Warped resin

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Steve Hutchinson

Re: Warped resin

Post by Steve Hutchinson » 30 Jun 2014, 19:00

Its getting there Ed, its getting there.

we can wait, its excellent stuff, so hopefully the new meds will help.

Off to the paint shop to put some paint on my Pz IV.

Take care

Steve H

chumpo

Post by chumpo » 01 Jul 2014, 08:15

I can't sit still , got to do something , individual track links . That will keep me occupied with108 per container and they all have to be cleaned up . Yikes . The detail for the turret vision ports has to be removed , that's easy . Remember this airbrush ? Was very good in the 70's . But was a pain to use with the paint pickup being part of the airbrush . I still say the paints then were better , real easy to airbrush and you never had any problems .
Attachments
panzer iv 006.jpg save.jpg
panzer iv 004.jpg save.jpg
panzer iv 003.jpg save.jpg
panzer iv 002.jpg save.jpg
panzer iv 001.jpg save.jpg
They have two attachment points and flash to be cleaned

chumpo

Post by chumpo » 06 Jul 2014, 02:55

So far here's where I am . The track construction , I though it would be simply , but it needed clean up of every link . And I had a high failure rate , the darn thing just kept coming apart and you have to hold this track link to assemble it . There were two dimples inside the track that contained the two nubs on the previous track . They were very shallow so had to drill two holes in each track link . After that the track are well articulated and actually sturdy .
panzer iv 005.jpg save.jpg
has all movement and will not just come apart
Attachments
turret vision port detail
other side
the pin vice solution to the tracks staying together
put them together until the running gear goes on
Last edited by chumpo on 06 Jul 2014, 03:11, edited 2 times in total.

chumpo

Post by chumpo » 06 Jul 2014, 02:58

I forgot this , tires cleaned and going to prime
Attachments
panzer iv 007.jpg save.jpg
soon off to paint
just the tracks back into the little containers

chumpo

Post by chumpo » 26 Jul 2014, 07:13

With the slowdown of this build a tenant moved in . The spider on the side of the cup . As soon as I sit down it packs up and moves on out . I let it be and it coexist in the model .
It was a lot smaller a couple of days ago , food must be plentiful .
Cleaned up the turret details . I going to close everything , there's no interior to see anyway . I got to get this thing primed .
Attachments
panzer iv 005.jpg save.jpg

chumpo

Post by chumpo » 28 Jul 2014, 06:08

Been cleaning it up a little bit , the hull lifting hooks were not there and the resin did not provide any . There were a couple of extra ones that came with the tristar iv D . Made two mounts and the hull had the four it needed . I was messing around getting ready to masked off the wheels , and I thought why not take some hollow tubes of the right size and if they are not then just open them up until they fit to slip on to the spindles . A heck of a lot easier than cutting tape and removing them later . And if your going to mass product several panzers as long as they are the same size they are reusable .
Attachments
the spindle mask .
the hull lifting hooks
ditto

chumpo

Post by chumpo » 28 Jul 2014, 06:16

I need bit of help . On the drivers side fender , there looks like a box , maybe tools . It sits right in front of the drivers left side viewport . I been trying to find a picture of the left fender showing that box . It's not in the resin parts or did that disappear in some panzer IV A ?

chumpo

Post by chumpo » 17 Aug 2014, 08:36

I removed the mounts for the two big open end wrenches that sat right under the driver's side view port . I found this extremely difficult since my hands shake so much that I could not hold the knife steady , so grant me a bit of bragging rights . There's still a lot little things to do and I've got to make a list but right now one thing at a time . I've yet to prime this beast but too many doctor visits and medication adjustment just takes all the time up . Now to make the box for the AA accessories that will sit in place of the open end wrenches .
Attachments
panzer iv 003.jpg save.jpg save.jpg
And there was no damage to the fenders much to my surprise .
panzer iv 002.jpg save.jpg save.jpg
The mounts after cutting them off the fenders , they came of in one piece and I managed to save them for later use .

chumpo

Post by chumpo » 08 Nov 2014, 08:42

Sorry about the long delay , I had a lot of problems . but what I could not do in plastic I found in metal . I could not make this box , I just could not hold and sand or file the plastic . this is from voyager for the dragon panzer iv a . its easier in metal because of the folding tool .
Attachments
panzer iv 003.jpgsave.jpg
Box and fence ?
panzer iv 002.jpgsave.jpg
It even works
panzer iv 001.jpgsave.jpg
The latch is not functional

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 09 Nov 2014, 10:16

Really enjoy these posts :)

chumpo

Post by chumpo » 10 Nov 2014, 09:29

Thank you sir , you are the first one to say anything , I figured you would say what's taking you so long . For that I apologize . One tip for making the box , before you roll the hinges anneal them with a lighter , just the very end that way they will roll easy and not want to spring back out again .

Return to “Model building”