After the Reich The Brutal History of Allied Occupation

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Peter H

After the Reich The Brutal History of Allied Occupation

Post by Peter H » 27 Jan 2008, 15:25

Penn44
Banned

Re: After the Reich The Brutal History of Allied Occupation

Post by Penn44 » 27 Jan 2008, 15:58

No. I came across the book not long ago as the Allied occupation of Germany is an interest of mine. From the publisher's synopsis of the book I gathered its political direction, and left the book alone as it fell into the same genre as the works of James Basque. There are too many reliable works on the Allied occupation than waste one's time with works of this order unless one's want to gather a greater understanding of how history can be abused for various political agendas.

Penn44

Ingsoc75

Post by Ingsoc75 » 04 Feb 2008, 15:59

I bought the book last fall and finally finished it last month. Although it dealt with an interesting issue in post-war Europe, I found it kind of dull and hard to get through. But this is just my opinion.

Cerdic

Post by Cerdic » 25 Jan 2014, 19:38

I read the book and quite enjoyed it, though at its length it may not appeal to everyone.

The WP review that Peter H posted seems to be quibble over the fact that the author does not go into prior Nazi atrocities. Well, that is simply not what the book is about and leads one into a rather pointless question of moral equivalency. The crimes against the German people can stand on their own.

I also dont see what substantiation the author has for the claim that the remarkable reconstruction of Germany was the result of the most generous occupation policy the world had ever seen - surely it was the result of the work of the German men and women who put one brick on top of another because noone else would do it for them? The Truemmerfrauen weren't Americans!

pim

Post by pim » 25 Jan 2014, 21:53

Very well stated Cerdic.
I too have read the book and found it OK and worth reading. And there are too many books (the media as a whole) with a bias toward the American (USA) interpretation of the occupation of Germany. Hopefully as the years go by we'll see more objective and balanced books - but I kind of doubt it.

LWD

Post by LWD » 27 Jan 2014, 17:39

Cerdic wrote:... I also dont see what substantiation the author has for the claim that the remarkable reconstruction of Germany was the result of the most generous occupation policy the world had ever seen - surely it was the result of the work of the German men and women who put one brick on top of another because noone else would do it for them? The Truemmerfrauen weren't Americans!
That would explain the uniformity between East and West Germany prior to the Soviet collapse wouldn't it.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 27 Jan 2014, 21:25

Please stay on topic, that is the book in question, not the American occupation of Germany or differences in the economic policies in western and eastern Germany 1945-1989.

/Marcus

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 16 Feb 2014, 11:18

An off-topic post from Anthonys was removed following the above warning.

/Marcus

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 17 Feb 2014, 10:21

An off-topic post from mars was removed.

/Marcus

Haven

Post by Haven » 28 Sep 2015, 00:28

Here is an online version of the book.

https://archive.org/details/AfterTheRei ... Occupation

Here is a PDF version of the book.

https://ia801900.us.archive.org/8/items ... pation.pdf

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”