Danny Parker's new Peiper book to be released.

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
seaburn

Re: Danny Parker's new Peiper book to be released.

Post by seaburn » 23 Feb 2014, 15:24

Where is everyone getting to read the manuscript !!!?? 8O . Have you all done this in private correspondence or is it out in the public domain ? If not, Mr Parker is obviously very generous with his 'work in progress' !!

nomis

Post by nomis » 23 Feb 2014, 20:34

I think DSP appreciates feedback on his work from those who have read it , wether in progress or completed.

I should imagine that whilst completing years of research with the culmination of a large [multi-volume] work, an author can see the merits of 'pre-publication' comments , and if required, make adjustments to suit. Particularly when the author knows a lot of eyes will be watching for that manuscript.
Anyway, hopefully such a long and exhaustive research process has mostly been enjoyable for the author.

SF.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 24 Feb 2014, 03:03

Fatal Crossroads was excellent!!!

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 25 Feb 2014, 02:07

While I have earlier expressed the sentiment that I don't care to read any more Peiper books, I do wish Danny Parker every success with this new book. I hope that it sets a benchmark for objective reporting and that other authors will follow his example. Besides Peiper, I do feel that there is too much hero worship of other Waffen-SS officers who were nothing more than war criminals and deserving of everyone's contempt. These men brought great discredit upon the entire Waffen-SS and among other things, probably caused the premature deaths of many of their surrendering comrades who were shot in reprisal by allied troops after the practice of some SS units to execute British, Canadian, US and Italian prisoners. I am thinking of such people as Kurt Meyer, Wilhelm Mohnke and Walter Reder. Perhaps Danny Parker will take on this group as his next project as he should certainly have the standing to produce a very credible piece of work.

John

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 25 Feb 2014, 03:02

Peiper is interesting, so is Meyer. But the WSS officers I have always wished there was more written about are men like Stadler, Harmel, Weidinger, Wisliceny....

Jochen S.

Post by Jochen S. » 25 Feb 2014, 17:29

It is however a missed opportunity that other esteemed authors who were in close contact with SS commanders like f.e. Kumm, Mohnke, Weidinger, Stadler, Lombard, Gohler and others didn't dare to dig as deep as Parker - and Westemeier - did!

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 26 Feb 2014, 02:55

Agreed!

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 26 Feb 2014, 22:06

Jochen S. wrote:It is however a missed opportunity that other esteemed authors who were in close contact with SS commanders like f.e. Kumm, Mohnke, Weidinger, Stadler, Lombard, Gohler and others didn't dare to dig as deep as Parker - and Westemeier - did!
And the number of 300-400 page books you've published to make such a comment are ? Zero. And let's see how many you do, how fast, with new data, in a lifetime. What a moronic comment while forgetting where you learned most of what you know, other than superficial web searches.

I agree with John, best sales wishes and success for anyone taking the time to do write anything and have it published. Rather than those with a contribution that consists of posting comments or "how to" while having published nothing themselves as if they "know."

Here he is at an early OdR meeting. From left are Lammerding, Krag, Peiper, and Barkmann.
Attachments
MY5727_410b.jpg

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 26 Feb 2014, 22:17

Everyone, drop the personal remarks are stay on topic, i.e. the book.

/Marcus

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 26 Feb 2014, 23:03

Perhaps this is a silly question for those in the 'know', but is there any significance in the fact that Peiper is not wearing his RK in the picture shown ?

Also, I would like to hijack the thread if permitted (although please split off if this is not appropriate) to ask if any of you know if there is anyone working on a Max Wunsche bio? I have so many questions that I would love answered. Like why did he spend 7 months after captivity in isolation in a hospital as his physical injuries do not appear to have been serious ? His first interrogation was in March 45 (WO208/3654) and he relayed this fact but not why he was kept separated. I also found it odd that he wasn't pumped for information about his time with Hitler, who of course was still alive at the time of interview. I would have thought he would have had significant information to relay(although by the comments of his interrogators, they would have had a hard job getting much out of him) but he wasn't asked in this interrogation anyway.

