Which SS Generals biographies should be published?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
trespasser07

Re: Which SS Generals biographies should be published?

Post by trespasser07 » 20 Dec 2011, 17:42

Very recently the Himmler book by Peter Longerich was translated from German into English in its entirety. There are many other great SS books in the german language on people such as Schaub, Pohl, Koch and Albert Forster. Any insight into whether these much wanted books will be translated to English? Great thread info guys keep it coming :)
"We believe in what we do!" - written in Friedrich Rainer's Guestbook by Odilo Globocnik in April 1943.

dwicky

Post by dwicky » 28 Dec 2011, 03:46

I'd love to read a biography on Hanns-Albin Rauter. And I know there's an Italian biography on Leonardo Conti, it would be nice if it could be translated.
(And there might not be much material but once I've finished my studies, in at least 4 years, I'll try to write a biography on Karl Gebhardt.)

Markus666

Post by Markus666 » 07 Jan 2012, 17:25

Dear friends,

Mark has already made reference to it earlier:

Schiffer Books will be publishing my biography on SS-Brigadeführer Theodor Wisch by the end of April this year. Mark actually got the stone rolling one day when he contacted and motivated me to put the bio together. Until then I was only an ignorant collector, I must add. With his neverending patience he showed me the skills, gave me advice and kept me on track many times, when I wanted to quit due to time constraint in my personal- and professional life.

Here a short book description to give everyone an idea on the contents:

The biography examines the life of Waffen-SS General and Swords to the Knight's Cross holder Theodor Wisch in previously unpublished detail. A member of the "Leibstandarte" from its 1933 creation to the end of the war, he led some of its most famous combat elements. Wisch eventually commanded the "Leibstandarte" as successor to Josef "Sepp" Dietrich.

Rising through the ranks with the formation, he became a full General in 1944 and was among the most decorated officers of the Waffen-SS. The text includes accounts of the combats resulting in Wisch's awards, as well as details and photos of many "Leibstandarte" personnel relative to Wisch's career. Previously unknown insights from former soldiers, family members, and historians detail significant aspects of Wisch's life. More than 80 mostly unpublished illustrations, to include many of Wisch's surviving award documents, add a visual account to his military career and life. Foreword by former "Leibstandarte" Ia (1.Generalstabsoffizier), Hauptsturmführer d.R. Hans Bernhard.

I hope this book will add to a noteworthy addition to other works dealing with the history of the Leibstandarte and will shed new light on one of its commanders who was previously not studied and shown in greater detail.

Enjoy.

Markus

(Written on Blackberry)

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 08 Jan 2012, 14:27

Just looked it up on amazon Markus cant wait! :)

Trespasser
"We believe in what we do!" - written in Friedrich Rainer's Guestbook by Odilo Globocnik in April 1943.

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 11 Jan 2012, 16:14

I must also agree with Wolfguy would love to see a piece of work on Franz Breithaupt. Best work i've seen on this man is in Max Williams SS Leadership Corps vol 1 with great photos and gives info about his strange death on 29th April 1945 by his own aide.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 11 Jan 2012, 22:04

Just curious, but do you have my book, Leaders of the SS & German Police, Volume I? It features a biographical sketch of Breithaupt (pp. 177-183), with only four photos but quite a bit of detail.
Incidentally, one cannot adequately understand the careers and lives of the SS & Police leadership without owning Schulz's & Zinke's Die Generale der Waffen-SS und Polizei, Volumes I - VI (of 7).

~ Mike

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 12 Jan 2012, 00:06

I don't yet Mike but I would consider buying it does it contain personal information about family, height etc along with career details? Thanks as ever for the useful info.

Trespasser07

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 14 Jan 2012, 19:10

Can I have some opinions on Hitler's Gladiator: The Life and Wars of Panzer Army Commander Sepp Dietrich by Charles Messenger. It has recently been republished with some minor inaccuracies amended.

Markus666

Post by Markus666 » 14 Jan 2012, 20:10

Real quick, while I'm walking to the gym:

I read Messenger's Dietrich bio last September, if I recall correctly.
In my opinion it's well written. Not too long, not too short. Focusses
a little too much on Dietrich's WWI career imo, but then again
it was quite new information for me.
When you know the whole battle history of the LAH already
inside out you might want to flip pages sometimes, when the
author writes about the battles for pages and pages without
mentioning Dietrich.
Summary: I like it, but the book could have MAJORLY benefitted
from two additional aspects:

A) More insights on Dietrich from men under his command.
B) Many more photos, especially unpublished ones! M. Had access to Wolf-Dieter's
archive which he only recently sold...(and which in part is now with me...)

Definitely worth a read though!

Best,
Markus

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 16 Jan 2012, 16:16

Thanks Markus very informative as ever I will get my greedy hands on a copy :)

Here is a list of my top 15 wanted biography books;

1. Kurt Daluege
2. Philipp Bouhler
3. Franz Xaver Schwarz
4. Friedrich Jeckeln
5. Max Amann
6. Gottlob Berger
7. Walter Buch
8. Albert Forster (in english).
9. Franz Breithaupt
10. August Eigruber
11. Karl Hanke
12. Theodor Eicke
13. Julius Schaub
14. Wilhelm Bittrich
15. Herbert Backe

I'm sure the members of this forum will have their own lists and maybe more interesting choices :)

Trespasser07

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 06 Feb 2012, 14:38

Otto Dietrich see below;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitlers-Pressec ... 896&sr=1-3

Hope this becomes avaliable on kindle in english at some point if not will buy a quality german dictionary :)

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 11 Feb 2012, 15:02

Speaking to a UK publisher yesterday one point is missed. While a single reader may have great interest in an individual, a publisher must be able to sell 1,000 or more copies of a biography in a reasonable time. Sadly, most often this is not the case. Many readers seem to want 50 photo books on Tiger tanks, while actually reading books is rather rare. Many questions (various topics) posted have answers in already published books.

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 13 Feb 2012, 14:24

This is true Mark it is a shame as i'm sure they would make some fascinating reading. You mentioned a book on Daluege being prepared by an authour have you any knowledge about when this will be published?

Thanks again

Trespasser07.

genstab

Post by genstab » 19 Feb 2012, 23:50

Far as I know Franz Xaver Schwarz was the Nazi Party treasurer, adept at giving Adolf Mercedes cars for transportation since the early days, and had no active SS career. It was an honorary rank. Not bad to become an SS colonel general.

Glad two of you asked for a biog of Paul Hausser (in English as I think there was a German one as well as his memoirs). There was a real professional. Let's hope Schiffer, Stackpole or some other military publisher takes up a translation.

Best regards,
Bill in Cleveland (OH)

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 20 Feb 2012, 11:56

I agree Bill, Hausser whould be a very interesting read we should get a petition going for it haha :) If Sepp Dietrich was worthy of a book dedicated to him surely Hausser is also.

All the best,
Trespasser07.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”