The Most Collectible Model Kits!!!

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Sbf.Koch

Post by Sbf.Koch » 26 Dec 2004, 00:30

Good you 'refound' the topic, now I remember posting on it :)

Seems I was a bit confused by the color of the cap back then - not the chest-eagle, I don't know why I wrote it but okay...
The cap seemed a bit too infantry-like but what Christian said is right - I understand now :)

/Sbf.Koch

procrazzy

Post by procrazzy » 27 Dec 2004, 16:00

I think taht trimaster kits from the 1980s would be quite collectable because they contain plastic, white metal and etched steel parts. In the ospey masterclass book 'ww2 Luftwaffe Fighter Modelling', you can see a trimaster kit.

cheers

Philip

Virgil Hiltz

Aurora model of the Atlantis Raider

Post by Virgil Hiltz » 25 Jan 2005, 02:35

Has anybody come across a model by Aurora Models of the German Commerce Raider Atlantis ? It was produced in the US in the late 50s early 60s and then re released in Holland in the early 70s. I saw one going for sale a few years back for 350.00 Dollars US.

Virgil Hiltz

Kakita Harry

Post by Kakita Harry » 08 Feb 2005, 17:45

Considering planes: the old 1:72 Westland Wyvern kit by FROG gets results of 50+$ on ebay.

I'm still looking for it, but there are hopes that Roden will peoduce one in the near future. :D

Model Maniac

Post by Model Maniac » 02 Mar 2005, 05:10

Bill Medland wrote:A "collectible model kit" list would have to include the Hasegawa Mörser Karl on railway carrier and the Leopold railgun, both in 1:72.
These kits reach Germany in ones and twos in German model shops about twice a year. I have several friends in Germany that are always on the lookout for them.
Altough I am not really a fan of 1:72 scale or Hasegawa, they look cool on my World War Two Model Railroad! 8)
I just wish the rail guns were available in 1:35! Then I could build a Garden railroad, well we can dream :D
Regards,Bill.
Bill, both the Morser Karl and the Leopold have been available in 1:35, by both Trumpeter and Dragon.
Here's the finished models painted by my most productive modeler - "Art Instructor" :

More pics of these massive rail guns are available at :

http://www.falconbbs.com/model19b.htm

and http://www.falconbbs.com/model23a.htm
respectively. :)

Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf » 07 Mar 2005, 06:17

Another kit that is difficult to find and expensive is the Verlinden 1:15 Flak 36 88mm. Saw one on Ebay in Australia go for around $400 AU.

Not seen very often

veezerboy

Not military, but Aurora Prehistoric kits and Pirates of....

Post by veezerboy » 10 Jun 2005, 04:09

the Carribean kits. I have all my Prehistoric kits from childhood, built, but with boxes & instructions. The earlier ones from 71 are easy to get cheap, but the last sets from 74 are the hard ones and the pricey ones!! A boxed & sealed T-Rex went for $1000!!!! a couple of years back. Another Aurora set is the Glow in the Dark series. Wish my dad would not have thrown those out!!

mondo

Post by mondo » 11 Jun 2005, 12:09

Bill Medland wrote:A "collectible model kit" list would have to include the Hasegawa Mörser Karl on railway carrier and the Leopold railgun, both in 1:72.
These kits reach Germany in ones and twos in German model shops about twice a year. I have several friends in Germany that are always on the lookout for them.
Altough I am not really a fan of 1:72 scale or Hasegawa, they look cool on my World War Two Model Railroad! 8)
I just wish the rail guns were available in 1:35! Then I could build a Garden railroad, well we can dream :D
Regards,Bill.

3 years too late for an answer. Both railguns are now availabe in 1/35 scale from both DML and Trumpeter.

Now about that Hasegawa kit. How much do you think it would fetch on E-bay. Let's say I have one in the box.

Lustmolch

Post by Lustmolch » 23 Aug 2005, 14:55

Lustmolch wrote:At my local model shop the other day, I saw an anniversary edition Spitfire by Airfix.

In the plastic bag with header card, this appears to be a limited edition repackaging. The header card is a 1950s facsimile, while the kit itself looks like the 1970s example, albeit in turquoise plastic.
I've seen this one as well. It is the 1970s Mk 1a (also available in standard box) and not the original moulding, the tools for which may have been destroyed. Airfix retooled several of their popular kits, viz, the Spitfire, Lysander, Hurricane, Mosquito, to name a few. If you can find original examples of these kits, they may be worth a bit.

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 09 Jan 2006, 20:44

Just to clarify the above vis a vis the early Spit kit from Airfix. The first mould was used and adapted to make the 1a so as such the mould does not exist anymore. Its not the tooling that was destroyed, simply it was re-used.
Another kit mystery solved.
Frog Penguins, in the green boxes, the immediate pre and post war kits are very hard to find I think, fetch quite a good price when they do come up.
As to rare kits, how about some of the early Airfix airliners, the decal types for BEA and BOAC are sometimes hard to find.
Also the Frog Dehavilland Rapide variant. {i want one but cannot find one!]
Regards
MGibbs

Einsamer_Wolf

No has mentioned Rommel's Rod

Post by Einsamer_Wolf » 19 Feb 2006, 08:15

It is certainly not my tase, but in terms of what it commands on ebay, when it is on ebay, the Rommel's Rod kit from the late 1960s would have to be at the top of the list:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/awillshep ... d_docs.htm
http://www.showrods.com/gallery_pages/rommel_super.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true

EW
Attachments
s Rod.jpg
s Rod.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 27084 times
s Rod box.jpg
s Rod box.jpg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 27084 times
Last edited by Einsamer_Wolf on 19 Feb 2006, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 19 Feb 2006, 14:09

Hmmm... I have a feeling the documentation search for this kit will be exhausting, yet fruitless.

Einsamer_Wolf

Post by Einsamer_Wolf » 19 Feb 2006, 19:10

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:Hmmm... I have a feeling the documentation search for this kit will be exhausting, yet fruitless.
As I said, it is certainly not my taste. However, that would be one advantage-no research! You would probably have to reserach what after market products would be suitable, if you really wanted to build it.

EW

gen.paul

Heller kit Le Maine

Post by gen.paul » 11 Jan 2007, 19:58

I have a kit by Heller "Montage Du Cuirasse Le Maine". Is this the French pre-dreadnought BB Maine that Galahad mentioned on 1/1/03?
I want to put it on ebay and will let this forum know when I do, but first I want to make sure I have the correct ship. I am new to this forum. How can I add a picture of the kit here? Or I can email someone a picture.
Gen.Paul

gen.paul

Heller Maine kit

Post by gen.paul » 16 Jan 2007, 17:40

Now on ebay is rare Heller French predreadnoaught Le Maine kit.
Gen.Paul.

Return to “Model building”