Win "Panther"

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Marcus

Win "Panther"

Post by Marcus » 07 Feb 2015, 13:52

We are giving away a copy of the book "Panther" by Canfora Publishing! All you have to do to be able to win is to post at least one photo of your model builds in this section of the forum during February, the topic of the build can be anything of the World Wars era, it does not have to be a Panther or even a tank.
panther.jpg
panther.jpg (38.99 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
Just post photos of your builds in the model building section to take part, no need to post them in this thread.

/Marcus

Marcus

Re: Win "Panther" - Modelling the Panther tank

Post by Marcus » 07 Feb 2015, 13:52

A review of the book posted here a while back:
Daniel L wrote:Yesterday I bought the recently released book Panther. It has only been available to order from the company for a week or so. An absolutely lovely book. It is a soft cover featuring ten 1:35 Panther kits based on historical version. D, A and G versions from both the Ardennes to Hungary and Estonia to Anzio can be found, including some steel wheel versions, IR/BIWA and command versions. It started as a group build and then it was expanded into a book made to inspire modellers to connect their work with historical research. Each chapter includes the historical background story, how the kit was built and so on. The layout is good looking and the mix of photos of the models and historical photos is balanced. As a book on the Panther it is very educational and inspirational! A lot of interesting information can be learnt from it, both when it comes to the Panther tank and unit history part as well as modeling. Even though I am a 1/72 guy. The authors have made some very deep historical research to present accurate information and models, especially Mirko Bayerl who apart from his own tank also contributed with research for some of the other ones. A side bonus is that Hilary L. Doyle has written the foreword.

The tanks and kit builders/article writers featured in the book are the following:

Roger Hurkmans - 11. SS Pz.Abt. "Hermann von Salza" Panther Ausf. D
Lester Plaskitt - Pz. Reg. 23 Infrarot prepared Panther Ausf. G
Darren Gawle - I./Pz. Reg. 22 Stahlrad Panther Ausf. G
Mirko Bayerl - 9. SS Pz. Div. "Hohenstaufen" Befehlspanther Ausf. G
Roddy MacDougall - SS Pz. Reg. 1 Stahlrad Panther Ausf. G
Toni Canfora - I./4. Pz. Reg. Panther Ausf. A
Brian Murdoch - 2./SS Pz. Reg. 1 Panther Ausf. G (Turm mit zimmerit)
Gunnar Jansson - Infrarot/Bildwandler (IR/BIWA) Panther Ausf. G
Markus Eriksson - 5. SS Pz. Div."Wiking" Panther Ausf. A
Phil Stutcinskas - KG "Peiper" Stahlrad Panther Ausf. G

There is not much negative to say about the book. There are some spelling and formalia mistakes but nothing big. A few more photos here and there wouldn't have been so bad. It would also have been much more inspiring to see all of the tanks in dioramas and vignettes rather than to see a few of them as standalone ones. Highly recommended for those who are interested in the Panther tank, it's the most inspiring book related to the Panther that I have read since "Duel in the Mist", which, should I add, is recommended to read along this book. I hope to see many follow ups in this series based on other tanks and armoured vehicles.

Marcus

Re: Win "Panther" - Modelling the Panther tank

Post by Marcus » 21 Feb 2015, 12:05

There is still another week to join the competition and have a chance of winning this title by posting photos of your builds in the model building section!

/Marcus

Marcus

Re: Win "Panther"

Post by Marcus » 01 Mar 2015, 16:51

And the winner is ... PlasticModels!

Congrats! Send me a pm with you address and the book will be on its way to you.

/Marcus

PlasticModels

Re: Win "Panther"

Post by PlasticModels » 31 May 2015, 11:52

Thank you, Marcus! I'm really surprised! :D

Return to “Model building”