Lavochkin La-5

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Jaor

Lavochkin La-5

Post by Jaor » 15 Feb 2015, 00:59

Hello

I share with you this model, a Lavochkin La-5, an old Hobbycraft kit in 1/48 scale

The interior detail is very low, to avoid making them, I added a figure of "Soviet pilots and ground personal" from an ICM kit

The instructions are very basic, unguided for internal colors, but there are plans and good information on the internet, I improved some details like the radiator, upper fuselage and the doors of the rear wheel.

I installed an electric motor for the propeller

Other details added, the gun sight and armored glass in the cabin made of acetate

The kit brings in options decals emblems of one of the planes flown by Commander 5 Guards Regiment, Vitaly Popkov. Even today there are interesting discussions on various forums about color schemes were used by planes of this pilot, an example:

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=201.0

The engine in action:

Thanks for reading

Marcus

Re: Lavochkin La-5

Post by Marcus » 15 Feb 2015, 11:08

Very nice work :thumbsup: Cool with the electric engine!

/Marcus

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 15 Feb 2015, 15:40

I love seeing these colour schemes that are usually only seen in black & white photos.

durb

Post by durb » 01 Mar 2015, 01:07

Very nice - I´m not able to build anything as good.

Just one detail regarding the cockpit. I have read that Soviet pilots flew La-5 usually with opened cockpit, although it reduced to some extent the speed of their plane and was "against instructions". The idea of opened cockpit was to improve visibility (and also the stubborness of pilot veterans who had flown earlier with open-cockpit Polikarpovs and disliked closed cockpit). The other thing is that at least in earlier La-5 versions the exhaust gases entered to cockpit and practically forced pilots to open cockpit for ventilation.

Jaor

Post by Jaor » 02 Mar 2015, 04:24

Thank you very much everyone for your comments. I did not know the story of the open cockpits, thanks for sharing it.

Best regard

JonOlsen88

Post by JonOlsen88 » 17 Mar 2015, 20:42

Absolutely stunning! Your build inspires me to want to build myself an La-5. By the way, your pilot looks surprisingly realistic.

durb

Post by durb » 18 Mar 2015, 01:33

There are interestingly kit options for different of La-5 versions. The nice one represented here is of the latest La-5FN series or is it a La-5F? There were also earlier LaG-5 and the "simple" La-5 (without "F" or "FN"). Here is one interesting option of early La-5 with nice history of its Spanish (exiled Republican) pilot in WW2: http://modelingmadness.com/review/allie ... tmcla5.htm - with those earlier versions opened cockpit was a standard choice of pilots during the flight, but most probably it was so even with later F and FN versions. First LaG-5 planes (LaG-5 was referring to designer duo Lavotshkin - Gorbunov) were delivered to operational units in late summer 1942 and already in September 1942 LaG-5 was modified further becoming simply La-5 (and by then Gorbunov was not more involved with La-5 project).

There was some wooden form structure in La-5 like in its predecessor LaGG-3 and this could "live" and change somewhat its form (slight curving). This meant the structure lost some of its aerodynamic form and consequently the plane some of its performance, although this was not as bad problem as it was with LaGG-3 (when the curved or worn out structure caused serious vibration at higher speeds).

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 18 Mar 2015, 21:11

Interesting idea as a table fan ?!

Jaor

Post by Jaor » 30 Mar 2015, 02:58

Thank you very much for your comment, the model is a La 5 FN. Very interesting the history of the Spanish pilot, thanks for sharing!

durb wrote:There are interestingly kit options for different of La-5 versions. The nice one represented here is of the latest La-5FN series or is it a La-5F? There were also earlier LaG-5 and the "simple" La-5 (without "F" or "FN"). Here is one interesting option of early La-5 with nice history of its Spanish (exiled Republican) pilot in WW2: http://modelingmadness.com/review/allie ... tmcla5.htm - with those earlier versions opened cockpit was a standard choice of pilots during the flight, but most probably it was so even with later F and FN versions. First LaG-5 planes (LaG-5 was referring to designer duo Lavotshkin - Gorbunov) were delivered to operational units in late summer 1942 and already in September 1942 LaG-5 was modified further becoming simply La-5 (and by then Gorbunov was not more involved with La-5 project).

There was some wooden form structure in La-5 like in its predecessor LaGG-3 and this could "live" and change somewhat its form (slight curving). This meant the structure lost some of its aerodynamic form and consequently the plane some of its performance, although this was not as bad problem as it was with LaGG-3 (when the curved or worn out structure caused serious vibration at higher speeds).

Jaor

Post by Jaor » 30 Mar 2015, 03:01

Thanks for your comment, I hope we can see your La 5 soon,

Regards

JonOlsen88 wrote:Absolutely stunning! Your build inspires me to want to build myself an La-5. By the way, your pilot looks surprisingly realistic.

Jaor

Post by Jaor » 30 Mar 2015, 03:04

Yes, if the polarity of the batteries is reversed you can have a table fan ...

Topspeed wrote:Interesting idea as a table fan ?!

Return to “Model building”