the disparity of personal equipment by different brands

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
ji zhang

the disparity of personal equipment by different brands

Post by ji zhang » 15 Mar 2014, 16:44

Hi all
I guessed there are already people noticed that different model brands generated different sizes of same german soliders' equipment,
ie, the K 98 pouch from Dragon Gen 2 is almost double from Tamiya version,
the M42 Helmets dimensions from different brands are totally peculiar if you compare them together.

my quesion is, if I want to know the exact size of real equipment, i.e. the dimensions of K 98 pouch, M42 grenades, where should I begin with?

many thanks.

chumpo

Re: the disparity of personal equipment by different brands

Post by chumpo » 18 Mar 2014, 03:17

If you do 1/35 scale and have access to measurements of the original item you could just divide that by 35 and measure the items , that at least will get you into the ball park .

Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan » 18 Mar 2014, 21:04

In all honesty, the best way to know the actual dimensions are to find a real one. But even then, there are most likely to be discrepancies.

For years, I thought that some companies were screwing up canteens and covers, until I saw a collection, and realized that they were all correct! It just depended on the prototype they used as their base.

ji zhang

Post by ji zhang » 21 Apr 2014, 19:40

Tom Houlihan wrote:In all honesty, the best way to know the actual dimensions are to find a real one. But even then, there are most likely to be discrepancies.

For years, I thought that some companies were screwing up canteens and covers, until I saw a collection, and realized that they were all correct! It just depended on the prototype they used as their base.
thanks, I knew there should be discrepancy between different prototype, like canteens, but items like pouchs, guns still have discrepancys?

Return to “Model building”