Review: Hitler's Final Fortress Breslau 1945 by R Hargreaves

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Dutto1

Review: Hitler's Final Fortress Breslau 1945 by R Hargreaves

Post by Dutto1 » 03 Dec 2012, 13:45

This is Richard Hargreaves's third book.His first book was The Germans in Normandy which was very good,the second was Blitzkrieg Unleashed which covered the Polish Campaign in September 1939,in which there is very litte available in English.

The latest book Hitler's Final Fortress Breslau 1945,is another gem of a book in which very little information is available in English,until now.The author has used many German sources most notably Horst Gleiss's 10 volume Breslauer Apokalypse 1945 to tell the story of the terrible siege that occured January 1945- May 1945,and ended four days after the surrender of Berlin.The book is crammed with first-hand accounts from civillans to German soldiers and Russain soldiers.The human aspect of the book is enthralling and at times horrific and provides the reader with an excellent insight into the horror of war.At the end of the book the fate of the many carachters is discussed on how they made their way in the post-war world.The book has an brilliant biblography at the back and is backed up by good photos and maps.

The book is an 5 star book based on content and presentation and excellent research, probably my best book of 2012
Last edited by Dieter Zinke on 27 Mar 2013, 15:38, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Change the title format

Richard Hargreaves

Re: Hitler's Final Fortress Breslau 1945 by R Hargreaves-Rev

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 03 Dec 2012, 20:30

Many thanks Ron. Best book I've written by far - which is rather underlined by the positive reviews.

Be at least two more years, probably three before anyone sees my fourth tome. :(

Dutto1

Post by Dutto1 » 03 Dec 2012, 21:48

No problem Richard. The book has given me a good taster for the Breslau subject,i only wish my German was up to a good standard so i could read Breslauer Apokalypse.Can never see that being translated not enough money in it.

Regards,

Ron

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 05 Dec 2012, 00:30

Dutto1 wrote:No problem Richard. The book has given me a good taster for the Breslau subject,i only wish my German was up to a good standard so i could read Breslauer Apokalypse.Can never see that being translated not enough money in it.
A translation of Breslauer Apokalypse? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Something like 10,000 words over 11 volumes (if you include Breslauer Exodus). No chance. You only really need it if you're writing a book on the subject or doing some serious research on the Festung.

There are only two copies of the complete set that I know of in the UK. IWM and mine. (British Library doesn't have a set)

There are two full sets on ZVAB presently for £400; I'd say that's good value. I've seen it cost up to £1K. 8O

Dutto1

Post by Dutto1 » 22 Dec 2012, 15:45

Richard Hargreaves wrote:
Dutto1 wrote:No problem Richard. The book has given me a good taster for the Breslau subject,i only wish my German was up to a good standard so i could read Breslauer Apokalypse.Can never see that being translated not enough money in it.
A translation of Breslauer Apokalypse? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Something like 10,000 words over 11 volumes (if you include Breslauer Exodus). No chance. You only really need it if you're writing a book on the subject or doing some serious research on the Festung.

There are only two copies of the complete set that I know of in the UK. IWM and mine. (British Library doesn't have a set)

There are two full sets on ZVAB presently for £400; I'd say that's good value. I've seen it cost up to £1K. 8O
I would take an abriged version of say 1000 pages ! But you are right it will never happen.

400 GBP is a very good price Helion had a set for 950 GBP a while back.I suppose they will only go up in value.

Regards,

Ron

Andy H
Forum Staff

Re: Review: Hitler's Final Fortress Breslau 1945 by R Hargre

Post by Andy H » 28 Dec 2012, 22:31

Hi

Reviews of Richards earlier two works mentioned above can be found here:-

HARGREAVES, Richard: Blitzkrieg Unleashed. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=137912
HARGREAVES, Richard: The Germans in Normandy. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=113218

Regards

Andy H