RLM and hobby paint comparison charts

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Marcus

RLM and hobby paint comparison charts

Post by Marcus » 21 Jan 2014, 19:13

I came across the below charts that might be of use:
http://www.petersplanes.com/links.htm wrote:Here is a compilation of Humbrol and Tamiya paints to match (most) RLM, French, Italian, RAF and US WW2 colours updated 30 June 10 : RLM colour chart.xls
23 Nov 2013 Here is a chart of RLM colour chips (from Merrick) with 11 common hobbby paints and their claimed matches (Testors MM enamel and acryl, Humbrol, Tamiya, Vallejo Air and Color, WEM, Lifecolor, Polly Scale. JPS and My Hobby color) from the above Excel suggestions :
RLM comparison chart1.jpg and RLM comparison chart2.jpg
ALSO, here are the charts with the cell row backgrounds coloured to the RLM match to better hightlight the difference between the RLM paint chip and the hobby colour:
RLM comparison chart1 background.jpg and RLM comparison chart2 background.jpg
/Marcus

Marcus

Re: RLM and hobby paint comparison charts

Post by Marcus » 24 Jan 2014, 22:36

This link might also be helpful: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorchart ... charts.asp

/Marcus

Guilelmus

Post by Guilelmus » 27 Jan 2014, 09:46

Interesting, thanks.
Here is another RLM colour chart:
http://www.rlm.at/cont/archiv01_e.htm

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 22 Sep 2015, 02:32

Thanks! just what I was looking for - the link to ipmsstockholm was very helpful - Regards
Greg

uhu

Post by uhu » 25 Sep 2015, 01:03

Most charts show prototype paint colors when they are fresh. They don't take into account scale, no how they were applied. In the field they weathered, the lighter shades fading more than the darker shades. Example is 70 71 where the aircraft gets older the 71 fades much more than the 70. Note also where paints of the same color are used as tough up, the fresher paint is darker. As for application, lightly sprayed over RLM grau or heavily sprayed over the grau make a difference. So no color you put on your model will be totally accurate, and the worst will be colors matched to those chips. Most model paints are prototype colors. The best I've seen is the Extra Color enamels if you lighten them with white or very light gray.

McDonald

Post by McDonald » 09 Mar 2021, 00:06

I am new here. In fact I just registered within the past hour, so if this question has already been asked an answered I apologize.

I build mostly in 15mm (1/100) scale, and I find that Vallejo (the brand of paint I prefer) Panzer Grey is a bit too dark when scale effect is considered. As an alternative I have recently been using Vallejo Bronze Green, which is really a lighter version of Panzer Grey, despite the name. I was wondering if any of you have run across this same issue, and if so, what paint by brand and color are you using? Thanks in advance.

Return to “Model building”