He also seems to have got away without being suspected of any involvement in war crimes as (WO208/3662) relays: "and it is noteworthy, that in the extensive files, kept in this office on the infamous deeds of the 1 and 12 SS Panzer divisions, his name does not occur once in connection with any atrocity". However as some of you will be aware, he was placed in Jefremowka on the day that the villagers were murdered although there is no corroborating evidence so far to indicate that he took part from any other source unlike Kurt Meyer. But all the same, it would be interesting to see someone having a dig as IMO he had a very interesting career, his time with Hitler, the Eastern Front, the Western Front, Captivity for four years as a 'black Nazi' and post war he seems to have laid low until laterally in 1990 when he was filmed still voicing his loyalty to his Furher!

Of course this is a ploy to try and twist the arms of some of you authors to get cracking on the book.........I live in hope !! :D

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 27 Feb 2014, 03:05

Someone earlier mentioned that it would be good to write the biography of Otto Weidinger. Mark Yerger actually wrote such a comprehensive biography and it was published by Schiffer back in 2000. This excellent book is still available and can be ordered from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/SS-Obersturmbannf ... +Weidinger

I should also point out that Mark Yerger actually knew Otto Weidinger very well in person for many years along with interviewing other members of Weidinger's "Der Führer" regiment in addition to obtaining archival material by personally visiting archives in the US and Europe. There is no substitute for actually looking your subject in the eyes and taking the measure of a man. This is primary research that few are able to do any more.

John

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 27 Feb 2014, 03:12

I know of all of Yerger's work, own all of them, and love all of them! I had a feeling he would post on here... :milwink:

Dutto1

Post by Dutto1 » 27 Feb 2014, 23:04

Mark C. Yerger wrote:
Jochen S. wrote:It is however a missed opportunity that other esteemed authors who were in close contact with SS commanders like f.e. Kumm, Mohnke, Weidinger, Stadler, Lombard, Gohler and others didn't dare to dig as deep as Parker - and Westemeier - did!
And the number of 300-400 page books you've published to make such a comment are ? Zero. And let's see how many you do, how fast, with new data, in a lifetime. What a moronic comment while forgetting where you learned most of what you know, other than superficial web searches.

I agree with John, best sales wishes and success for anyone taking the time to do write anything and have it published. Rather than those with a contribution that consists of posting comments or "how to" while having published nothing themselves as if they "know."

Here he is at an early OdR meeting. From left are Lammerding, Krag, Peiper, and Barkmann.
Mark,

I feel you are being very unfair with your comments towards Jochen S. He has done research and had contact with SS veterans.

I must agree with him too that in the cases of Kumm,Mohnke,Lombard and Gohler ,there is enough evidence to prove that their conduct during the war was not exactly in keeping with the Post-War myth of that all SS soldiers were innocent of warcrimes.

Otto Weidinger and Sylvester Stadler I can't comment on.

Regards,

Ron

Harro

Post by Harro » 28 Feb 2014, 00:25

Mark C. Yerger wrote:What a moronic comment while forgetting where you learned most of what you know, other than superficial web searches.
Quite an odd comment to make about someone who visited dozens of LAH veterans and exchanged tons of letters with even more of them. But that's you in a nutt shell, isn't it Mark? The big author in his ivory tower looking down on each and everyone who does not have the time and means to dedicate his live to writing books.

I cherish the memories of the numerous times "Jochen S." and I drove to the Ardennes for our annual meetings with veterans of KG Peiper and SG Knittel, our visits to veterans at their homes, our visit to the Kameradentreffen of the AA LAH, our trip to the Bundesarchiv in Freiburg, the valuable information about Knittel he shared with me after the countless phone calls and letters he exchanged with other veterans and his friendship through 15 years of research. "Superficial web searches"? Realy Mark, who's being "moronic" here? :roll:

Reader3000

Post by Reader3000 » 28 Feb 2014, 00:54

Very well said - also Gottlob Berger would be of high interest. And, if I may say so and as you mention to dare to dig as deep as Parker and Westemeier did (and also some others, e.g. the book about Hiag by Wilke), a book about writing history of these people - as in history of science - would be much appreciated, to put light on networks, their levels of interest etc.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”