Longerich "Himmler"

Discussions on reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors.
Buy your books through the AHF Bookstore and support the forum while shopping!
Hosted by Andy H.
J. Duncan

Longerich "Himmler"

Postby J. Duncan » 12 Jun 2011 12:15

Amazon.com has for pre-order a new biography of Himmler by Peter Longerich. This is not really a "new" book as it was published in German several years ago but it will be newly translated into English. it looks like it's a massive work (800 plus pages). I was curious to know how this biography of Longerich's (those who can read German and have read it) compares to the acclaimed Himmler book in English of Peter Padfield? Padfield is the most detailed Himmler book I have (compared to Roger Manvell and the even earlier Frischauer biographies). Link below to new book.

http://www.amazon.com/Heinrich-Himmler- ... pd_sim_b_1

giselher
Financial supporter

Re: Longerich "Himmler"

Postby giselher » 12 Jun 2011 12:40

Hi John,

I have and I have read the Longerich book in German, but I haven't read the other bios. Longerich's one is very scientific of course and it had a psycho-analytical touch to it. Example: Longerich emphasized a lot on Himmler's ideal to be a "strong" person, never show weaknesses, and his idea of "anständig bleiben" whatever you do. Don't find a matching word in English. I definitely liked it and found it very informative...

Best Tilman

Max Williams

Postby Max Williams » 12 Jun 2011 13:43

Don't forget that David Irving is nearing completion of his biography of Himmler. If it's anything like his previous biographical studies, it should prove to be the definitive work on the life of the Reichsführer-SS.
Max.

J. Duncan

Postby J. Duncan » 12 Jun 2011 16:47

Thanks for the feedback "giselher". I'll probably get the book despite the appearance of unsurredness to my inquiry because I'm always on the prowl for a new approach / perspective..I like psychological analyses in biographies so this will appeal to me in Longerich but the quality of translation will also be a determining factor on whether the book will appear "well written". Longerich may well be another boring throwback to what has been told countless other times in previous works....a Himmler as "anal hoarding sadist", "monster", "insane", etc....just about anyone can be a Jekyll and Hyde if they are honest enough with themselves. Longerich may also be one of those below in my response to Max. Nevertheless, I'll be open-minded and subsidize his career by purchasing his book.
Max - I appreciate the reminder about Irving's forthcoming study which I have been following with much interest and have definately not forgotten. I'm actually surprised to learn he has published a new book despite the fact that his Himmler book is sapping him of much time etc! Irving is an absolute bloodhound for documentation and I'm certain he will find some amazing gems in his research! I did not mention him only because I'm weary of the controversy (namely, hint hint - his DEFENSE). I can't help but suspect he will share some very interesting disclosures about a very enigmatic man. He will likely go "against the grain" of the powerful herd of "collegiate scholars" who so continuously crank out the standard snapshot, making the subject dull, boring, and drab like themselves, bullying everyone who may have a differing viewpoint. These same pedantic "time servers" will then use his very research to their footnotes in future regurgitations whilst publicly dismissing him as an irrevelancy. What makes Irving so attractive is his ability to show another side to a photograph, a new angle, to paint an entirely different picture on a fresh canvas. He makes history exciting. He's also free to write what he wants (to hell with the critics) without the constraints of the usual "disclaimers" - - no fear of losing his job and income because of PC politics.

coburg22

Postby coburg22 » 12 Jun 2011 17:14

Max,

Thank you for mentioning the David Irving book on Himmler, I look forward to that.

Best,

James

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Postby Michael Miller » 12 Jun 2011 19:16

Don't forget that David Irving is nearing completion of his biography of Himmler. If it's anything like his previous biographical studies, it should prove to be the definitive work on the life of the Reichsführer-SS.
Max.

I absolutely agree, and can't wait to see it.

~ Mike

Attrition

Postby Attrition » 15 Jun 2011 14:29

Progmetty

Postby Progmetty » 15 Aug 2011 11:01

I have heard Mr. Irving speak on his recent U.S tour, talking about his Himmler biography which has been in progress and research since 2001 when he started working on it.
It sounded pretty exciting, he played an audio CD which contained a spoken word reading of the official the British report and officers testimony on the arrest of Himmler and til his death. One of the things I recall now is the fact that a British officer offered Himmler a sandwich while in the car on the way to the house where he died. Which Himmler ate while still in hand cuffs. Supposedly with the Cyanide capsule in his mouth. One of the things Mr. Irving finds unbelievable.
The British report also referred to the doctor bringing Himmler close the window to be able to view his teeth under better light which Mr. Irving also argues this was during night time and there were no strong lamp posts outside that house (that still exist today).
Although interesting it wasn't really what I aspire to hear about Himmler as I have no doubt in my mind the British officers killed him, which is irrelevant and not important today. I wanted to hear about his rise since Rohm's death and his scientific campaigns and the expeditions he sent around the word.I wanted to hear about the alleged "order of the SS" meetings and the Wewelsburg.
But anyway I think a lot of this will be in the book. Irving also spoke of Himmler's older brother which he interviewed in the 70's and about their relationship and how Himmler forced his brother to break up with his fiance.
I personally asked him in the Q&A if Gudrun Himmler is helping him with the book and he said no and that's she's not speaking to him even though she has conveyed her absolute rejection to Irving's views of her father and what he wants to write about him. Which mainly -in my own opinion- would be Irving's insistence of Himmler's acting on his own on a lot of Final Solution issues and going out of his way to hide the details from Hitler.

