Review: The Battles of the Malta Striking Forces

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Marcus

Review: The Battles of the Malta Striking Forces

Post by Marcus » 26 Apr 2008, 22:33

A review of "The Battles of the Malta Striking Forces" by Peter C. Smith & Edwin Walker has been added to the site.
http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=9093

btw. The idea with these threads are to encourage discussions on the books reviewed so they can be an addition to the reviews on the site.

/Marcus

B5N2KATE
Banned

Re: Review: The Battles of the Malta Striking Forces

Post by B5N2KATE » 26 Apr 2008, 23:10

Nice to see the LUPO get a mention in Peter's book. Her commander's first name, by the way, was Francesco, and his command had a fine battle record, and easily the best known torpedo-boat in the Italian fleet.

It's great to see British historians like Smith finally turning the tables on Allied propaganda about the RM generally. Easy to see from ships like the Lupo that the Italians were definately not to be sneezed at. Her night attack in May 1941 is a fine example, passing between two enemy ships, launching a pair of torpedos and recieving no less than 18 hits in return. The RM deserves much credit for unabashed gallantry, and for it's downright efficiency in the transport and protection of Axis troops to N/Africa. As covered in other threads, better fuel arrangements from their German allies may well have given the Axis a crucial "leg-up" in Mediterranean waters where increased efforts were so badly needed.

It's looking like becoming a great "What if" of the War in the "Med", namely, what if the Italians had a more constant oil supply?

Anyhow, sounds like a great read from Peter C. Smith. I've not read his other book mentioned , but I do possess a copy of "Impact - The Dive bomber Pilots Speak". If any interest shown in that book I may even "pen" a review of that one
myself....but is this tied to book sales?...Not sure. In any case, this one sounds just great!

Classic malice towards the Regia Marina is shown in the British b&w war flick "In Which We Serve", with two sailors sailing towards Crete, standing on the deck of their destroyer and coming under fire from enemy naval vessels. Two crewmen exchange opinions...

"I bet their real Germans."
"Ay, couldn't get the Itais to do that for love nor money."
"You can get the Italians to do anything for money."
"Nah, can't get em' to fight, thats why they were so lousy in the last war. It's on account 'o their warm, langorous southern temperament."

Immediately after this exchange, a torpedo from an Italian warship hit's their destroyer, and it sinks!

Regards

Christopher (aka Kate)
"Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas!"
("It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees!")

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”