Check out this diorama!

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
power_diorama

Check out this diorama!

Post by power_diorama » 22 Apr 2016, 02:42

This diorama titled "Kampfgruppe Peiper" represents a scene from the infamous "Battle of the Bulge". It shows Lieutenant Colonel Joachim Peiper and the staff of the 501st SS Heavy Panzer Battalion in a field briefing on the morning of December 18th, 1944 just outside the town of Stavelot, Belgium. I would like to get some feedback as this is my first serious attempt at a professional diorama. First, I will post 5 pics and then I will post more at a later date. Thank you! :D
KP(1).jpg
This diorama consists of 2 King Tiger tanks, an abandoned American Jeep, a motorcycle, and 36 figures with various other accessories.
KP(9).jpg
Peiper and his staff with SS soldiers.
KP(8).jpg
This road sign you would expect to find in an accessory kit. However, this road sign was built from scratch from balsa strips and the information printed on computer paper and then cut to size to fit the signs. I researched the distance from each of towns and Stavelot online, which makes it more accurate and realistic.
KP(8).jpg (152.88 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
KP(44).jpg
This photograph makes this figure look real and not like a 1/35 scale figure.
KP(44).jpg (133.56 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
KP(52).jpg
The tank crew of Tiger Tank # 204 waiting for Peiper's orders.
KP(52).jpg (214.33 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

Klingsor

Re: Check out this diorama!

Post by Klingsor » 23 Apr 2016, 21:42

Looks great. Well done!

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 24 Apr 2016, 02:06

The models look very good and echo the images of the Tiger VIB captured by the German cameraman.

I do have a quibble with the background landscape. Stavelot is in a valley with 300 metre (900ft) height difference between the valley bottom and the high ground north and south.
http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/ ... /MapII.jpg

The diorama could be sited just before the Tigers reached Stavelot or just outside en route to Trois Ponts"

This link is to the road just south of the bridge outside of Stavalot the "Chemain du Chateau" KG Peiper came down this road. It is a narrow country road which hugs the side of the hill. If you use street view you can see the background horizon. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.39153 ... 312!8i6656 If you look at the road

This is the roundabout on the Western end of Stravalot. If you use street view you can see the high ground to the North of the road. The woods on the high ground contaioned THE famous large petrol dump.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.39200 ... 312!8i6656

spiralcity

Post by spiralcity » 02 May 2016, 02:28

I love dios, this looks great! Nice work. :thumbsup:

Return to “Model building”