Book OR Magazine that has helped you the most

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Greg K.

Book OR Magazine that has helped you the most

Post by Greg K. » 19 Jun 2003, 04:32

OK, i'll start this off and maybe if we get some really good books we can turn this into a "sticky"

first off i have to say without a doubt there is only one mag/book that has helped me with building models.
AND the winner is: "RARITIES"
by Miguel Jimenez
i bought the mag/book through Verlinden and paid around $15.00 about a year ago. This mag/book has really completely changed my modeling style and how i look at, bulid and finish it. It tought me so much in just one book that it can't really beat anything i've bought and have seen to this day! I have spend at least over $1000.00 in mag's and books on modeling and refernce that i wish i could get a refund. :)

Alittle about this outstanding mag/book:
first if you haven't heard about Miguel Jimenez let me tell you then, well he's won every award thats been made for modeling. From figures to complete diorama's, this guy is out of this world! also he has just started his own Model line called MIG and it is really great to have him in the business because he produses some really great kit's and parts.

into the contexts of the mag/book: first he starts you off by examining the history and the kit it's self, then through building some of the eight ( 8 ) kit's in the book he leads you into how to paint, weathering, dusting, shading, fading, washes, chipping, toning, battle damage, round impacts, rusting, filters, base's, transparencies, smoke. I might have left some out
but "RARITIES" has about anything you want to know in just a small book. He has other modelers work in his book and wow! also at the back he has a Gallery with super models. His articales are about 3-4 pages long or so on each item, and like i said this is a MUST to buy!

if this book can't help you then it's time to take up weaving! :(
here's just a couple of photos of it and don't just take my word, check it out. He's one heck of a battle damage modeler and after you read and study his work you'll want to build some yourself!
theres about 80 pages in it.??
have fun,,,,,, greg k
Attachments
m2.jpg
m2.jpg (75.43 KiB) Viewed 8226 times
m1.jpg
m1.jpg (66.63 KiB) Viewed 8227 times
m.jpg
m.jpg (44.79 KiB) Viewed 8226 times
Last edited by Greg K. on 19 Jun 2003, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 19 Jun 2003, 04:34

last photo.. but this whole book is packed with a life time of lessens in it.. greg
Attachments
m3.jpg
m3.jpg (60.43 KiB) Viewed 8222 times

Yevgeniy B.

answer

Post by Yevgeniy B. » 19 Jun 2003, 06:56

well Greg.

from my experience I never used any books or magazines, even though I knew that they have a lot of great examples, tips and :HOW TO DO FAQ"

Most of dioramas I made were taken from pics I saw in google search, also I was remodifying them. I am not saying that I broke copyrighted diorama laws :lol:

That's just me, maybe in your opinion, you would say it better to buy a book to learn techniques from it. I would not spend money to buy a book, the extra model kit would be better for me

Yevg :)

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 19 Jun 2003, 07:12

ya, but if you ever want to get any better you will have to buy to learn and read and read and try and try.
not to say anything about your age too but sense your so young money matters alot and for an old goat at 42 i think?? i have alittle money to spare, and by getting books and reading will let you to skip many, many levels in your learning curve. and $15.00 in any book or magizine is well worth the research and help... beleave me yevg, you've got to learn by people who have been there and are willing to help. keep it up. greg

Yevgeniy B.

answer

Post by Yevgeniy B. » 19 Jun 2003, 07:44

thanks Greg,
I checked ebay and amazon, I couldn't find book you have.

I will try something else:)

Yevg

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Post by David C. Clarke » 20 Jun 2003, 03:42

Okay Greg, I gave you the sticky because I thought this was a good topic. Now all you have to do is get some good replies to justify it.

Good Luck!!

Best Regards,
David

Yevgeniy B.

Post by Yevgeniy B. » 20 Jun 2003, 05:34

thanks David :)

Yevg :)

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 20 Jun 2003, 05:43

OH, DAVID!!!!

<what pressure>

but thanks, i really think this is one subject that is missing in our hobbie.
if i had something or someone to help me when i started modeling tanks and military stuff about 2 1/2 years ago i think i would have really loved the hobbie alot more than i started with, it was really discouraging to have to have buy alot and read alot of books and magizines and articales to get the few that i have really learned from. so if ANYONE has something that has helped them please list it here!!! or my first and last sticky will go bye,bye.. :)

OK, one of my other great books is called "PANZER modeling" by tony greenland by osprey modeling.

now DON'T think this is just for panzers! it's NOT... this book will put you into the world of modeling from the CONTENTS PAGE this is what it lists:
tools, refernce material, available models, conversion & super-detailing, conversion & scratch-building, speciaist techniquies, painting, weathering & finishing, crew figures, and a huge collection of finished models!
there are 130 pages all in color and all HUGE!! aton of photos and what super ideas.... this has something for everone there are 3 pages full of Army & Waffen-SS Divisional Insignia and German Organizational Symbols AND another page full of them..
i wish i could show you more because it has a ton of great photos from un-bult to built model and figures. hope this helps..

greg
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (51.24 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (59.54 KiB) Viewed 8165 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (42.2 KiB) Viewed 8165 times

Yevgeniy B.

answer

Post by Yevgeniy B. » 20 Jun 2003, 05:46

I found that book called Euro Modelismo at squadron cost like $25

probably I'll buy it

Yevg

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 20 Jun 2003, 05:51

check Verlinden. i think it is cheaper there???

Yevgeniy B.

answer

Post by Yevgeniy B. » 21 Jun 2003, 02:12

the point is I don't really like Verlinden because it has many vol.
1,2,3 etc..

I would rather buy a book that kinda has it all.

Because I am running modeling club in New Trier High School
And also I was volunteering in library and A/V I have gotten a right to
request the books I want :)

So why spend my own money when I can get it from the library, like I said because I am working there I get to keep the book longer

Yevg

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 21 Jun 2003, 02:26

lucky dog :)

Yevgeniy B.

answer

Post by Yevgeniy B. » 21 Jun 2003, 03:43

thanks

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 29 Jun 2003, 23:09

If your just starting out OR have been painting with Acrylics, this is a book that you need to get!!!!

it's called:

GETTING STARTED PAINTING DIORAMA FIGURES IN ACRYLICS.
by Letterman publications, it cost me $16.95 book #LP007 by Brett Avants.

this thing is packed with information that will help anyone. it starts out with materials and go'es right into reference and how to mix and basics of Acrylics. it shows you how to paint any kind of camouflage, from Italian to German to American and>>>... teaches you how to paint FLESH TONE IN ACRYLICS, everything from shadows to highlights!!! also how to paint black as well as white, and there is a proper way to paint these colors..
talk about figures, man this has so many figures that you'll have this book on your desk everytime you want to panit anything! super clean photos of figures.

THIS is a must for anyone who paints in Acrylics!!! and at a good price!!!

thanks and if anyone has one or buys one please post what YOU think about this book..

thanks greg
Attachments
b2.jpg
b2.jpg (50.09 KiB) Viewed 8071 times
b1.jpg
b1.jpg (54.24 KiB) Viewed 8073 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (50.38 KiB) Viewed 8071 times

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 29 Jun 2003, 23:10

last few photos..

greg