Tips for beginners

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
durb

Tips for beginners

Post by durb » 04 Jun 2014, 14:15

I have gone through the sections of tips of modellers in this forum. So far the tips seem to be directed for those, who are already experienced modellers. For this reason I decided to open a topic for novice modellers.

I consider myself to be a novice and I have still some basic problems like how to mask and paint the canopy of airplanes properly. My basic advice for novices: if you are a starter, avoid short run kits and also kits with resin and photo-eched parts (even if you are interested of something which these "limited/special editions" offer). Short runs, small resin and photo ech parts are far too demanding for a novice builder (I know this from my own experience).

With which you could start? A good 1:72 start might be A5M2 Claude fighter by the Hobby Boss, it is very easy to build. After relatively easy paint it is also very nice for display. Try also some basic Airfix or Revell kit. More detailed and more demanding kits later.

durb

Re: Tips for beginners

Post by durb » 08 Jun 2014, 22:37

I have chosen as my first biplane to be I-15, which has couple of advantages: the upper gull wing is easy to attach with fuselage and there are only two parts for the fitting the upper and only two attachments between the wings. There is also not so much rigging. I ask from those, who know better, about the tricks of making a biplane. Also how to make the riggind first time - what is best material, how to attach wires (with glue?).

Also I´m interested to know how to drill holes if necessary in model. I have avoided drilling so far because I have been afraid to break the wing and spoil the model. But maybe it is the question for having right tools. What are the best or good enough?

And then coming to the masking and painting a canopy. I have used both the masking tape and parafilm the later giving me somewhat better results. I have seen videos on Youtube, but I have failed to imitate them. Any good advice how to make the masking and painting as easy way as possible? Or some Youtube videos specially to be recommended?

Hoss65

Re: Tips for beginners

Post by Hoss65 » 06 Jul 2014, 12:57

Hi durb. I have just become a member here and saw your post. Tamiya make a small battery powered drill for model making, if you want something electric. You can find it on their website. However, I have always preferred a hand powered drill as it gives better control over speed and is less likely to end in disasters. Also, hand powered ones are a lot cheaper. You can find them on sale on model shops' websites, especially railway modelling ones, but e-bay and Amazon do them a little cheaper. Here is an example on Amazon UK -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-59159-Ar ... dean+drill
- but there are several others to chose from. You will need a set of drill bits to go with it. You will see some if you scroll lower on the same page. I have always found a set of modelling files to be useful too. They are also available quite cheaply on e-bay and Amazon.

Return to “Model building”