Review: The Laughing Cow (U 69)

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
sniper1shot

Review: The Laughing Cow (U 69)

Post by sniper1shot » 14 Oct 2012, 06:56

Title: The Laughing Cow
Authour: Jost Metzler
Publisher: Cerberus Publishing Ltd
ISBN: 1 84145 022 7
Stars: 4.5
(out of 5)

OK, this is my last review for a bit.....I have reviewed all I have read lately and need to get a few more books started.
This book is about U 69 and her many patrols, both those that were successful and those that weren't. There are 160 pages broken down into 32 chapters which cover the training, patrols and ultimate fate of the boat. The book is authoured by Metzler who commanded the boat on most of it's patrols but does continue to tell the story of the boat after he left it.
I found myself tense with anxiety as the boat crept into allied harbors to lay mines, and I also felt the excitement as the boat stalked a ship. The gun battle with the auxiliary cruiser makes for a good read also.
I found the last few chapters real quick and the last patrol leaves a lot missing but that is understandable as the boat was lost with all hands and the authour is writing from after the war. There are a few photos and I went to another site to read more on the exploits of U 69 ( http://uboat.net/boats/finder.php ). This link compliments the book with the ships that were sunk.
As I found this book in a second hand shop for $5 it was a good read. It is part of the Fortunes of War series put out by the publisher.
Recommended.
Last edited by Dieter Zinke on 14 Oct 2012, 09:33, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: correct is: "U 69" - NOT "U-69" (with hyphen !! )

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”