Schalburg By Mikkel Kirkebæk

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Rob - wssob2

Schalburg By Mikkel Kirkebæk

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 14 Oct 2012, 18:32

Marcus

Re: Schalburg By Mikkel Kirkebæk

Post by Marcus » 14 Oct 2012, 19:02

I have not yet read it but I saw it in a bookstore and it looks interesting.

/Marcus

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 14 Oct 2012, 23:50

Hi

I have it, and have read it - excellent book.

A fascinating personallity.

By the way - I am going to a lecture held by the autor Mikkel Kirkebæk next monday 22. october 2012.

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 17 Oct 2012, 11:40

Hello Rob

Anything particular you are interested in???
Regards
Kurt
kstdk

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 20 Oct 2012, 12:30

Hello Rob

Not interested after all ??

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 24 Oct 2012, 03:02

Hi Kurk! My apologies! I had totally lost track of this thread and thankfully Marcus brought your response to my attention. Thank you for your replies, and your interest.

Here are my questions:

1) How was Mikkel Kirkebæk's lecture?

2) You described the book as "excellent" - tell us more

3) You described Schalburg as "a fascinating personality" - give some examples of what you found fascinating.

4) What motivated Mikkel Kirkebæk to write about Schalburg?

5) What significance does Schalburg have on today's Denmark?

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 24 Oct 2012, 17:45

Hi Rob

You are welcome, thanks for your reply :O)

Your questions will take a little while to answer. I will come back with full answer a bit later, OK?

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 24 Oct 2012, 19:32

Hi Rob

Here we go:

Here are my questions:

1) How was Mikkel Kirkebæk's lecture?

The lecture monday this week was interesting in the way, that Mikkel Kirkebæk´s background for writing the book came out, and he had in an earlier text written about the NSU (The Nationalist Youth org. in Denmark) and in that connection has read and heard a little about Schalburg that woke his interest. He has always, as many Danes now adays thought that von Schalburg had something to do with the Schalburg Corps, which he did not – this notorious corps of terror was established in 1944 – and Schalburg died on the eastfront in 1942.

2) You described the book as "excellent" - tell us more!

Well it is excellent in the way it is wrttten, and in the way it – so to speak – “build” the person C. F. von Schalburg from birth to his early dead - age 36 in june 1942. It describes his childhood in Russia and his life near the Zar and the most wealthy and influencial families in Russia at that time before the revolution. He was born in Zmeinogorsk, Sibiria 15.4.1906 and was named Konstantin Feodorovitch Schalburg and lived in Russia until the summer 1917 when they fled to Denmark.
It also describes his youth in Denmark – his time in the Danish military etc. etc. all the way to the eastfront where he was killed during a frontal attack in june 1942.

3) You described Schalburg as "a fascinating personality" - give some examples of what you found fascinating.

I find him fascinating because he – at the same time was a treator of his (second) homeland – Denmark, while he was very patriotic against his (first) homeland Russia and in a way also patriotic towards Denmark – as he never had any ill thoughts or did anything in Denmark but only was in action on the east front against the “bolcheviks” – the red communists who had thrown him out of Russia and killed his beloved Zar. It must have been a bit frustrated to fight in Russia with the Germans against Russians – for him there was two kinds of russians, and he was always kind to the civilian population – he was there to kill communists, and the only way he could do that was by signing up with the Germans and join the SS. But I am sure that He must have had mixed feelings about that – He also tried to join the Finnish Army but the Danish Army did not allow him to do that – The finns did really want him, because he had joined the Danish Brigade in Finland in 1940 – but it schould not be so. He also tried to join the Rumænian Ironguard which also did not succed – so it was to the SS if he schould fight the communists. He must have been a very split person it many ways. It was the German who occupied Denmark 9. april 1940 - but he had never forgiven the danish government that they did not fight the Germans then.

4) What motivated Mikkel Kirkebæk to write about Schalburg?

It was a result of many years of rescearch and the many stories through the years about C. F. von Schalburg had been of very different and shaded recolection since 1945 until 2005 many thought that von Schalburg was the man behind the killling and sabotage done by the Germans in Denmark by the Schalburg Corps. That was wrong and this is also an attemt to straigthen a couple of things out, putting some things right, but not to glorify von Schalburg but to write some facts instead of all the rumors and stories that had been written during many years. And then, Mikkel Kirkebæk said – no one had written about him in that way before – as a biografy.

5) What significance does Schalburg have on today's Denmark?

Well if I have to say my opinion, none at all. Most of Denmarks population does not even know who he was (my statement) but it is my personal opinion, also because when I talk about him and about the book when I had read it – people said “who” – so that’s why.
One has to have a special interest in the occupation of Denmark and the war in general to understand and work and read this kind of books.

But – I will say that every 510 pages in that book is worth reading – it really tells a lot about why people reacts the way they do in certain surcomstances – but times has changed – I don’t think it could happened today – times was really different in 1900 – 1940´s

The book is only in Danish until now, and I don’t think it is intended to come in any other language. And it is not easy to give it its right value here, there is so many aspects in this book and about that man.

By the way – the chapters that is about his family is also very fascinating, specially what is written about his sister Vera Schalburg – the spy who worked for the russian, german and the british intelligence servises and mysteriously dissapeared in Germany in 1945 – but that is a quite different story – maybe Mikkel Kirkebæk will write that one day – try to search the internet for her!!

If you want to have any more info from or about the book, please do not hesitate to say so.

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 27 Oct 2012, 13:07

Hello

It was during the research for this book "Beredt for Danmark" about the NSU (Nationalist Youth Organisation) that Schalburg woke Mikkel Kirkebæk´s interest.

Regards
Kurt
kstdk
Attachments
beredt-for-danmark_164768.jpg

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 27 Oct 2012, 13:10

Hi

Also see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_ ... _Schalburg

Regards