New Book German Police, Vol. 2 Bender-Angolia/Taylor

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
dblmed

Post by dblmed » 07 Mar 2009, 01:25

Uniforms Organization and History of the German Police: Vol. 2 By John R. Angolia and Hugh Page Taylor

This is "THE BOOK" that we Polizei Collectors have been waiting for! (Vol. 1 came out way back in 2004.)

Vol. 2 is stated to cover 5 of the major branches of the Polizei organization:
• Protection Police
• Traffic Police
• Municipal Police
• Gendarmerie (including Motorized branch) and
• TeNo / TN - Technical Emergency Corps.

The book will be huge, at 808 pages & 1,083 photos / illustrations. (More to See and More to Learn!)

http://www.bender-publishing.com/Uni...oliceVol2.html[img]

I got a chance to read portions of this book pre-publication. I am very impressed with the degree of Detail and Explanation, as well as the depth of previously unknown (unseen) information, and well as historical documentation - is without any comparison. This will soon become 'THE' Reference.

I've got my order in for a couple - (one to Use and one to Archive) - and can't wait for their arrival!
... Txs, Dave/dblmed
Attachments
GEPOv2-web.jpg
GEPOv2-web.jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 2367 times

dblmed

Post by dblmed » 07 Mar 2009, 01:27

Even More New Police Material(!)

I just followed the LINK, and there is also a Uniform Poster taken from a German Police office! It has been reproduced (in Full Color), and looks to me, like it is probably the best identification tool for German Police Uniforms. (No more squinting when looking at those little pictures in the rare to find, DDP Taschenbuch or Soldatenfreund issues.)

This is ALL really great news - in helping to understand the many aspects of the German Police! Hat's off to Roger Bender for bringing new great materials to us as Collectors.
Txs, Dave/dblmed
Attachments
poster_template-web-1.jpg
poster_template-web-1.jpg (64.19 KiB) Viewed 2365 times

J. Duncan

Re: New Book German Police, Vol. 2 Bender-Angolia/Taylor

Post by J. Duncan » 08 Mar 2009, 00:03

I bought the first volume when it came out and it was loaded with photos...I did not read the text because I gave it away as a gift to a friend of mine who was into uniforms...I thought the book (like all Bender books) to be of the very best quality...unfortunately, I will not be purchasing volume 2 because I now lack volume 1 (lol) and just don't know enough about the subject matter....I did like the fact that volume 1 covered some of the history of the Isodor Weiss years as Berlin police chief / director. I think that there was quite a bit of material on Göring, Diels, and Daluege but I'm not certain I remember. I will say that if one is into the german police, this is the series to get! I'm 100% certain it will blow away "Police Batallions of the Third Reich" by schiffer publishing - a good book - but not a "Bender Book"!!

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 11 Apr 2009, 18:52

there is a difference between Taylor / Angolia "Uniform, Organisation and History of the German Police" volume 1 and Police Bataillons of the Third Reich by campbell.
1st cover whole the german police (Sipo and Orpo) at 3 levels uniforms, organisation and history and it's an excellent book.
2nd cover the whole Police Bataillons of the Ordnungspolizei history and order of battles (not covered in Taylor/Angolia) and it's too an excellent

So no comparison possible, they are not substitute, second complete first one

Georges

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Post by Igor Karpov » 12 Apr 2009, 09:04

Georges JEROME wrote:there is a difference between Taylor / Angolia "Uniform, Organisation and History of the German Police" volume 1 and Police Bataillons of the Third Reich by campbell.
1st cover whole the german police (Sipo and Orpo) at 3 levels uniforms, organisation and history and it's an excellent book.
2nd cover the whole Police Bataillons of the Ordnungspolizei history and order of battles (not covered in Taylor/Angolia) and it's too an excellent

So no comparison possible, they are not substitute, second complete first one

Georges
Well, according to Volume 1, p. 309, there will be the full coverage of the Order of Battle of Ordnungspolizei. Let's look, as how Angolia & Taylor will consult with it.

Regards,
Igor

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 12 Apr 2009, 12:57

Below is a paragraph written by Mr. Taylor regards the series.

I agree with Mark though, that when it comes to the huge subject of the field elements of the Orpo it would be out of place for us to fill volumes with all the order-of-battle and historical data we have at our disposal. Interesting stuff, and certainly worth a summary and list of elements, but our series is not the correct forum for that - not least because there was relatively little by way of unit distinguishing insignia.

The topic they are covering is massive without the field elements, and as stated elsewhere there are other texts devoted to the subject in specific.

Mark

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 15 Apr 2009, 22:13

Mr. Mark Yerger (I much respect your own work and contributions to the SS field of study) - What are your overall personal impressions of the book on first glance? Are you pleased with the photographic layout? At 800+ pages this is very massive for a Bender book - especially for a "vol 2". Are any biographies of individuals (with photos) covered within the text? I have many Bender titles and I must say they are of the highest quality.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 16 Apr 2009, 03:31

I have the book as there is historian/fact type data and photos of interest for me. Obviously it also covers militaria aspects as a major aspect. A large amount of volume 2 covers Teno, an group interest for me as far as militaria even though I actually collect nothing.. I assume 3-4 volumes will hopefully be done to complete the police.

There are no biographies such as my books have, that is mostly outside the scope and purpose of the series. But (for me) photos include heads of different areas, senior officials in portraits named when used for militaria explanation or tangent dats. Command areas, commands, etc are what I needed though I also enjoy the militaria aspects and history background of the various branches.

Volume 1 had similar topic scope of data included with a lot of good historical data for early police. The way Taylor writes his books for Bender, regarding the combination of history and militaria information, I am comfortable buying all he does without seeing the book first. I know it will have data I can use that is not available elsewhere.

