by Aurora.
The Civil War steam frigate "U.S.S. Kearsarge" by Revell.
The French Battlecruiser "Strasburg" and/or her sister "Dunkerque" by Heller.

All for of these kits command a respectible price on the rare occasions they're offered for sale on eBay. Does anyone care to add to the list?
The kit doesn't have to be a ship model to be a "Most Collectible" kit, nor does it have to be a WWII subject.
Best Regards, David

Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland » 01 Jan 2003, 16:14

A "collectible model kit" list would have to include the Hasegawa Mörser Karl on railway carrier and the Leopold railgun, both in 1:72.
These kits reach Germany in ones and twos in German model shops about twice a year. I have several friends in Germany that are always on the lookout for them.
Altough I am not really a fan of 1:72 scale or Hasegawa, they look cool on my World War Two Model Railroad! 8)
I just wish the rail guns were available in 1:35! Then I could build a Garden railroad, well we can dream :D
Regards,Bill.

Galahad

Post by Galahad » 01 Jan 2003, 17:41

One that would have to command a good price--if you could find one--would be the 1954 Revell Admiral's Fleet kit.

A couple of others that come to mind are the initial release of Revell's USS Boston (CG-1) and Canberra (CG-2).

Still another is Revell's USS Norton Sound. That was a missile test ship (complete with V-2!) that was converted from a seaplane tender, and after the initial production run, Revell altered the molds to make the Pine Island; so the initial run is all there was.

Yet another is the Aurora--I think--kit of the USS Halford, a Fletcher class DD that carried a seaplane in place of the number 3 turret. The kit was inaccurate, but accuracy doesn't seem to count when scarcity is considered.

A REAL scarcity is Heller's kit of the French pre-dreadnought BB Maine. I know the kit exists, but I've yet to see a Heller listing that has it.

Likewise, the IMAI kit of the French steam line-of battle ship Napoleon. It's a BIG kit--30 inches long--but I've yet to see an IMAI list that mentioned it.
Last edited by Galahad on 01 Jan 2003, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 01 Jan 2003, 17:53

Common for these kits are that they represent an item that hasn't been made by others, or it is the best of the available by the time it appeared.

In either case, it is out-of-production...

Christian

Greg K.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:14 pm Post subject:

Post by Greg K. » 02 Jan 2003, 00:18

I have the newest order mag from THE SQUADRON and under the "CMK" from Czech Republic. they have for sale in 1/35 scale,

the Karl Morser wwII early chassis w/parts for Gerat 040 (600mm) or (540mm), resin kit for $142.96 kit#CZRA001

and Karl Morser wwII Late Chassis w/parts for Gerat 040 (600mm) or 041 (540mm), resin kit for $142.96 kit#CZRA004

with the Railway Carrier for Karl Morser 2 railway cars. $169.96 kit#CZRA005

and last the Rails w/Railway Embankment 3 pcs for Karl Morser $31.96 kit#CZRA006

this is a super kit when built, and a nice hit in the pocket book!!!! but you'd be the only one on your block that would have one..

Galahad

Post by Galahad » 02 Jan 2003, 00:33

Holy moley.....the complete Karl costs almost as much as the original. But I bet you have to supply your own AA regiment. <g>

Rich Yankowski

Karl

Post by Rich Yankowski » 02 Jan 2003, 01:22

About 15 years ago I bought two of the Karl Railway kits from a small hobby shop.He had them both,and many other 'rare' kits,in his private back room.He used to buy out other small shops when they folded.Some of the kits were so dusty,it was hard to tell what they were at first!I can't remember most of them,but my friend said some were VERY rare!BTW;One Karl kit I built,the other is still in it's original wrapping.And it's going to stay that way! :wink:

Galahad

Post by Galahad » 19 Jan 2003, 06:13

One kit I've discovered that is very collectible--and valuable--is the old Revell Missile Fleet kit from about 1956. It had 3 missile armed vessels in it, one relatively scarce, one very scarce, and one as scarce as hen's teeth. A copy of it, missing the very scarce one--the USS Boston, CG1--just sold for $355 on eBay.

Of course it DID have the relatively scarce Nautilus with Regulus launcher, and the creme de la creme of Revell kits, the missile test ship USS Norton Sound.

Galahad

Post by Galahad » 24 Jan 2003, 00:38

Concerning the Aurora USS Halford kit, one is up for auction now on eBay--the first one I've seen--and the price is $66, with 5 days to go.

Galahad

Post by Galahad » 21 Feb 2003, 20:41

Based on two that recently sold on eBay for $497 and $301, it looks like the Revell Kearsarge model is the current champion.

Though there is a Norton Sound up for bids, in mint condition.....so that could change in a week.

Matt Gibbs

I assume you only mean Military Kits

Post by Matt Gibbs » 18 Mar 2003, 20:14

Although the title of the thread suggests any model kits.
The first production Airfix kit was a 1950s Ferguson grey tractor that I haven't seen for sale for years. Sometimes kits seem to be more 'hard to get' than rare, at one time I was desperate for a model of the little De Havilland Dragon Rapide trainer/small airliner and although Heller made one I couldn't get one anywheres! Needless to say the advent of the internet meant I got one eventually, even though they are only about $8.
LOL
I have never made ships so I am glad I am not looking for any of those revell kits mentioned earler, though if I see a cheap one I smell a profit to be made! :D

Regards

Matt Gibbs

Einsamer_Wolf

Post by Einsamer_Wolf » 25 May 2003, 04:52

Bill Medland wrote:A "collectible model kit" list would have to include the Hasegawa Mörser Karl on railway carrier and the Leopold railgun, both in 1:72.
These kits reach Germany in ones and twos in German model shops about twice a year. I have several friends in Germany that are always on the lookout for them.
Altough I am not really a fan of 1:72 scale or Hasegawa, they look cool on my World War Two Model Railroad! 8)
I just wish the rail guns were available in 1:35! Then I could build a Garden railroad, well we can dream :D
Regards,Bill.
This is interesting. I saw a Hasagawa Leopold gun recently at a model shop in Manhattan. Whats the going price for these? Maybe Freddy is not aware of this.... gives me an idea.... :wink:

EInsamer Wolf

Yngwie J.

Post by Yngwie J. » 25 May 2003, 21:00

Both the Leopold and the Karl can be purchased from http://www.Hannants.co.uk

£17.50 each.

Best regards,
Yngwie J.

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 21 Jun 2003, 02:51

OK, i have a kit made in Russan in Oct 1975. i think?? it's all in russan and is in 1/30 th size when there was really no set size like they do now.
if anyone wants this kit let me know and i'll let it go for $30.00 + shipping and thats a good deal. all parts are in the box and have had the upper and lower hull put together. but what is really cool about this model is the box cover! it can be framed because it's so big and pretty, it's made of heavy cardboard and is really cool looking. it looks and feels like it was painted in water color,,,, again it has instructions and shows where everthing goes, and is in RUSSAN! take a look...
Attachments
moo.jpg
moo.jpg (53.63 KiB) Viewed 85998 times
mo.jpg
mo.jpg (57.52 KiB) Viewed 85997 times

Yevgeniy B.

answer

Post by Yevgeniy B. » 30 Jun 2003, 07:02

WoW it has a symbol of exellent quality U.S.S.R.

Okay now I see nice understandable russian language.

I have T-34 tank same year and same scale, unfortunately, I can't really put them together in diorama

Yevg

Return to “Model building”