Books written by soldiers?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
ylla

Books written by soldiers?

Post by ylla » 17 Feb 2014, 14:16

Any books written by german soldiers ( Wehrmacht, Waffen ss, heer) during the third reich?

Thank you. :milsmile:

Dann Falk

Re: Books written by soldiers?

Post by Dann Falk » 17 Feb 2014, 18:45

Too many to read.....English/German.

If you are just starting out reading about WW2 from the German point of view your #1 book should be The Forgotten Solider by Guy Sajer. This book has some issues, but I think one of the best you can find!

Hope this helps.

Dann

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 17 Feb 2014, 20:13

We have a long thread discussing "The Forgotten Soldier" and if it is a true account or not: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60531

/Marcus

Oberleutnant von Bostell

Post by Oberleutnant von Bostell » 27 Sep 2014, 09:33

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread but I am currently reading "At Hitler's Side" by Nicolaus von Below, and I have finished reading "Sniper on the Eastern Front" by Albrecht Wacker. But by far the best book I ever read was "Blood Red Snow" by Gunter K. Koschorrek. I enjoyed that book the best by far!
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -Voltaire

Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan » 27 Sep 2014, 16:13

Visit www.aberjonapress.com

They have a few, not just German, either!

wenty

Post by wenty » 28 Sep 2014, 03:00

I read one called "Soldat" by Siegfried Knapp which was quite interesting, and also "A Child of Hitler" by Alfons Heck - both very interesting reads, but as other members have already said, the list is innumerable. It really depends on what area of the military you're interested in reading memoirs about.

Cheers,
Adam.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 28 Sep 2014, 09:46

For somebody less interested in pure military story: 'I Deserted Hitler: Memoirs of Bruno J Trappmann'
From BookDepository.com:
The story opens with touching descriptions of the simplicity of a young boy's life growing up under Hitler's Third Reich where, at every step of his being, he is in conflict with Nazi ideology and values to which he cannot conform. The story moves across his time in the German army at 21 years of age, his desertion, life under the Russians and his final days living with his beloved Nancy in Australia.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”