Hope that impression helps. If you need more insight, I'm sure some of the collector/militaria forums are also having input and comments. Design and photo wise, it's beautiful. It is just a lot to absorb with 800 pages and 1,000+ illustrations.

Best
Mark

dblmed

Post by dblmed » 23 May 2009, 03:57

The New Book German Police, Vol. 2 Bender-Angolia/Taylor sets a very high standard
of Historical Documentation and Background Research - as well as Providing Superb TR Items
& Period Photographs, both of which are generally previously Unseen, or Unknown Items & Fotos.

To give you some Examples (to further your Interest!) I had the pleasure of contributing a number
of Items from the TeNo (TN) Landesführer and GenMajor der Polizei, Walther Junecke, for this book.
His items were carefully kept by his family, and therefore they were previously Unknown to Historians
& Collectors.

For Example # 1: A Foto of TN Landesführer W. Junecke in full TN Uniform, wearing the very Rare TN
Brocade Belt with the Gold TN Buckle, and the TN Dagger, with Hanger. (There is NO TN GOLD Buckle
shown in the Angolia "Buckle Book" or other Books!) Also of interest, is that a previously 'unknown' to
Collectors, TN Eagle type variant ('Cut-Out') Eagle patch is worn on his left shoulder. The very rare TN
Landesführer Mantel, with Black Lower Lapels + the Landesführer Collar Tabs, are very special items to
be seen. Most of these referenced Ttems have NOT been seen before, and are 1st published in the book.
....Txs, Dave/dblmed
Attachments
TN-Junecke-w-Gold-B_DaggFw.jpg
TN Landesführer W. Junecke
TN-Junecke-w-Gold-B_DaggFw.jpg (69.46 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Last edited by dblmed on 23 May 2009, 04:42, edited 2 times in total.

dblmed

Post by dblmed » 23 May 2009, 04:07

Example # 2: Here is the SAME Gold TN Buckle - from the Estate of TN Landesführer Walther Junecke,
which is worn, in the abvve Foto. It is shown for the very 1st time. There are certainly probably other TN Gold examples - but this is the ONLY Gold TN Buckle known in TR Collections, as of this date.
....Enjoy, this is a 1st Seen Example... Txs, Dave/dblmed
Attachments
TN-Buckle-Gold-Junecke-Fw-W.jpg
TN Landesführer Junecke's GOLD Buckle
TN-Buckle-Gold-Junecke-Fw-W.jpg (66.2 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
Last edited by dblmed on 23 May 2009, 04:43, edited 2 times in total.

dblmed

Post by dblmed » 23 May 2009, 04:28

Example # 3: Polizei - Walther Junecke was also a GenMajor der Polizei. In this previously unknown
Foto, he wears his Polizei Uniform with Collar Tabs showing, and a M43 Cap, with a very special GOLD
Metal General's Eagle on the cap. A very special Foto, for Polizei Historians & Collectors.

These are only 3 Examples of the 'Treasure Trove' of Fotos and Historical documentation, which is to
be found int "Police, Vol. 2." Hugh Page Taylor outdid himself, with the volume of previously unknown
information, which he Documents, and Shares in this Book. It is a 'MUST HAVE' for a serious Historian, or TR Polizei, or General Interest, Collector.

Georges, Mon Ami (!), you will DEFINITELY enjoy this book, as your book "Uniformed Police" is extensively
referenced, and is referred to, for the wonderful sequential details & documentation, which is found in
your superb Book! Georges & Mark, and All of You "Great' Authors need to KEEP writing Spectacular Books for us!!!

...... Txs, Dave/dblmed
Attachments
1-Junecke-MET-Eagle-1-Web.jpg
GenMajor der Polizei Walther Junecke, in Polizei Uniform w M43 (Gold Metal Eagle)
1-Junecke-MET-Eagle-1-Web.jpg (51.59 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Post by Igor Karpov » 23 May 2009, 11:44

Got my copy. Absolutely stunning.

Regards,
Igor

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 23 May 2009, 15:16

I wait copy ordered from UK. Channel to cross take time !
I look for pics showing the rank badges 1943 pattern as shown in heft 10 "Die Ordenssammlung" based upon article from "Die Räder" 15 juni 1943.

best

Georges

dblmed

Post by dblmed » 24 May 2009, 04:14

TeNo • TN Ranks 1943-1945 - Yes, these are the "Exciting Ones" as there has been so
little written about them - and NO Shown Examples, BEFORE this New Book!

I'll give you a little 'Sample' of what you will find, in the Book!

Here is a Superbe Examples of the 1943-45 TN Rank of "Meister der TN, with > 12 Years," from the
Collection of my friend, Bernd O.

The Shoulder Board has the 'Correct' (IMO):
a. BLACK "V's" in all Siliver Cording,
b. Police Darker BROWN, for the Inner Cording,
c. BLACK Backing Cloth (Not Velvet)

It is a "RARE" Jewel of a seldom seen 1943-45 TN Rank!
It will be educational to hear your Assessment of this Book, Geroges. ....Txs, Dave/dblmed
Attachments
TN-43-45-Ranks-MeisterW.jpg
TN-1943-45-Ranks-Meister, with > 12 Years (Photo Courtesy of Bernd O.
TN-43-45-Ranks-MeisterW.jpg (100.49 KiB) Viewed 1905 times

Moltke d. J.

Post by Moltke d. J. » 27 May 2009, 03:39

Hi,
J. Duncan wrote:I did like the fact that volume 1 covered some of the history of the Isodor Weiss years as Berlin police chief / director.
His first name was Bernhard and he was Vizepolizeipräsident of Berlin. 'Isidor' is how the nazis (esp. Goebbels' Berlin based newspaper Der Angriff) called him. Btw, communists did the same.
For a quickstart: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_W ... F_(Jurist)

Frank

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”