J. Duncan

Postby J. Duncan » 22 Dec 2011 10:11

Finally got a copy of newly printed book. I am reading this book now and I find it very good. At 1000 plus pages, I think this book will have a good deal of information on the subject. Longerich spends a lot of time on a psychological portrait of the young Himmler, for example going into great detail how the books he read in his youth influenced his thinking. This is a great book if you want to know Himmler psychologically and how he developed into the person he became. Can't comment further because I'm only into the beginning chapters, but I am most impressed with this book thus far. I recommend it....definately surpasses Peter Padfield's 1990's biography.
I enclose below a link to the telegraph review:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/8827 ... eview.html

Cold Spring Child

Postby Cold Spring Child » 22 Jan 2012 01:26

This book has brought other areas of my life to a halt. I'm 200+ pages into it and find that it occupies my mind even when I'm off tending to other necessities like feeding the kids, eating, working, sleeping, etc. Amazing level of detail on young Heinrich's habits and activities. Also a chilling recounting of the explosion of Nazi power from 1928-1933, especially in light of (please forgive me, dear moderator) recent developments in the USA regarding indefinite detention, suspension of habeus corpus, domestic surveillance, infiltration of "enemy" groups, and our apparently permanent state of war against terrorism.

As for the quality of translation to English: I've noted only two or three turns of phrase that made it apparent to me that the original work was in German. Unless you're a real stickler for sentence construction, you'll forget that it's a translation. If I could find anyone capable of translating AT THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM
http://www.amazon.com/At-Threshold-Dream-ebook/dp/B004ZR1BAW
into German with equal proficiency, I'd split the Amazon royalties with him or her.

I'd certainly consider other languages as well...who needs work?

FAH3

Postby FAH3 » 26 Jan 2012 02:18

Cold Spring Child wrote:This book has brought other areas of my life to a halt. I'm 200+ pages into it and find that it occupies my mind even when I'm off tending to other necessities like feeding the kids, eating, working, sleeping, etc. Amazing level of detail on young Heinrich's habits and activities. Also a chilling recounting of the explosion of Nazi power from 1928-1933, especially in light of (please forgive me, dear moderator) recent developments in the USA regarding indefinite detention, suspension of habeus corpus, domestic surveillance, infiltration of "enemy" groups, and our apparently permanent state of war against terrorism.

As for the quality of translation to English: I've noted only two or three turns of phrase that made it apparent to me that the original work was in German. Unless you're a real stickler for sentence construction, you'll forget that it's a translation. If I could find anyone capable of translating AT THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM
http://www.amazon.com/At-Threshold-Dream-ebook/dp/B004ZR1BAW
into German with equal proficiency, I'd split the Amazon royalties with him or her.

I'd certainly consider other languages as well...who needs work?

Absolutely...."Schutzhaft" is Guantanamo Bay...

Attrition

Postby Attrition » 26 Jan 2012 08:54

Action 14f13 is everywhere else.

michael mills
Banned

Postby michael mills » 01 Feb 2012 03:07

I had not heard of the Longerich biography of Himmler before now, but I will keep an eye out for it.

However, I find the references to Longerich's psychological profiling of the young Himmler somewhat disconcerting. I have always been profoundly suspicious of any purported psychological analysis of a person that is not based on a proper and extensive examination of that person by a neutral and properly qualified professional.

So far as I know Himmler was never personally examined by a psychologist or psychiatrist during his lifetime, so any psychological profile of him almost 70 years after his death must be taken with a rather large grain of salt.

Cold Spring Child

Postby Cold Spring Child » 01 Feb 2012 04:43

I agree that the idea of developing a psychological profile 70 years post mortem would seem a fool's errand, but it does not appear to be Longerich's intent. He may have relied on psychologists to help him interpret the mountains of original materials that he utilized in this undertaking, but I'm nearly 600 pages into the book now and have yet to note any overt attempt to analyze HH or categorize him and one thing or another. He draws together events from widely separated times and points out that HH's actions or responses to those events might suggest some underlying psychology, but I've not been troubled by these suggestions. The idea that HH had issues with power structures 8O and being in control :o had actually occurred to me before I read this book :lol: .

Stu

Orwell1984

Postby Orwell1984 » 01 Feb 2012 05:15

michael mills wrote:I had not heard of the Longerich biography of Himmler before now, but I will keep an eye out for it.

However, I find the references to Longerich's psychological profiling of the young Himmler somewhat disconcerting. I have always been profoundly suspicious of any purported psychological analysis of a person that is not based on a proper and extensive examination of that person by a neutral and properly qualified professional.

So far as I know Himmler was never personally examined by a psychologist or psychiatrist during his lifetime, so any psychological profile of him almost 70 years after his death must be taken with a rather large grain of salt.

Curious to know, Mr Mills, where you received your psychology degree from as you seemed to have no problem analyzing Nancy Wake who I don't believe you ever met or examined.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=180888
It's somewhat disconcerting and profoundly suspicious that you have no problem doing what you believe Longerich did.
Don't go choking on any salt grains now.

Return to “Reference Material”