History of British submarine ops in WW-2 - Any recommendations?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
hucks216

History of British submarine ops in WW-2 - Any recommendations?

Post by hucks216 » 24 Jan 2015, 16:15

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good book that covers the operations of British submarines in WW-2? I know of a 1971 book by Alistair Mars that has one review on Amazon but with 256 pages I'm wondering if there is anything more indepth?
The U-boats are covered well by Clay Blair (who also provides a good history of US submarines in the Pacific theater) and in the book Business In Great Waters but something along those lines covering the many operations of British submarines seems to be lacking beyond books dealing with individual boats or flotillas (or the recollections of sailors such as the book Sea Wolves) unless I am missing something.

Rob Stuart

Re: History of British submarine ops in WW-2 - Any recommendations?

Post by Rob Stuart » 25 Jan 2015, 13:05

You might start with the relevant volumes of the Royal Navy Staff Histories:

•Submarines, Volume 1: Operations in Home, Northern and Atlantic Waters
•Submarines, Volume 2: Operations in Mediterranean
•Submarines, Volume 3: Operations in Far Eastern Waters, Including Operations of Allied Submarines

I've read volume 3 and found it useful. I was able to borrow a copy through inter-library loan.

I can't suggest any other overviews, but I've read and can recommend the following memoires by RN submariners:

One of Our Submarines, by Peter Young
Dive and Attack A Submariner’s Story, by William King

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 25 Jan 2015, 13:22

Hello Rob,
Thanks for the pointers and the extra recommendations. I've read the autobiography of 'Shrimp' Simpson (Periscope View) and the story of HMS Unbeaten (Being Silent They Speak) which are both very good so will have a look into the two you mention.

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 25 Jan 2015, 21:20

Try Tim Clayton's Sea Wolves for a good general history both of ops and of life on board.

The folks at the submarine museum in Gosport always spoke highly of Alastair Mars' work - there's quite a lot from autobiographical accounts to British Submarines at War 1939-1945.

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 25 Jan 2015, 21:35

Thanks for the information Richard. The review for the Mars work mentions that it only briefly covers the operations in the Far East and has gaps. It is a little surprising that considering how well the equivalent story of the U-Boat and US submarine war is told in such books mentioned above that nothing as in depth seems to exist for the British service, at least on the open market. How well does Roskill's work cover their war?

Rob Stuart

Post by Rob Stuart » 26 Jan 2015, 00:20

If you're referring to The War at Sea, the first two volumes are online at http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/index.html.

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 26 Jan 2015, 18:30

Many thanks for that pointer.
While adding a book to my Amazon wishlist a recommendation popped up for War Beneath The Sea by Peter Padfield which seems to cover the submarine ops of all the major combatants so I will give that a try.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 26 Jan 2015, 22:54

Hi

These 3 books aren't as in depth as your probably looking for, but there worth a look if only to round out the story of British Submarines

The British Submarine by Commander FW Lipscomb

War Beneath the Waves (Submarine Conflict 1939-45) by Peter Padfield

A Submariners War (The Indian Ocean 1939-45) by Micheal Wilson

Regards

Andy H

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 27 Jan 2015, 11:57

Many thanks for those Andy. I have added the second one to my Kindle and will look into the others.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”