Danny Parker's new Peiper book to be released.

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
krichter33

Danny Parker's new Peiper book to be released.

Post by krichter33 » 18 Feb 2014, 02:57

The first part of Danny S. Parker's long awaited biography of Joachim Peiper is to be released this December.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghosts-Malmedy-Co ... 560&sr=1-4

Marcus

Re: Danny Parker's new Peiper book to be released.

Post by Marcus » 18 Feb 2014, 10:43

Just adding the title to help those searching: "Ghosts of Malmedy: The Life and Wars of SS Colonel Jochen Peiper".

/Marcus

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 18 Feb 2014, 11:13

krichter33 wrote:The first part of Danny S. Parker's long awaited biography of Joachim Peiper is to be released this December.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghosts-Malmedy-Co ... 560&sr=1-4
Thanks for the heads-up. Do you have any insights into the contents of the book, will there be anything new in it or a different take from other authors ?

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 18 Feb 2014, 12:41

Great news. However has it been condensed into this single book as it does not denote that it is the first of two volumes in the title. Should be a great read.

Kind regards.
"We believe in what we do!" - written in Friedrich Rainer's Guestbook by Odilo Globocnik in April 1943.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 19 Feb 2014, 02:53

To answer seaburn's question, the books have taken over 20 years to write. Parker worked with Westemeier in the research and his total output is well over 1000 pages. It is as deep and groundbreaking as anything written by Westemeier and has a lot more information that has never been published. Also the tone of the book is very professional. To answer trespasser, this is supposed to be only the first part of what may be a total of three to four books. If I am correct, this first part, originally called "A Deadly Past" deals with Peiper's post war-trial life. The other manuscripts will deal with the rest. However, publisher changes might have occurred since I last talked with Parker, so this book might actually have different content.

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 19 Feb 2014, 09:53

I haven't yet read a bio of Peiper as from reading other peoples reviews, I'm left with the opinion that most Peiper books although each with their own merit, are heavily weighted with bias and therefor not of particular interest to me. I prefer to read the facts and then make up my own mind about the subject, so I'll def be interested in this new book. I had got word from the 'wise' that it was in the pipeline, good to know when.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 20 Feb 2014, 02:58

You are right about bias. Agte's book, though very tactically detailed with a lot of excellent first person accounts, is heavily biased in portraying Peiper in the best light possible. Westemeier's book, though the research is great, has a very vindictive, almost personal tone, that seems very unprofessional. Parker's work, which I have read parts of, is neither "for or against." He portrays the facts as they are...

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 20 Feb 2014, 21:01

Tks 'Krichter33' I agree with your assertion on bias. While all these books are a 'must read' if you are studying the subject, for the casual reader who just wants the facts, Parker's book seems to fit the bill. In a 'weighted' book you would always be left wondering if the author has deliberately omitted evidence that does not suit his/her POV. I find that quite frustrating. I understand that WSS 'personalities' still elicit emotive responses in some people, but anything less than writing in an unemotional manner is quite unprofessional and actually a disservice to the reader IMO.

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 21 Feb 2014, 00:09

I too have read part of the manuscript for Danny Parker's book. The tone was very neutral throughout and appeared to be very well researched. It is probably the best book that someone new to Peiper could possibly read. Hopefully, this will be the last new Peiper book that anyone writes as I think the topic has been thoroughly covered. I'm personally tired of hearing about Peiper.

John

pim

Post by pim » 21 Feb 2014, 07:16

I could not agree more John. What is this obsession with Peiper? Actually I don't want anyone to answer that otherwise someone will then write a book about the obsession with Peiper !

nomis

Post by nomis » 21 Feb 2014, 11:02

Here's a thought...................................why not wait for the book to be released..........read it...........then decide what you think of it :-)

S.

Jochen S.

Post by Jochen S. » 21 Feb 2014, 14:36

Nomis,

I fully agree. And for people who don't want to hear or read about Peiper anymore - stop reading about him. Problem solved.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 22 Feb 2014, 00:07

With all the SS topics not written about; people, units, battles, I never understood why all act as if Peiper, Wittmann, and Tiger tanks are all there is to the Waffen-SS as well as expecting some 99% new data tome.

Next it will be 2 volumes on their underwear or Tiger tank lubricants and hoses.

nomis

Post by nomis » 22 Feb 2014, 16:06

Now where have I heard that before................................................................................................................

Having an interest in a subject does not mean having no interest in other subjects, or other elements of the same or similar subject.
This type of forum allows those of us who share an interest, or interests , to share knowledge or engage in conversation about our shared interest, even expand our knowledge and maybe that of others at the same time.
We are , unfortunately, not all blessed with an infinite knowledge of all things at all time.

Variety is the spice of life, but there's also no harm in a little ' going over old ground'. With so much undiscovered information out there, who knows what might turn up if you just ask the right person the right question at the right time.

SF.

Dutto1

Post by Dutto1 » 23 Feb 2014, 13:57

It's great news that Danny Parker's new book is coming out in December. I have read part of the manuscript too and it's top research.

People will say not another Peiper book,but Parker's last work Fatal Crossroads set a new standard on the Malmedy Massacre so for me it's not a problem.

Regards,

Ron

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”