Tiger I intial production

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Chazzer

Tiger I intial production

Post by Chazzer » 01 Apr 2014, 03:27

Hello all, pleased to meet you. My name is Scott (Chazzer is my nickname). Anyway, I would like to share my WIP of A Tiger I initial production. The kit is an offering by Tamiya, Kit No. 35227, 1/35th scale. When I build a model I like to do as much research as possible for the tank I choose to model.
I am modeling Tiger I Ausf E, tactical No. 142 (chassis No 250015), serving in Tunisia with the 4th platoon, 1st Kompany, schwere Panzer Abteilung 501. Tiger 142 was loaded onto a Marinefahrprahn ferry at Reggio, Italy on 27, Nov., 1942.Tiger 142 was the 4th tiger to land in Afrika and the only Tiger of the 501 to land in Tunis.Tiger 142 Landed at the beach at La Goudette, a small port outside of the Bay of Tunis. From there Tiger 142 traveled 15 km to a propaganda shoot and there after was assigned to the 4th Platoon, 1st Kompany.Tiger 142 saw much action from Nov 1942. thru to Feb, 1943. Tiger 142 was hit by a well placed British anti-tank round on 27, Feb. 1943. It was at the battle of Hunts Gap near Beja Tunisia that Tiger 142 met its end. The crew escaped injury but Tiger 142 was damaged beyond repair.Tiger 142 was then scuttled by the Germans soon after. The force of the explosion blew the turret off landing many feet from the hull.

Unique to Tiger 142 is:
The Bosch headlights were moved from the top of the hull and bolted to the glacis with welded bracket supports.(This field modification was done to all Tigers in the 501)
The front mudguards consisted of a thinner narrower guard with out a folding section.
The OVM tools were remounted by the crew per their own specs.
The tow cable ends were mounted on the engine deck facing the rear.
A direct sight post was mounted on the left side turret roof as a back-up.
142s spare track links were mounted just forward of the left and right smoke smoke grenade dischargers (nebelwerfers)
The radio antenna is mounted.
A bucket is hooked the the jack handle.
3 helmets are hung from the right nebelwerfer.
The No.142 is red outlined in white.
142s 88 mm is wrapped in camouflage netting.
Camouflage netting is also draped over the rear hull extending over the left side.
A tent or tarp is rolled and stowed to the left of the turret stowage box.
Whew! That's enough for now!

Here are some pictures of my progress:
This as an overall shot-
The top of the turret-
The rear deck-
Front left glacis including the left nebelwerfer and direct sight post-
The rear including scratch built jack mount-
The left rear including the convoy light which I scratch built and used a dragon bulb-
OVM tools-
More tools and spare track links-

I am super detailing, scratch building, and using a boatload of aftermarket parts including adding bolts, nuts, and rivets.
So much to do, however I absolutely enjoy my hobby and find much needed relaxation.
Thanks for looking. Comments,questions, critiques, and corrections are appreciated.
Cheers
Scott( My friends call me Chaz)
" It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearin' milk-bone underwear"

Marcus

Re: Tiger I intial production

Post by Marcus » 03 Apr 2014, 09:54

Thanks for sharing the photos of your work in process.

/Marcus

rtvstamps

Re: Tiger I intial production

Post by rtvstamps » 03 Apr 2014, 20:19

:thumbsup: Excellent details with your WIP my friend!

Regards!
Rodolfo

Return to “Model building”